Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt in a chlorine pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Salt in a chlorine pool

I've noticed on pool math that when I add chilorine I also add salt. What is the effect of adding salt to my chlorine pool? Does salt collect over time like CYA? Or does the salt break down? Do I need to do anything about it?
    In ground 30,000 gallon rectangular plaster/pebble pool, hot tub with blower, 2 HP Pentair WisperFlo Single Speed Pump, 420 Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, Pentair Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, Easy Touch Control System, Pentair 400K BTU heater, Interfab G Force Slide with dedicated 1 HP pump, Travertine Decking, CoverStar automatic pool cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Salt in a chlorine pool

It does add up a little over time but won't hurt anything. I keep my pool at 3000ppm salt but use bleach. Just like the feel of softer water
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, many things add salt to a pool and it does accumulate. All forms of chlorine, muriatic acid, tap water and people all add salt to a pool. Salt only leaves a pool through splash out, overflow, draining and carry out on bathers. Lots of people add 2000 ppm or so of salt to their pools to improve water feel. It feels better on skin and eyes.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Odds are if you asked this question to a typical pool store employee they would tell you that this is why you shouldn't use liquid chlorine. Then they will attempt to convince you to switch back to trichlor pucks. They will, of course, leave out that trichlor also adds salt to the pool. This is why when people in your neck of the woods tell us that their builder warned them of the dangers of salt most of us just have to laugh, every pool has salt in the water.

The only situation you would need to worry about is if you decide to install an SWG. Sometimes people will forget to test their salt level first and just dump in 2500 ppm of salt, then wonder why their SWG is telling them it can't run. Other than that, no worries.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath