Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Resurfacing a gunite pool please advise

1. Back To Top    #1

Resurfacing a gunite pool please advise

My pool is due to be resurfaced/ repainted. I am kind of a pioneer diy-er and repainted my pool in 2012 jet black.
    The results were stunning but the paint did not retain it's blackness. So now I am considering jet black epoxy coating.
    I spoke to a pool contractor who did not advise epoxy because he said the color does not stay either. He showed me the closest thing to black which was black pebbles. The issue I have with that is that the pebbles,although very dark , are not uniform in color and the bottom will still be visible.
    Another option would be resurfacing with fiber glass and black epoxy. Any advice on color fastness and life expectancy on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sample pictures at: Sample pics. - Google Photos
    25yr old 16,000 gal, IG, 2017 re-done Plaster/black onyx pebbles , 1.5HP variable speed pump, DE filter Nautilus 50sqft, 2" PVC pipe. ..Spa,... Location:So. CA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Resurfacing a gunite pool please advise

Agreed that paint and epoxy will,only last 2 or 3 years. We have black pebblesheen and the black plaster started fading in a few years, now after 5 years it is more gray than black. The only black finish that I know that holds its color is aquabright. But, it is expensive. More expensive here, Pool School - Pool Surfaces
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach