Spa spillover and pump question

May 12, 2016
Katy, Texas
Hi all,

I've had the pool up and running for a about 8 months now and everything has gone pretty smooth (aside from a SWG not working correctly). I've been running my pump at 1800 with no problems whatsoever to keep the spillover working as intended. If i drop the pump to 1600 the spillover doesn't have enough flow so the spa water is not going back into the pool but rather just sitting by itself (with one jet flowing). I figure as long as the chlorine is at proper levels then this isn't a problem. I currently run the pump for 8 hours a day but will probably move it up to 10 when summer hits. I would like to save as much electricity as possible so that's why I'm entertaining not having the spilllover running the whole time.

Thanks

P,

Does your pool have automation? If so, you should be able to program it to turn on your spillover once a day for half an hour or so. The rest of the time it can be shut off. This will keep the water in the Spa fresh and chlorinated.

I notice that you have a 20K pool and the IC20. Just wanted to make sure you knew that the IC20 is a little small for your pool, so you will need to keep an eye on your FC level as the summer gets here. I suspect you will have to be running at or near 100% most of the time.

The good news is that if needed, you can run your Intelliflo 24/7 at 1,200 RPM for less than $20 bucks a month.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

P,

Does your pool have automation? If so, you should be able to program it to turn on your spillover once a day for half an hour or so. The rest of the time it can be shut off. This will keep the water in the Spa fresh and chlorinated.

I notice that you have a 20K pool and the IC20. Just wanted to make sure you knew that the IC20 is a little small for your pool, so you will need to keep an eye on your FC level as the summer gets here. I suspect you will have to be running at or near 100% most of the time.

The good news is that if needed, you can run your Intelliflo 24/7 at 1,200 RPM for less than $20 bucks a month.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Hi Jim,

My pool is actually 18k but yes, my pool builder incorrectly sized my SWG and it pisses me off they wouldn't change it. No automation but I do cycle through pump speeds. The magic cut off for pump to keep the spillover running is 1700. IF I run it at 1600 the spillover does not have enough pressure so it stays in the spa. My plan is to have the spillover have enough pressure (pump running at 1800rpm for a couple hours) then drop it down to 1400 rpm for the rest of the time. That should keep the spa water properly mixed all while keeping aeration down. Hopefully 10 to 12 hours is enough to keep up with chlorine demand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.