Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CoolDeck Vs sundek

1. Back To Top    #1

CoolDeck Vs sundek

I have 2 quotes for refinishing my pool deck..Its a large 2550 sq ft deck thats 3/4 KoolDeck and rest new concrete..Edcore products makes a Cooldeck that sounds like a great product but quote was expensive. SunDeck does a concrete type coating and about 30% less..Has anybody had any experience with either? Both companies will grind the old down.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CoolDeck Vs sundek

Had Sundeck at old house. Looked nice and felt ok under foot. Any cracks in the deck would eventually lead to flaking around the crack. Had to have the deck jackhammerred a few times to repair plumbing issues below it and the punched area was able to be matched to the rest without a noticeable difference. The texture holds onto dirt. You'll need to plan on pressure washing at least once a year.
    Main Pool: Cl Rectangular Pool/Spa Combo (same height) // Jandy RS8 Controller w/iAquaLink // Jandy VS Flow Pro Pump + Booster // Jandy Heater // Jandy DE Filter // 9,000 Gallons
    Vacation Pool: NaCl Rectangular Pool/Spa Combo (elevated spa) // Jandy RS4 Controller w/iAquaLink // Jandy Stealth Pump (Converted to 2hp 2-Speed) + Booster // Jandy Heater // Jany DE Filter // 9,000 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I think I am going to go with sundek..I have around 2600 sq ft of surface and sundek was about $6000 less the edcore Cooldeck..I am asking for 2 sealer coats also.

4. Back To Top    #4

If my math is right, it sounds like your quotes were on the order of 12k vs 18k (based on 30% being about 6k savings). If that's the case, that sounds really steep.

When I worked with these concrete coating companies, some of their practices were a bit questionable. 1) the square footage measured from one company to the other differed by a considerable margin. 2) their pricing is set up where the price they bid you at is significantly higher than what they charge builders. When I was starting with them, they came in at around $5 per square foot. I mentioned that I was building my own pool and I know that the builder rate is around $2 per square foot. He said he'd have to check with the manager and later came back with $1.85 per square foot ($2.85 for old concrete since they'd have to grind it down). All the said, these guys are probably negotiable. You can also buy the material yourself online and apply with a roller. Here's the product that comes to mind: https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Pool-Dec...ords=kool+deck

Even if that doesn't appeal to you, it can be a bottom line in negotiations.

Good luck.

5. Back To Top    #5

My PB was adamantly against going with Cooldeck or Sundek. He said he never recommends them to any of his customers and did mention how they stain and become dirty over time.

We decided to go with travertine instead. It is about $13-$14/sqft installed.