CoolDeck Vs sundek

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
I have 2 quotes for refinishing my pool deck..Its a large 2550 sq ft deck thats 3/4 KoolDeck and rest new concrete..Edcore products makes a Cooldeck that sounds like a great product but quote was expensive. SunDeck does a concrete type coating and about 30% less..Has anybody had any experience with either? Both companies will grind the old down.

Had Sundeck at old house. Looked nice and felt ok under foot. Any cracks in the deck would eventually lead to flaking around the crack. Had to have the deck jackhammerred a few times to repair plumbing issues below it and the punched area was able to be matched to the rest without a noticeable difference. The texture holds onto dirt. You'll need to plan on pressure washing at least once a year.

If my math is right, it sounds like your quotes were on the order of 12k vs 18k (based on 30% being about 6k savings). If that's the case, that sounds really steep.

When I worked with these concrete coating companies, some of their practices were a bit questionable. 1) the square footage measured from one company to the other differed by a considerable margin. 2) their pricing is set up where the price they bid you at is significantly higher than what they charge builders. When I was starting with them, they came in at around $5 per square foot. I mentioned that I was building my own pool and I know that the builder rate is around $2 per square foot. He said he'd have to check with the manager and later came back with $1.85 per square foot ($2.85 for old concrete since they'd have to grind it down). All the said, these guys are probably negotiable. You can also buy the material yourself online and apply with a roller. Here's the product that comes to mind: https://www.amazon.com/Cool-Pool-Deck-Coating-Square/dp/B006I99IJQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490062483&sr=8-1&keywords=kool+deck

Even if that doesn't appeal to you, it can be a bottom line in negotiations.

Good luck.

My PB was adamantly against going with Cooldeck or Sundek. He said he never recommends them to any of his customers and did mention how they stain and become dirty over time.

We decided to go with travertine instead. It is about $13-$14/sqft installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.