Odd Pool Stains

lovemyazpool

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 16, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I will admit I have been remiss in keeping up with the pool. As a pilot, I am gone a week at a time and it seems my kids don't have the time to sweep and run the vac like they have been asked. Now that we are getting ready for summer (91 here in AZ today) we want to get the pool ready to go. Here is what I am dealing with:

screen 2017-03-11 at 2.47.14 PM.jpg
screen 2017-03-11 at 2.47.05 PM.jpg

Here are my pool water stats:

FC: 6
CC: 0
pH: 7.7
TA: 80
CH: 330
CYA: 80
SALT: 2800
BORATE: 50
TEMP: 66
CSI: -0.41

We started with a good brushing and vacuuming, no good. I then tried to use a soft-sided plastic pool scrubber, won't make a dent in it. Since I am using a SWG, I fo not have any tabs to try as I have read elsewhere. I did read the forum post on dumping like 8 gallons of acid in the pool after shutting all the pumps, etc off but since this is a full plaster pool and that was a person with a pebbletec, I am not sure if it is a good idea.

I guess I am looking for advice as to how to go from here. I don't really want to drain the pool to cure this problem since we just drained and refilled it about 12 to 18 months ago. We are not having any issues with algae, metals, etc - just these stupid stains.

Thanks!

Can you get some vitamin C tablets, put them in a sock and let them sit in the stains for 20-30mins?

You can buy a trichlor tablet for like a $1 at any Leslie's or some dichlor powder in a sock to check for algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, I did both the Vitamin C and the Trichlor for 30 minutes each in two different spots. No change at all on either spot after 30 minutes. I guess the good news is that my pool has had it's daily allowance of Vitamin C!

OK, I redid my test today with the Vitamin C and trichlor. After 30 minutes there was a little slightly lighter "halo" where the sock with the Vitamin C was sitting.

@kimkats - the area feels the same as the surrounding areas, I cannot feel any roughness or anything that feels like it is a buildup of any type.

screen 2017-03-12 at 12.34.13 PM.jpg

Possibly copper stains. Old copper scale is a fully oxidized form of copper (CuO) which is brownish colored and VERY difficult to remove.

I suggest you purchase a Jacks Magic Stain ID kit to fully rule out other metals. Then, once you confirm it's copper, Jacks Magic has a protocol for removing copper stains. However, to effectively get rid of the copper laden water after the process is done, you would ideally want to drain a good portion, if not most of the pool water.

Check your pool heater for corrosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.