Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Odd Pool Stains

1. Back To Top    #1

Odd Pool Stains

I will admit I have been remiss in keeping up with the pool. As a pilot, I am gone a week at a time and it seems my kids don't have the time to sweep and run the vac like they have been asked. Now that we are getting ready for summer (91 here in AZ today) we want to get the pool ready to go. Here is what I am dealing with:

screen 2017-03-11 at 2.47.14 PM.jpg
    screen 2017-03-11 at 2.47.05 PM.jpg

Here are my pool water stats:

FC: 6
    CC: 0
    pH: 7.7
    TA: 80
    CH: 330
    CYA: 80
    SALT: 2800
    BORATE: 50
    TEMP: 66
    CSI: -0.41

We started with a good brushing and vacuuming, no good. I then tried to use a soft-sided plastic pool scrubber, won't make a dent in it. Since I am using a SWG, I fo not have any tabs to try as I have read elsewhere. I did read the forum post on dumping like 8 gallons of acid in the pool after shutting all the pumps, etc off but since this is a full plaster pool and that was a person with a pebbletec, I am not sure if it is a good idea.

I guess I am looking for advice as to how to go from here. I don't really want to drain the pool to cure this problem since we just drained and refilled it about 12 to 18 months ago. We are not having any issues with algae, metals, etc - just these stupid stains.

Thanks!
    33,000 Gallon, IG Plaster
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    Pentair Triton II TR100 Sand Filter
    Pentair IntelliFlo Pump
    AutoPilot SWG & Chemical Controller

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Odd Pool Stains

Can you get some vitamin C tablets, put them in a sock and let them sit in the stains for 20-30mins?

You can buy a trichlor tablet for like a $1 at any Leslie's or some dichlor powder in a sock to check for algae.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Matt -

Will do. I will report back what I find.
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    Pentair IntelliFlo Pump

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, I did both the Vitamin C and the Trichlor for 30 minutes each in two different spots. No change at all on either spot after 30 minutes. I guess the good news is that my pool has had it's daily allowance of Vitamin C!
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    Pentair IntelliFlo Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Can you feel the spots? Are they raised or lowered? Do they feel any different than the surrounding area?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, I redid my test today with the Vitamin C and trichlor. After 30 minutes there was a little slightly lighter "halo" where the sock with the Vitamin C was sitting.

@kimkats - the area feels the same as the surrounding areas, I cannot feel any roughness or anything that feels like it is a buildup of any type.

screen 2017-03-12 at 12.34.13 PM.jpg
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit
    Pentair IntelliFlo Pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Odd Pool Stains

Possibly copper stains. Old copper scale is a fully oxidized form of copper (CuO) which is brownish colored and VERY difficult to remove.

I suggest you purchase a Jacks Magic Stain ID kit to fully rule out other metals. Then, once you confirm it's copper, Jacks Magic has a protocol for removing copper stains. However, to effectively get rid of the copper laden water after the process is done, you would ideally want to drain a good portion, if not most of the pool water.

Check your pool heater for corrosion.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates