Old School Pool

Ok. Sorry guys. I was confused. I thought that pool math was going to tell me what my FC should be. I did not realize you have to tell it what you want it to be. So I found the CYA/Chlorine chart and see that for CYA 50 I should be running 6-8. So I added 450 oz bleach according to a target of 8. Hope I'm on the right track now. PH still 7.5. I've tested CYA 3 times and have gotten 50 every time. My TA is down to 100.

Congratulations on getting in the house and working on the pool!! I love that you call it "The Beast"!
I ALMOST bought that same robot, but went a different route. You're gonna LOVE having the robot! He/she needs a name!! Mine is Wall-E ;) The grandkids love it and always ask about him when they come over.

Blessings on your new home!

Oh! Haha! I just saw in your siggy you're calling your robot The Beast Master! LOVE IT!!

Actually, once you input your gallons, zip down to the bottom of the page and input into the yellow "suggested levels" section that you want to follow "troublefreepool.com" "plaster" and how you want to chlorinate. Then go back up to input your actual test results in the left hand column. The program will actually help you by suggesting acceptable ranges for each test in the same box. You may not have noticed it. But it has to know what type of pool and how you chlorinate first.Screen Shot 2017-03-11 at 4.10.30 PM.jpg

Yip :flower:

YIP! That is a great find/idea! I forgot about that one! DOH!

Tonight?? You don't want to waste anytime setting up house! Well it has been 12 years in coming so...........enjoy and make sure to soak in a hot tub to ease those tired, unpacking muscles! An adult drink will not hurt too much either!

:hug: You will be able to have coffee by your pool in the morning!

Kim:kim:

Good Morning!

Got coffee at Dunkin Donuts first thing and have tested fill water and retested pool water using speed stir. The speed stir is sooo nice! Love it. Fill water results are:

pH 7.8
TA 50
CH 150

New Pool Water results:

FC 8
CC 0
TC 8
pH 7.5
TA 90
CH 275
CYA 50

Pool math worked great to get my FC up to 8 in one add last night.

Please chime in if there is something else I need to know or do.

Thanks!

Crystal

Your pool is a happy pool! LOVE the numbers in the pool AND your fill numbers as well. That will be some easy water to work with!

Get some important stuff unpacked and let us know when you are ready to work on the equipment!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kim. I am going to work on equipment this afternoon. I am wanting to do a backwash on sand filter. Pressure is running too high...getting up to 30 when skimmers get full. I also want to look in puck feeder. I don't think there is anything in it because when they opened the pool I did not buy anything from them to put in it and the FC was only 3ish when I got here. I do know they put in shock when they opened 2 weeks ago which would account for some FC. But when I verify that there are no pucks...I need to know if I am supposed to turn the feeder off or just let it be or what?

Thanks!

Well then guess you don't need me :pth: LOL

Good job son! Did he tell you what he had to do to fix it?

On the backwash and any time doing anything with the filter make sure turn the handle in one direction only. This will keep the gasket from bunching up.

When doing a backwash don't forget to run the rinse cycle afterwards. I am going to share a link to help you see how a sand filter works. I helped me to now how it works:

Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

:hug: go unpack a box for me! LOL

Well. He did not tell me anything. But I saw him fiddling with the handle on the top. I think he googled the manual and read up on it. I will mention the handle turning thing to him and make sure he is aware, but I guess he fixed it because water has stopped coming out the top. I will still be asking lots of questions and I will read the article. Looks great! Thanks!

Well...I've been a pool owner for 2 1/2 weeks now! I'm feeling confident on my testing skills and my water looks sparktacular!!! I've learned so much here and am happy to be in charge of my pool destiny. Thanks to TFP and all the wonderful people here. You guys rock my pool world.

Now that I have the water basics down...I will be considering equipment upgrades and adds for the future. Maybe a SWG? Maybe some solar? First up is probably a deep clean on the sand filter and/or some gasket replacement. I would like to get my equipment pad looking nice and neat too.

I don't really have a question here...I'm just thinking out loud. Now that most of the unpacking, cleaning, and organizing is done with the move, I can focus on the upcoming pool season.

I'm off to read about deep cleaning the sand filter with Kim's link suggestion above.

Have as great a Monday as possible!

Crystal

I have something for you to buy/find before you go opening anything:

https://www.amazon.com/Lube-Tube-Pool-Gasket-Lubricant/dp/B004GE8MZ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490637425&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=pool+lube&psc=1

You should be able to buy it cheaper but this is the first one I saw so.......

You have many o-rings. They need this stuff to help them seal. It is messy so have working on yucky things clothes and LOTS of paper towels to wipe your fingers on.

How much bleach are you adding each day? What is your water temp?

I am SO happy you are feeling good about what you are doing with the pool!

I wonder with this big of a pool if it would be a good idea to raise that CYA before OKC summer sun/heat hits. CYA is a bit of a double edged sword but that big of a pool is going to burn some chlorine in the sun and the CYA will help buffer the suns rays. I'd definitely look at going salt on this beast.

To tell you the truth I don't think the bigger the pool the more CYA you need. So long as your water circulates and mixes well then you should be good.

We will work on tweaking the values as you find your "normal" for you pool. The log/journal will be the key to this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.