Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Quad D. E. Filter Installation

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Quad D. E. Filter Installation

Seeking advice on installation since I plan to do this myself.
    The filter is a Pentair Quad D.E. 100. Pool is 23,000 vinyl lined Chlorine pool.

Wanted to know if you guys would suggest adding a multi port valve or sliding valve or no valve at all if I plan to open it up to clean it each time.

What are your thoughts?
    Thanks
    In South Carolina
    23K IG Vinyl Lined Pool. Pentair D.E. Quad 100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Quad D. E. Filter Installation

A multiport valve would give you the ability to backwash when needed in a pinch, and also to drain/vacuum to waste when needed to remove junk or simply lower the water level.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Rock,

I agree with only opening and cleaning the filter, but like Pat, I would install a multiport valve just because it gives you the most options.. It would cost a little more, but I think well worth it.

Oh!! Keep posting, at this point you are up to one post a year...

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

The multiport valve gives you the most options. If you ever need to vacuum to waste , leaves, lots of debris, ... Slide valve is simple, but waste lots of DE during cleanups. Hopefully you'll follow TFP recommendations and never have problems.

10,000 gallons IG Freeform, 8ft raised spa,pebble finish
    FNS 60 Sqft DE Filter,2HP Whisperflow for Pool/Spa filtering
    2HP Whisperflow for Spa jets
    1HP Whisperflow for Waterfall
    Master Temp 400,000 Btu Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't backwash my QuadDE 100 and I don't think you will either. I simply tear it down twice a year. I have the simple plunger style backwash valve but could very easily envision myself removing it and not replacing it if it breaks or leaks. Where I live, dry desert, you try NOT to backwash or vacuum to waste as much as possible because water costs money.

I know of at least one QuadDE guy that purchased the MPV but never installed it. I think it's a waste of money and just one more thing to spring a leak or need fixing.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Yes I don't post much but I can't tell you how much knowledge I have gained from this site or how many times I have shared it over the years.
    This is the only site I trust when it comes to pool anything.

Thanks so much for everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and since I live on the east coast and from time to time we do get a lot of rain and lowering the pool is a frequent event I plan to install the MPV.

Tropical storms and just sometimes rain in general seems to come and not stop so for that reason alone I can see the benefits.

Thanks again.
    In South Carolina
    23K IG Vinyl Lined Pool. Pentair D.E. Quad 100