NEW build in PA !!

We have a very large "slide" formation that sees plenty of jumping. We knew it would and went 8' for our depth in that area. Jumping from 6' or so in the air this depth seems to be fine.

I can attest firsthand to the insurance situation. We were blindsided (because we didn't take full advantage of the helpful folks on this forum) when I called to update our insurance. I was informed that due to our slide they wouldn't be able to extend coverage beyond our renewal date. I called our broker and he asked if we also had a diving board. I told him about our waterfall/slide and he requested photos in order to properly quote our new acquisition. He told me that there are very few companies providing coverage for slides and even fewer for pools with diving boards. The quote I received was 80% over what our previous policy had been. I reached out to another broker whom I've done business with and he had additional companies for which he was able to quote. He was able to secure comparable coverage for just 10% over our previous rate sans pool. I was concerned that they may deny coverage upon inspection, but all is well. Just something to keep in mind when figuring your pool ownership/operating costs down the road.
6eaf357819673f5f0903de926a9014b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will let you research the depths needed for jumping rocks and slides. I think you will get more hits if you look at the "rules" for slides. BUT make sure to check with your insurance before you spend too much time on the other just in case you decide to not go that way.

Kim:kim:

71861e8c2fab4dd7c7a030a6ed5ebbd6.jpg
2ea3abb336ce9c71a943b02231b0f72a.jpg
4397e14c0a73c3215cdfb9773a33e8f2.jpg

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )

Here we go....digging this week! Any thoughts or recommendations??

Spring 2017 new build in PA ! //// Pool on a big hill //// IG SWG 800 sqft +100 sqft sun shelf + 50 sqft spa. //// All Jandy Pro series equipment (help me choose which models !) //// SGM River Rok or Diamond Brite (help me choose!) //// Stamped Concrete, Pavers, or Stone (help me choose ! )

Double check the form when they lay it out in the yard and make sure it's correct and then measure it. Your form should be about 2 feet larger all the way around than the actual pool to account for steel, gunite, and plaster

I love the design! Something for everyone!

The one thing I would tweak is the step in the shallow end. See how it and the shelf form a corer? They can flare the step out so there is no corner for dirt to get caught in. The other side is purrfect. It is a small thing but you will glad you saw it when it is time to set your vacuum free and it can get there!

Do you have any idea what day the dig will be??? Have they painted out the pool yet?

Will is spot on with what you need to do when they set the forms.

I love the design! Something for everyone!

The one thing I would tweak is the step in the shallow end. See how it and the shelf form a corer? They can flare the step out so there is no corner for dirt to get caught in. The other side is purrfect. It is a small thing but you will glad you saw it when it is time to set your vacuum free and it can get there!

Do you have any idea what day the dig will be??? Have they painted out the pool yet?

Will is spot on with what you need to do when they set the forms.

Thanks for the idea on the steps. Dig was tomorrow but we got 1.5" of rain and my access area is too wet. Probably late this week or early next week. They are coming to paint the grass tomorrow.

What do you think of location of the drains, skimmers, lights, etc??

Light ideas:

-light at the bottom of the picture-move it to under the water fall. Think how pretty that will be all lit up! and it should also help light up the steps there.

-I like the light at the top on the sun shelf but worry about the steps being in shadows BUT do not want the light pointing at the spa...so it will have to work there.

returns- returns in the bottom? WHAT?

-you need a return on the shelf

-I would also put a return on the place just on the other side of the spa (by the waterfall) to push surface stuff to the return better.

Bottom drains-why two sets?

Make sure everything is plumbed with it's own valve so you have complete control. You need to ask for the "good" valves as well as seen here:

Pool Valves | Jandy Pro Series

Bottom returns are fine though they aren't that helpful with moving your surface water in a circular motion to be skimmed. With your very organic shaped pool, I'm wondering if two skimmers is enough. I'd be interested in one on the right between the spa and the waterfalls. One wall return is inadequate unless i missed some. I'd want 4 wall returns if that were my pool.

You pool seems ideal for a higher quantity of lower powered nicheless lights. Maybe 5-8 spread throughout. Maybe Joannie can offer a lighting plan suggestion? If she's not too busy painting, building furniture or DIY'ing her pool. Then you could also use automation for fantastic light shows to boot (but that's just a bonus to getting more even light distribution).

There are currently 2 wall returns, I think I like the idea of adding another between spa and waterfall. I also like idea of adding another light under the waterfall area but I'like have to ask the cost of that as I've heard they are $$$$$

Not sure why 2 sets of double drains are shown? Thinking its a misprint

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I second the suggestion on more lights. I think you'll end up with some shaded areas with the way it's configured now. The one on the shelf is a good idea to light up the shelf but won't do much for lighting up the shallow end. I would do one to the side of the skimmer in shallow end on the side further from the spa. And in the deep end I would do one between the waterfall and spa. If you do it under the waterfall I think you'll have a shadow in the area where the granite counter is.

Where is the house in relation to the pool? That also has an impact on where to position the lights. Either way I think you need 3 in the pool for that size and shape.

i think you need another light too. have them use the smaller globrite's. way cheaper and they are really bright. my pool is 35 long also and 23/20 wide and i am using 3 and how we have them spaced at this time will seem to give me proper coverage.

the bottom return? they using one of those drains or a true return? maybe that's why they have the 2 drains pictured. if you have bottom returns i would have them do a true return, not that drain/switch to a return thing that other companies do. from what i was told the best way to do bottom returns to circulate the heated surface water, cause that's what they are used for primarily vs skimming for cleaning, is straight down the middle of the long length of the pool with 3 usually. i only did 1 in my deeper end cause i didn't want all that under shell plumbing.

something about lights with automation that i didn't ask on my build yet. i heard if you put each light on it's own circuit in a pentair easy touch you can do some kinda swim motion effect with the lights since they all can fire and do their own thing vs having them all on one circuit.

78e2ecd96022d20e297d31b929132cd3.jpg
be83220f6a8136176ff079c6d18f3cea.jpg
b0ef00a119740505a0639f3fdf9ab786.jpg
573a58122d10b9dfaccf7edb2f6b3e59.jpg

Excavation finished in 2 days. It was almost all shale, so that was a little difficult. Rebar in 3 days.

It is a wonder anything will grow on that! WOW!

Now your job is to go out with a tape measure. Add about 8 inches for gunite and plaster. It is wide, long, deep, etc enough? NOW is the time to fix/tweak it if you want. Know the water depth will be to the middle of the skimmer face.

Looks like I'm good on measurements. About 2 feet wider all the way around.

The depth doesn't look perfectly even in areas but I'm assuming they correct that when they do rebar and gunite

Do you think a return is needed on sun shelf even if water is 14" deep?

The shell is in!

e6679d76679b512f427d46ed748225e5.jpg
70857803b5291d8bc0ad8cf8ac9320b1.jpg
bd466e9ca84bc86f87a37ebfebee0caf.jpg
78ce898dd1e299af8250492eac9d659c.jpg
6ed5aa723107f7cb931a259402dc803a.jpg

:party: let the bonding begin! aka watering! Try to water it good twice a day. If you get tired of hand watering it you can use a sprinkler. This helps with the curing. There might still be some cracking so that is okay.

Guess what time it is...................Time for your own set of links!

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Please ask your PB what test kit he will provide. Let us know so we can fill in any holes!

WOW! I love how that looks!

So, I asked my pool builder and he said no need to water. Is there a kind of gunite that doesn't require it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.