Vegas OB! Just got plans back and need some feedback (pics included :) )

Hey Will! I think you're switching to your swg system, so I thought I would re-post what I did on Cliff's build thread when he asked what would happen when the salt system is up and running. Now you have your own copy handy. I just copied it as is. Be sure to ask questions and look on TFP for more information!

Mama Suz

SWG: What will happen when you switch over to the salt system? Birds will sing, flowers will pop up and wave to you, and sweet flute melodies will hum in your head!! Lol!!!

When you switch, most of the chem level ranges will change. So keep your charts handy. For me, I had a new learning curve with the start up of the swg, but it was pretty simple. No nerve-racking worries over hurting the plaster. The first 30 days kind of was my internship of water maintenance. It gave me a good foundation of water chemistry (of course, I'm still learning), and allowed me to focus on that instead of having to learn about the swg system at the same time as the basic chemistry. That worked well for me. Again, the ranges change. You get a break from adding so much bleach so often. But you will still add some bleach from time to time. Remind us and we will help you make those decisions when they come up.

What will you need to do and learn?
** decide on an FC level you want to shoot for. That also depends on your CYA you shoot for.
** How much chlorine is produced by the salt water generator is a combination of the % of the salt cell and the number of hours you run the pumps.
** Someone from TFP will help you determine the # of hours to run your pumps.
** The cell only works when the pump is running. So if you set your cell for 50%, it will only produce salt half the time the main pump is running. If that doesn't get your target FC, then you need to adjust either salt cell % or pump run time OR both.
** The more you run your pump, the more electricity costs you incur. The higher % you set your salt cell, the shorter the life of the cell. These are pretty minute unless your electricity is very expensive. In that case, your focus might be more on keeping the pump run time low and cell % higher to save electricity.
** Right now in July, I run my pump about 9 hours a day with my cell at 75%. The first year, I had to have higher pump hours on and higher cell %. I can't tell you why.
** There are many factors involved in your FC requirement -- the same you experienced before the swg system was on: weather, swimmer load and frequency, water temperature, organic debris in the pool, etc
** I had to learn to be flexible and be willing to make frequent adjustments in the very beginning.
** For me, most of my adjustments this past year occurred when seasons change causing continual rises or drops in water temperature. Here is Houston, the cell % and pump run times are very steady. I supplement for slight drops with some chlorine.

That's all I can think of now. I will or someone else will add more later if I left something out.

I promise you will love having the salt cell once you get into the swing of it.

I ran across this thread that has a calculator to find a starting point for setting your cell % and pump run times. After you find that, then you adjust or fine tune your cell and pump to get the FC you want to target. I think for me, it's more complicated than it's worth. I'm not that much into technology, so it would take me longer to use the calculator than to use the guess and check. But there were some very positive responses from people who found it very helpful.

Here's the link:
SWG Run Time Calculator

Will - our pool is 15k gallons, full California sun 95-105 temps lately. If it isn't over 100 outside, we will hover around 84-85, if I put the blanket on top, I can hit 92-93. The evening heat loss is the biggest factor. I find without the blanket, I'm back to mid 80's in 2 days. 2 days with blanket at night, and I'm right back to 90ish.

Also - I thought we would use a ton of MA so I bought 8 gallons when we opened the pool. I have 5 of them chilling the the garage right now.

Bleach on the other hand, I could do 1/2 gallon a day and barely keep up. My CYA is only at 30 which doesn't help the sun exposure and FC loss as a result. I'm floating a trichlor tab or 2 to help raise CYA and keep a slow trickle of chlorine to the pool. Maintaining CSI around +/- .15 to ensure things are nicely balanced.

I had to add a bit of calcium and a bit of baking soda 3 weeks ago.

Overall my chemical usage has been quite low (except bleach).

Also - I thought we would use a ton of MA so I bought 8 gallons when we opened the pool. I have 5 of them chilling the the garage right now.

Bleach on the other hand, I could do 1/2 gallon a day and barely keep up. My CYA is only at 30 which doesn't help the sun exposure and FC loss as a result. I'm floating a trichlor tab or 2 to help raise CYA and keep a slow trickle of chlorine to the pool. Maintaining CSI around +/- .15 to ensure things are nicely balanced.

I had to add a bit of calcium and a bit of baking soda 3 weeks ago.

Overall my chemical usage has been quite low (except bleach).

Ryan,
I appreciate you chiming in on your chemical usage, for the longest time I thought I was doing something wrong lol. But the more I read I see other pools are acting similar which makes me happy. My SWG was installed today so I'm looking forward to barely doing anything to my pool except heating it and swimming
I have considered doing a solar blanket but since my pool is free form I really didn't want to mess with it. But I may reconsider especially since it gets the pool to 90+ degrees.

Hey neighbor...Been kinda busy, as my landscaper finally decided I was worthy of his labor, and, am just now catching up after that chaos. So, I had some time to check in to see what's up with TFP.

I'm sorry I didn't get to contribute some data points from across the 4 lane, but better late than never I guess. Our pool (3-5 ft depth), east west orientation, on north side of the house, gets very little shade until after about 5 pm, has been starting off in the 79-81 degree range (82 right now, ambient air temp 98), and has hit as high as 89 degrees, but is usually 85-86 by the early afternoon. You've got about 50% more water than we do, so it sounds like you're not doing too bad temp wise. For me, above 84 degrees, the water feels less "refreshing". For the wife, she likes it at 87 or higher. (we really had to compromise on the spa temp!) So, I understand that everyone likes a different temperature.

You are really lucky with your MA consumption rate. I've got to add 1/2 gallon of acid every other day to mine, but I try to keep it around 7.2-7.5 due to the high calcium in my water (currently 750) I am also envious of your calcium level! I even tested the neighbors pool across the street to make sure I was testing correctly (his is even higher than mine) It's interesting how things are very different, when we live so close. Maybe that pool fairy is putting my acid in your pool? LOL

And if you're still reading this Foxy, where are you getting the 26% acid concentration? I can only find 14.5% stuff, and I'd love to use a more concentrated version, so it took up less storage room.

I buy the 29% MA at Leslie's, it's the only thing I buy from a pool store. You have to ask for it, it comes in a 2 pack and says something like Desert Blend on the box, it's around $12.
People say you can find the higher strength at hardware stores, Lowes, HD, but I haven't been able to find it here or maybe I need to look harder. I use to get the 31.45% 2 gallon boxes at NPS Pro/Contractor store a couple years ago, but they were bought out by Leslie's and the highest they have is the 29%.

My plaster is 2 weeks old and I'm only needing to add acid every other day now to keep it at 7.4, I could probably even go 3 days if I dropped to 7.2, so I'm using less acid than I expected. My CH is 300 in Henderson, yours is crazy high! My water temps are similar to yours, my pool is full sun from morning to about 6pm right now, 15k gallons, with a slightly darker finish, mine got to 90 when we weren't having so much rain, it seems to be around 86 at 7pm most days which is when I do my testing.

Ryan,
I appreciate you chiming in on your chemical usage, for the longest time I thought I was doing something wrong lol. But the more I read I see other pools are acting similar which makes me happy. My SWG was installed today so I'm looking forward to barely doing anything to my pool except heating it and swimming
I have considered doing a solar blanket but since my pool is free form I really didn't want to mess with it. But I may reconsider especially since it gets the pool to 90+ degrees.

We have used a solar blanket for 4 years, it does help raise the temp and can get to over 90 degrees in the summer. We mostly use it to extend swimming time in the spring and fall since we don't have a heater. I will say though, it's not fun to use lol...but we don't have a heater to use. We have a free form pool also, but we don't cut it to fit, tried that the 1st year and it was too much of a PITA...so now we buy a blanket the width of our narrowest section and just run it down the center of the pool length wise, it just leaves a few small areas of the curves exposed, but it still helps raise the temp. If you do decide to try out a solar blanket, check out the program the water district offers for a discount Pool Cover Instant Rebate Coupon
BTW, a pool cover here only lasts 2-3 years before the bubbles start coming off and making a mess ;).

I think you'd prefer to use your heater though once it's working. Hope that's fixed soon!

I buy the 29% MA at Leslie's, it's the only thing I buy from a pool store. You have to ask for it, it comes in a 2 pack and says something like Desert Blend on the box, it's around $12.
People say you can find the higher strength at hardware stores, Lowes, HD, but I haven't been able to find it here or maybe I need to look harder. I use to get the 31.45% 2 gallon boxes at NPS Pro/Contractor store a couple years ago, but they were bought out by Leslie's and the highest they have is the 29%.

My plaster is 2 weeks old and I'm only needing to add acid every other day now to keep it at 7.4, I could probably even go 3 days if I dropped to 7.2, so I'm using less acid than I expected. My CH is 300 in Henderson, yours is crazy high! My water temps are similar to yours, my pool is full sun from morning to about 6pm right now, 15k gallons, with a slightly darker finish, mine got to 90 when we weren't having so much rain, it seems to be around 86 at 7pm most days which is when I do my testing.

around here Lowe's in the paint isle has the strong stuff. they have the weak stuff right next to it. the weak stuff says weaker acid on the box of 4 gallons. in ours it's at end of isle on the floor and no one in the store even knew what I was looking for. they kept telling me i need to go to the pool section. i finally said I need it to clean concrete and brick. that got me a hint o check back of store and paint isle where I found it then.

it's very very cheap. I think I bought 3 boxes the other day for like 40-50 dollars. so 12 gallons.

jim

Well I have been getting ripped off lol. I get the twin pack from Home Depot in the pool section and it's 14.5% and it's $23.77 for 2 gallons. I need to go and look in the paint department, so I get more and at a better deal

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Big will my muratic acid is 31.45% and it is outside under an open shed where the pool stuff and weed fertilizer is kept. It may be in a different spot Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

1 Gal. Muriatic Acid (2-Pack)

HDX 1 Gal. Muriatic Acid (2-Pack)-10031HDX - The Home Depot

Will, I buy the 28% 4 gallon pack and Leslies (make sure it was the former National Pool Supply location because they're the only ones that carry these) for between $22-$24. Right now I'm going through between 20-24 oz of MA a day. With my IC40 I rarely have to add any bleach, maybe after heavy usage just to bring her back-up to 5.

I'm blown away that your water is only 77. I haven't been running my solar and my pool regularly hits 86, and I think my plaster is lighter than yours. If you're interested in a solar blanked I still have one ;)

Will, I buy the 28% 4 gallon pack and Leslies (make sure it was the former National Pool Supply location because they're the only ones that carry these) for between $22-$24. Right now I'm going through between 20-24 oz of MA a day. With my IC40 I rarely have to add any bleach, maybe after heavy usage just to bring her back-up to 5.

I'm blown away that your water is only 77. I haven't been running my solar and my pool regularly hits 86, and I think my plaster is lighter than yours. If you're interested in a solar blanked I still have one ;)

I might be in touch for the blanket, I have really been tossing the idea around. 86 is the highest my pool has ever been but these last 2 weeks weather has been weird and my temp has been staying low so I don't swim
Also how long do you run your pump and what setting is your SWG on for the pool and spa. I'm trying to dial mine in

When just running my skimmers and bottom drain I run at 1150 rpm, when running my suction vac (not sure which you have) I run at 1650, I run my solar at 2500. I run my pump from 9-5 every day. My SWG is set at 75%.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: My pump just turned on and the temp is at 81, haven't run my solar in several days, probably over a week. Have you calibrated your pool temp sensor? I'm wondering if its off. I think I had to calibrate mine at start-up.

Also thought I'd give you my numbers from my test this morning:
FC 5
CC 0
Ph 7.4 (I try and keep this between 7.2 and 7.4 to keep my CSI negative due to high CH)
TA 60
CH 1050
CYA 70
CSI -.13

CH is tough here in Vegas, I'm going to drain this fall and probably start draining every other year.

Quing ,
Thanks for the post. I'm not quite sure how to calibrate my sensor but I do know my pool is cool to the touch so I was assuming it was correct, but funny you said that cause the other day I almost bought a thermometer from Home Depot just to double check the temp.
My CH has not gotten to high yet like I read about but I'm guessing it's cause my auto fill constantly runs so much almost like I have a leak. My pool will lost a few inches each week, I'm guessing that's normal for the dry desert I'm hoping.
Also can anyone tell me what I should have my ic40 set on for spa output? Right now it says 0 on app but I was also under impression that in spa mode it automatically decreases salt load..... should I leave at 0 or move up some, pool is on 50%

@Will - Not sure where you are in the Valley but I have a high quality instant read therm. that I use for my BBQ that I'd be happy to come over and take a reading and then show you how to calibrate it, its pretty easy using ScreenLogic. I would guess I lose an inch or two a week as well. Someone estimated for me that in the desert we lose and entire volume of pool water a season. On a hot day if I put my finger over the return from the auto-fill water pretty much trickles out all day. I think this is pretty normal.

And with that water goes your heat. Someone smarter than I could calculate how many degrees the evaporation alone causes.

@Will - Just thought I'd let you know at 5:00 p.m. when my pump shut down my pool was at 86, no heating other than sun. How much of your pool is in the shade?

My pool is full sun till at least 4-5, and still has sun until after 6 in the shallow end
Below is a pic of my pool right around 5pm. And yesterday my water was 83
18116dfc658eeeb509924fd0052027f3-1.jpg

@Will - That's wild, I get a couple more hours of evening sun than you, however, your pool is much darker than mine, still think it might be calibration, but then you said it "feels cold" too so maybe not. I started at 81 this a.m. and when I turned on the solar at noon I was at 85. Wouldn't normally have turned it on but I have guests coming in town tonight that don't like cold water so it looks like I'm spending a couple days at 90 :(

Let me know if you want to take me up on coming by with my Thermapen and seeing if your off and help you calibrate it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.