Dolphin S300i Review

rking3

Jan 31, 2017
Houston
Hi, I recently purchased the ? s300i by Maytronics and received it a couple days ago. So I have had it for two days and have ran a bit over two cycles. The slightly more than two cycles is because I stopped the first cycle due to it picking up so much it became heavy quickly and began to stop climbing the walls. I purchased from the closest dealer to me but I shoped around across various states. Thanks to many comments here talking about their local dealer and such. I ended up finding the unit for $1100 from a pool builder here in Houston, same city but actually an hour away on the other side. My dealer wouldn't match that but I found a dealer in California for $1150 and my dealer did match that. I also found it from wholesalers without the warranty for $1000, but I wasn't getting it without the warranty. I ordered on a Thursday and got it the next Wednesday. Before purchasing I obviously did tons of research, two weeks worth, called maytronics several times watched as many videos as I could find. A big reason I went with the s300i was the Bluetooth capability. I always had to steer my suction side cleaner so having a remote was a big deal for me. I have an oddly shaped cove pool and the suction cleaner was 50/50 on getting the whole pool. I got tired of it going straight and tired of spending money on repair parts.

So I placed it in the water and watched for about 30 minutes. I was very impressed right off the bat, but at the same time underwhelmed. It was picking up a ton of small and large debris (I have video if you would like to see). But it was also stirring up fine debris. Another issue I felt was that it didn't seem to take logical routes, it reversed a lot and kind of kept going whichever direction it landed. Also, its attempt at turning itself was somewhat sad. It would reverse and then go straight trying to turn but it would lift off its front end.

But as I said it was still picking up a lot of stuff. After Close to an hour it stopped climbing the walls, so I stopped the cycle and the basket needed emptying. Nearly full with a ton of fine and large debris. So I was noticing it wasn't perfect but I was happy.

It's wall climbing is impressive, unfortunately my pool has a lip or ledge so it can't hit the tiles perfectly. It's side to side action is cool but again not perfect.

The next morning the pool bottom looked much better but again fine debris was now mixed and floating, not necessarily surface debris but it was just dirt the seemed to get mixed around and not drop back to the floor.

There were two spots I could tell it completely missed, most of the deep end and a portion near the stairs that seems like it's just an annoying part in the way the pool was constructed. I ran another cycle and it did another good job but still those two spots were missed. This is where the remote will come into play.

Overall I am happy so far, I don't expect perfection but it is expensive so it should be close. The true value will come this season and how many seasons it lasts thereafter (warranty promotion for 30 months currently for this unit).

Attachments

• B8ACDCA6-06B4-4836-AFA7-04FDB7E4CF48.jpg
    B8ACDCA6-06B4-4836-AFA7-04FDB7E4CF48.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 612
  • 8BFB8826-FEB1-41FC-9A77-20BE8774BFBD.jpg
    8BFB8826-FEB1-41FC-9A77-20BE8774BFBD.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 604
  • 42C42080-3AEB-4AE3-A775-68FA8BAC0592.jpg
    42C42080-3AEB-4AE3-A775-68FA8BAC0592.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 615
Exactly the reason I keep telling people that dual drive bots are the way to go. They can zero turn instead of flopping around trying to make an awkward turn.

Lol yes it did seem to struggle with precision turns, but once the turn was completed it kept moving forward and the front end did not lift off the ground. It only lifted during attempts at turns. And it reverses and propels forward without lifting as well so it's weird but it is only during those times it's actually trying to turn itself.

It's because the only way it can turn itself is to pulse the motor and try to slide to the correct position

In my years of pool robot use "precision turning" doesn't really rank in my top five concerns. Ease of cleaning and reliability are at the top but how it gets the job done is pretty low on my list.

In my years of pool robot use "precision turning" doesn't really rank in my top five concerns. Ease of cleaning and reliability are at the top but how it gets the job done is pretty low on my list.

It depends on the pool, a kidney shaped pool most any could probably do. My old pool was a rectangle that went out further in the middle across the pool. robots that couldn't turn on their own would almost always not get the pool clean. Plus it gets the job done more efficiently.

It depends on the pool, a kidney shaped pool most any could probably do. My old pool was a rectangle that went out further in the middle across the pool. robots that couldn't turn on their own would almost always not get the pool clean. Plus it gets the job done more efficiently.

Not getting it clean is a different issue. If the pool is clean I don't really care if the robot makes inefficient turns (pretty much why I bought it in the first place - it can do whatever it needs to do without my involvement).

Could you provide screenshot of the MyDolphin App?

* Would like to see how the Cleaning Options programming looks

* What its additional modes mean: Enhanced (1.5 hour) and Deep (2.5 hour)

Here are some screenshots of the app.

I have not seen enhanced or deep cleaning. What it does offer is ultra clean (see picture), Stronger suction and slower movement.
The cycles also have options for 1.5 hours 2 hours or 2.5 hours.

IMG_1132.jpgIMG_1134.jpgIMG_1127.jpg

UPDATE:

So I have used it a few more times and have been able to use the Bluetooth and app. The cleaning is really good but still not perfect. But as I mentioned that is where the remote will come in handy. And the Bluetooth has worked great! the control via phone is not as much lag as I have seen mentioned, it reacts quite well and really adds value into finishing the cycle for the few spots missed which I have done so a couple times, and I imagine it will help doing a quick cleaning before guest come over. The basket gets very dirty picking up a ton of fine dirt, even though it misses some its impressive on how much it picks up.

I have also used the ultra clean cycle and I notice the change in speed so running a 2.5 hour cycle with ultra clean should improve its performance.

Other cleaning options are Fast (Floor Only for one hour) Floor Only, Water Line Only, Regular (Floor and Wall) and ultra as mentioned above.

I have not used the timer or the delay and doubt I will be using either often, I can see myself using the delay to start early the next morning so I can remove before work. Or the Timer/Delay for vacation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a shop near me that sells the S300/S300i. Is the "i" worth it above the standard 300? Guess the difference is the "Ultra Clean" option and an extra year on the warranty for "wearables" as far as i can tell BUT the price differential is pretty big. They're asking around $1200.

There are a couple differences, and someone can come on top of my post and correct me if I am wrong.

- Filter/Debris basket includes media for fine and large debris
- App includes more options (2.5 hour clean, ultra clean, floor or water line only etc.)

The 300s app is basic and the 300i app is "advanced". For me, I wanted the full app options and was able to get the unit for $1150 +tax. Ask them to match poolsupply4less, they have a brick and mortar in California and are an authorized dealer (Check their website and email them for price so you can show your dealer).

Also, Maytronics informed me with the S300i (not sure about the 300) comes with a 30 month warranty extended it from 24 months.

Here is the S line details with compare options from the Maytronics website

S Series - Maytronics US, Inc

I have a shop near me that sells the S300/S300i. Is the "i" worth it above the standard 300? Guess the difference is the "Ultra Clean" option and an extra year on the warranty for "wearables" as far as i can tell BUT the price differential is pretty big. They're asking around $1200.

There are a couple differences, and someone can come on top of my post and correct me if I am wrong.

- Filter/Debris basket includes media for fine and large debris
- App includes more options (2.5 hour clean, ultra clean, floor or water line only etc.)

The 300s app is basic and the 300i app is "advanced". For me, I wanted the full app options and was able to get the unit for $1150 +tax. Ask them to match poolsupply4less, they have a brick and mortar in California and are an authorized dealer (Check their website and email them for price so you can show your dealer).

Also, Maytronics informed me with the S300i (not sure about the 300) comes with a 30 month warranty extended it from 24 months.

There could be more but I am not sure.

Thanks for the info. I have to start making some decisions here as I really want to ditch the suction cleaner this season. First things first, get my tax returns done and see what kind of refund I get ;)

One more question - did it come with a caddy?

It does come with a caddy, see my last post I updated it and included a link to do a compare it should answer most of your questions.

Lucky, I end up owing way too much.

Thanks for the info. I have to start making some decisions here as I really want to ditch the suction cleaner this season. First things first, get my tax returns done and see what kind of refund I get ;)

One more question - did it come with a caddy?

It does come with a caddy, see my last post I updated it and included a link to do a compare it should answer most of your questions.

Lucky, I end up owing way too much.

Thanks! Here's hoping Uncle Sam buys me a new cleaner....with excess money I loaned him over the year....which I get back with no interest.....so basically I'm buying the cleaner for myself....oh well, still feels like free money :party:

I really like my Daisy (s300i) I use the ultra clean 99% of the time and I am always pleased with how well she gets the job done. I am pretty picky about the pool and I have no complaints about how she does.

Yea I think I will stick with the ultra clean mode and longer cycle times.

Love the name lol, our last cleaner was named Bob inherited by the previous home owner, she asked what will we name this one and I made clear Bob was bad luck so the name must change.

I actually had a conversation with my local dealer about how they track repairs under the names given by the owner instead of model types, I thought that was funny and happy to see we weren't the only ones naming a pool cleaner.

Matt,
I only have the "i" version, but I love the it! I used a side suction "Poolvergnuegen" before and the 300i is so much better. The extra warranty is nice. Not sure what the 2 level filter is on the 300, but the 300i comes with a multi layer filter to catch both large and small debris. For me the caddy was a must as I don't leave the robot in the pool because Maytronics says not to and it's ugly to me to constantly see it in there. Btw, I think $1200 is a good price for a local sale. I paid more, but I wanted a local Maytronics registered brick and mortar establishment in case a warranty issue arose. Whatever version you decide to get, you'll love it, guaranteed! You'll wish you got it earlier. ;)

Edit: I still brush my steps and spa as the robot won't get those areas, but have stopped brushing the floor and walls. The robot has really cut down my pool maintenance time as the suction side cleaner wouldn't climb the walls well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.