Miles' Pool Care - PH and CYA

Thanks Jim.

Yes, I do have the Pentair dummy cell for the off-season, so will swap out the SWG once either the temp drops into range you mentioned or I see similar SWG behavior.

I have been running my VSP 24x7 with your schedule and have definitely noticed the salt level is finally more steady. Exactly what I was going for. Also seems my pool's pH level is finally starting to even out a bit. Not fluctuating as sporadically as in the beginning. Am having to add muriatic acid less often now and my TA has remained 70-80.

As for electricity, it's a bit hard to tell. I'd like to say no, the VSP is insignificant in the grand scheme, but our bill was pretty high the last 2 months, I presume due to higher A/C usage. Will continue to keep an eye on it though once our air conditioning usage drops. I too schedule some high speed hours within my schedule similar to yours. Am convinced they help so, if it's not broken, I'm not trying to tweak/fix.

Will keep an eye on electricity bill and echo back with a better answer once I see a trend.

Thanks again.

Jim R, First successful pool season has come to a close. Have replaced our SWG with dummy cell and taken readings.

pH 7.8 (this was my SWG target)
CH 450 (this has been consistent; hasn’t exceeded this level)
TA 80

Should I be lowering my pH level closer to 7.5 now that the SWG has been removed?

Thanks.

Am using liquid chlorine over winter (removed SWCG) and the poolmath app. Was trying to target CSI -0.1 as suggested but can’t seem to get there. These readings put me at CSI -0.3. Is that safe?

FC 4.5
CC 0
pH 7.8
TA 80
CH 425
CYA 70
Temp 38

Thank you, mknauss, for quick response. In the summer I aimed for a pH of 7.8 with the SWCG. Would you suggest I go more for a lower pH of 7.5, during cold season, while using liquid chlorine?

Your pH normally stabilizes at its balance point. Unless you have water features or high pH and TA fill water.

If it is stable at 7.8, leave it.

So we had unseasonably cold temps here around New Years so I erred in side of caution and closed the pool all while it was about 4F. Was a bit unnerving and, while perhaps I could’ve braved it with the pump running, I opted to play it safe.

Now the pool is closed so I assume that will mean I must shock the pool in the spring, correct?

Also is it recommended that the skimmer baskets be removed during winter when the pool surface freezes?

So I’ve opened IG pool yesterday since it had been sitting idle during the winter. SWG is removed. Am using liquid chlorine while water 60F or below.

Here are current readings. They seem within target. Should I be concerned w a CSI of -0.24?

76488504deebe2b572fbe9240ef3b142.jpg

Miles,

A CSI between +.6 and -.6 is "ok", a CSI between +.3 and -.3 is "Better" and a CSI of -0 is perfect...

I would not be the least bit concerned over it...

Or... were you just bragging about your test results?? :p

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Jim R. I was trying to get down to -0.0, but Pool Math app is suggesting I go:

1.) From FC 5.5 to 8 (I usually target 7)
2.) From TA 80 to 70 (Am already between 70-90)
3.) From CH 325 to 400 (am already between 250-350 range)

Wasn’t sure whether I really want to make these TA and CH changes. Do they make sense?

Thanks Jim R. I was trying to get down to -0.0, but Pool Math app is suggesting I go:

1.) From FC 5.5 to 8 (I usually target 7)
2.) From TA 80 to 70 (Am already between 70-90)
3.) From CH 325 to 400 (am already between 250-350 range)

Wasn’t sure whether I really want to make these TA and CH changes. Do they make sense?

Miles,

The app is just providing you with guidelines... If you like where you are, stay there...

I will note that if you are having issues keeping your pH at 7.8, lowering your TA may help.. As long as the TA is above 50 it is not a problem.

There is no reason to "try" to get your CSI down to -0... It won't say there long anyway.. in my mind if you can manage to stay between +.3 and -.3 you are doing great!!

Jim R.

Thanks again Jim R. Fortunately my pH has remained at 7.8 from when I last closed the pool last November through the present. I guess that’s a good problem to have as I do remember, early on, when pH fluctuated rather wildly and required constant acid treatments. Hopefully the pool has finally settled down and won’t be quite as high maintenance [emoji2]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.