New Pool Owner: Questions

I purchased this chlorine stabilizer Pool Time 5 lb. Chlorine Stabilizer-23417PTM - The Home Depot
The back of the jug states that, for freshly-filled pools, I need to use 1 pound of stabilizer for every 4,000 gallons of water (or 3.75 lbs/60 oz for my 15,000 gallon pool)
The Pool Calculator agrees in recommending 60 oz of stabilizer. Should I use all 60 oz at one time inside the sock? Or spread it over two or three days?
Thank you.

Spread it out. You don't want to overshoot if you've messed up your water volume estimate! Personally, I'd start with half of that and see what your CYA measurement is once it's all fully dissolved.

Please make sure you don't just dump it into the skimmer or the pool! Put it in a sock (Kim suggests a "cute" sock and requires pictures ;) ), and hang that sock from a telepole or other device in front of a return - don't let the sock touch the side of the pool! If you don't want to hang it in front of a return, I've put my sock into my skimmer, and left the pump on until it was all dissolved. Feel free to squeeze and massage the sock periodically to help the particles break up and dissolve. Do NOT leave the sock in the skimmer if the filter isn't running - you don't want the acidity to build up and damage equipment.

:( What no picture of a cute sock full with CYA? LOL I use my poor husbands white tube socks :roll:

When it is all dissolved let the water mix good (all day or all night depending on when the sock is empty). You should be able to test to see where your CYA is at by that time.

Kim:kim:

Nice. It's practically dissolved. Should I test levels tomorrow or wait a few days to a week for proper CYA reading?

- - - Updated - - -

Ran filter all day today. Water nice and blue. No longer greenish. I added 64 oz of liquid chlorine (8.25%) last night, but FC reading this morning was still 0.

Ran filter all day today. Water nice and blue. No longer greenish. I added 64 oz of liquid chlorine (8.25%) last night, but FC reading this morning was still 0.

What is this you say? Will you please do something for me? Go add enough chlorine to your pool to push FC up to 5ppm. Let it mix for 10 mins (pump on as high as it will go) then test again. Let me know what happens.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The water looks really good, clear and blue. When I tested the water around 7 am today, I was surprised to find no FC since I added 60 oz of liquid chlorine last night; I will test it again early tomorrow morning and, if necessary, SLAM the pool. Thank you for the link.

I tested it again early this morning.

FC: 5
PH: 7.6
TA: 100
CH: 275
CYA: way below 30 ppm with cold water. Need to retest it with pool water at room-temperature. So far I've added 32 oz of CYA via the sock.

Yesterday morning I did the FC=0 test around 60 minutes after dawn, with no CYA added yet.

That makes me very happy! All is good with your pool!

Have you been keeping track of your tests results? I found this was the best thing to help me learn my pool. I use a small notebook with my fill water test results written on the cover. You will be able to see something is about to happen before you see it with your eyes if you journal you results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.