New Pool Owner: Questions

Yes and yes, both are good parts of TFPC.

SWCG is great for reducing the time to look after a pool, and the total multi-year cost is similar (SWC equipment cost divided by years of use is roughly equal to the cost of chlorinating liquid). It's good to stick to one brand of pump, SWCG, heater, lights, so that automation is most compatible, if ever added. There are happy owners here with Hayward, Pentair, Jandy and Circupool SWGs. (I might have missed another). This is just off the top of my head, but if 100 people here at TFP with SWCs all commented, 98 or 99 of them would say they'll never own a pool without one.

Borates will slow pH rise, allowing for less frequent additions of MA. Some people find the water nicer (silkier) as well. Borates also add additional, though very mild, suppression of algae (nothing compared to FC).

All pools have salt in them. It arrives mostly from adding chlorine and acid, and also with your refill water and from sweat. There's also chlorine in the pool water to consider with respect to effects on metal. So it's a good idea to protect metal, for example with touch-up paint on powder-coated metal. I have marine stainless spigots for my pool fence, and I wipe those down with mineral oil periodically to prevent the tea stains. Everything around the pool, regardless of how the pool is chlorinated, is subject to salt and chlorine, so for me it's worth doing some preventive maintenance.

I used sealer to help prevent stains from red wine and beetroot, though I can't say I'd bother otherwise. You'll hear a variety of opinions on sealer, and aside from a bit of cost and effort, I haven't heard any downside other than the risk of making smooth stone slippery. I would only use a penetrating type that doesn't leave any gloss on the walking surfaces. Sealer needs to be redone every year or two, so I can sure understand why many people don't bother.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was finally able to bring TA down to 80, with PH around 7.5. I'm ready to add boric acid. What is the proper method to add it? Also, should it be done in one sitting or over the course of a few days? Should I aim for around 40 ppm of borates?
Thank you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.