Do you have White plaster? Houston, Texas

Feb 18, 2014
Houston, TX
We are ready to renovate our pool and would like some personal insight from someone who has recently installed white plaster.

We've read bad stories about plaster not lasting more than 5 years or is lifting up. We have looked into getting pebble tech and other options but its estimated about $11k plus $1500 to remove plaster. They also install white plaster but the estimated price doesn't go down enough to even make a difference. :confused:

Thanks.

Plaster longevity has a great deal to do with the installation process and the day to day water chemistry that is maintained long term.

So long as you find a quality contractor and maintain the pool appropriately, you should see at least 10-15 years out of your new finish.

After 4 years our plaster looks and feels like day 1. If you plan to sell within 10 years and you maintain good water chemistry, it will almost certainly look fine for selling. It is clearly more prone to damage from poor water chemistry but you control that. But the savings has to be there or it's a non-starter.

We currently have a 16 year old plaster but the old plaster company no longer exists. I don't want colored plaster because of possible fading issues. I assume you mean upgraded plaster with pebble but as plaster wears off and the pebbles are more exposed it become uncomfortable. I have gotten white plaster bids of 3K vs 11K for pebble

Anyone in the houston area that can PM me a white plaster company that have used?

We currently have a 16 year old plaster but the old plaster company no longer exists. I don't want colored plaster because of possible fading issues. I assume you mean upgraded plaster with pebble but as plaster wears off and the pebbles are more exposed it become uncomfortable. I have gotten white plaster bids of 3K vs 11K for pebble

Anyone in the houston area that can PM me a white plaster company that have used?

No not speaking of pebble.
Base white plaster has no manufacturer. It is a mixture of white marble sand, white cement and water. It is the cheapest plaster to install.
An upgraded plaster has a manufacturer, and some kind of additive. A pozzolan, or polymer is added to make the mix much much stronger and will last longer and resist staining longer. Next level is a added quartz, with or without a additive.

Yes, it is generally thought that quartz lasts longer than plaster and pebble last longer than quartz. It tends to go like this

Plaster 7-10 years, up to 20 with excellent water chemistry
Quartz 10-15 years, 20+ with excellent water chemistry
Pebble 15-20 years, also more with excellent water chemistry

I have seen all of the above fail and need to be redone in less than 5 years with poorly managed water chemistry. Managing pH, TA and CH is critical to long term plaster life.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.