New Owner Build-Live Music Capital of the World (Austin)

I'll give that a shot in the daylight.

Yep.

A bottle of Makers Mark says it's the plugs....of course, mailing alcohol across State lines without a license is illegal so, if I lose, you'll have to travel to Tucson to claim your prize ;) :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.

A bottle of Makers Mark says it's the plugs....of course, mailing alcohol across State lines without a license is illegal so, if I lose, you'll have to travel to Tucson to claim your prize ;) :cheers:Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Bourbon at stake, I grabbed the flash light and ran a bubble test...nothing. Argh. This is quickly approaching a jack hammer fix.

With Bourbon at stake, I grabbed the flash light and ran a bubble test...nothing. Argh. This is quickly approaching a jack hammer fix.

Noooooooooooo.......darn. Well, I'll go down to the Circle K gas station and grab one of those airline size bottles of MM and keep it in the fridge for you. Just let me know when you plan on driving through Tucson...

I really hope jackhammers are not in your future :(

The new plumber came out today. They pressurized all 11 pipes individually and took the pressure up to 40psi. I got home from work and one of the pipes was down to 34psi. Ding...ding...ding, we have a winner. One of the skimmers is leaking. There is no water in the skimmer where the skimmer drain is plugged up, but I'm still thinking this is the most likely culprit. I spent a couple hours uncovering the line from the pad to the pool where there are unions and I'm not seeing anything leaking. One thing I noticed during the installation was the Pentair Bermuda installation guide called out using an ABS to PVC glue. I did not see an ABS to PVC glue being used, but also was not around the whole time. I used the same skimmers as And5555 and same plumber and didn't want to micro-manage these guys, but now I'm a little worried.

If it makes you at all feel better...... I just installed 2 Bermudas and they had a label that said to use PVC glue...... not ABS-PVC transition glue.

This may be a long shot, but could you put water pressure on it continuously for a few days and see if you get a puddle anywhere?

Also, are you pressurizing with air or water?

Did the bermudas come with the slip or threaded connections?

I once thought I had an air leak that I think was coming from a threaded connection at my skimmer. I never found it, but I never noticed any water leaks and it held water pressure. I would just pull air in some times. It made no sense, no noticeable water loss. I hired a leak checker to make sure. He said I was fine. Just occasionally would pull some air in.

This may be a long shot, but could you put water pressure on it continuously for a few days and see if you get a puddle anywhere?

Also, are you pressurizing with air or water?

Did the bermudas come with the slip or threaded connections?

It is pressurized with water. The skimmers have slip connections. I've exposed most of the pipe that's outside the gunite hoping to find a drip/puddle...of course it's supposed to rain tonight. Since the skimmer is encased in concrete, you won't see a leak at the skimmer. We can run a new line, jack hammer out the skimmer and replace it, just time and money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Noooooooooooo.......darn. Well, I'll go down to the Circle K gas station and grab one of those airline size bottles of MM and keep it in the fridge for you. Just let me know when you plan on driving through Tucson...

I really hope jackhammers are not in your future :(

Hold off on visiting the Circle-K. This is very perplexing. After a 15psi drop the first day, I pulled the skimmer plug, dug up some pipes to check for leaks and re-pressurized. It dropped about 10 psi in the first hour or two then start climbing a bit when it warmed up. I pressurized again to 40psi and left overnight. It's been about 24hrs and it seems to be holding pressure (only down 2psi, but temperature has been swinging 35 degrees a day here). What in the world is going on?!?!?

So your talking a delta of 0.08psi/hr on a 40psi pressurization??
That could simply be the thermal fluctuations and the leak rate of the o-ring seal on the skimmer plug.

If that same delta repeats itself, you're done dude, no leak. Your system pressure will NEVER get to 40psi; worst case scenario would be 15-20psi

Last edited:
So your talking a delta of 0.08psi/hr on a 40psi pressurization??
That could simply be the thermal fluctuations and the leak rate of the o-ring seal on the skimmer plug.

If that same delta repeats itself, you're done dude, no leak. Your system pressure will NEVER get to 40psi; worst case scenario would be 15-20psi

I would agree, the skimmer looks reasonable, I have no clue why it dropped 15psi over night initially, maybe the fill valve wasn't shut completely. Everything looks reasonable, except drains are down 5psi in 2 days. I may try to blead any air and repressurize. Darn.

I would agree, the skimmer looks reasonable, I have no clue why it dropped 15psi over night initially, maybe the fill valve wasn't shut completely. Everything looks reasonable, except drains are down 5psi in 2 days. I may try to blead any air and repressurize. Darn.

Air and water mixed may make things harder to figure out. You may have a tiny air leak that leaks faster than water can. As I mentioned before, I could never find a water leak or pressure drop, but I could suck in air some how. I hope it keeps holding. It would be awesome to be done with this saga.

JoyfulNoise and Ramdough, thanks for your insights here. I am confident now the pressure drop has been due to air in the pipes. This is not an air tight system and with temperature fluctuations (expansion and contractions) the air is leaking and pressure dropping. With all 11 pipes in the manifold, it was really hard to bleed out the air. With the pipes split, I've been able to bleed the air better and after some initial "burping" and pressure drop, I'm seeing mostly fluctuations with temperature and only minor drops. Next step...pour some concrete!

The patio crew showed up 7:30AM on Saturday, knocked out the remaining few items and poured the patio. Overall great job. PERFECT concrete weather, around 70 degrees all day. They are back tomorrow to saw cut expansion joints. Plumber can't start equipment install for a week, but rain in forecast all week anyhow.

IMG_3734.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.