Thinking about switching to a SWC system

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
First off any feedback on how they work compared to liquid chlorine? I am surrounded by trees and fight algae all year long. Part of my problem is between work and kids it's hard to remember to add chlorine until I noticed the water color isn't blue and by then sometimes it's too late.
Second whats the most reliable system to get? I have approx 20K gallons with cartridge filters and a heater..Part of my downfall last year was heating the pool to 92 for kid parties and it would eat though chlorine quickly and go down hill after that

This post says it all - Economics of Saltwater Chlorine Generators

This site has a great brand comparison - Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools

If you update your signature with your pool equipment details, then people can help you with your decision. In general, I would not want to own a pool without an SWG, it's just too convenient. As long as the units are properly sized for your pool and you're aware that you'll be running your pool pump more often with an SWG (it only makes chlorine when the pump is running), then they can be a huge asset.

Regardless of how you chlorinate you need to test and maintain the chemical balance of your pool. If you are considering converting to a salt pool the Hayward AquaRite AQR15 is probably the most highly recommend and most used on the forum. I've had one for well over 10 years and am very satisfied. The system can be purchased on-line for less tha $900, if you want to DIY install.

Yes a SWG helps reduce the effort on that part of the pool. You still need to test for free chlorine, but once you find the right setting you can do it every couple of days.

It is very important to get a unit which is sized for a pool that is 2x or larger than yours. As water temperature increases, you need more chlorine. The more direct sunlight you have, the more chlorine you will need. My original SWG was rated for 20,000 gallons and my pool was 19,000. Once the peak heat hit, it could not keep up and I was putting liquid chlorine to help until I replaced.

I replaced with a AutoPilot total control controller with RC-52 cell, which is rated for up to 52,000 gallons. I like the autopilot as it has a temperature sensor and will automatically adjust the chlorine output based on temperature. So if you set to 25% for example, it will raise it as temperature rises, and lower as water temperature drops. This has worked very well. I was running on the lowest of 3 power settings, at 50% if I recall in the peak heat once installed. So I was not out there playing with changing the settings all summer into fall as the temperatures changed.

My friend got a hayward AQR15 for very cheap installed, the nice thing is the cells can be found very cheap for replacements. His was a private label or something they only sell in florida. It was very cheap installed and works fine. I'm kind of stuck with the Jandy unit because of the jandy automation and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. The temp control feature of the autopilot is very enticing though. However if the 28K nano plus from autopilot won't work for you, they seem to get expensive quickly so the hayward is probably the best bet.

When sizing the SWG remember that the ratings are based on the pump and SWG running 24 hours a day. Since none of us want to run the pump 24/7, buy the largest model of the brand you choose. It also makes better economic sense. The total potential lifetime output of the cell vs the cost of replacement cell is always best with the largest one.

So even if someone has a 12,000 gallon pool, they are best buying the 40,000 gallon rated SWG. You can always turn the output down or shorten the run time.

Another vote for converting and going with the Hayward AQR15 and T-Cell-15 cell. I went full DIY and got a used controller ($180-$250) and used but working cell ($75-$120) off ebay. Add $50 for flow switch and plumbing and $400 can get you running. I am very frugal and I would NEVER go back. I went from monitoring, testing, and dumping bleach every 1 to 2 days to only skimming leaves. I tested the pool periodically but pH and TA never budged all summer. Pretty amazing since with Bleach, you have to run such a low CYA that your chemicals swing wildly. In summary, too many benefits to list.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.