Water beetles

Here at TFP we base our pool care on the ABCs of Pool Care as seen in this link: Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

We have found when the water is properly balanced and chlorinated problems like those water bugs are taken care of. We depend on our own testing with the test kits found in my siggy below.

How have you been testing your water?

I see you have used a copper based algaecide. That worries me as we have found these products end up doing more harm than good in the long run. Copper will build up and cause staining and turning blonde hair green :( How much did you add?

Sorry for more questions than answers. I want to make sure we have all of the info needed to help you.

Kim:kim:

That is what I thought :( We have found their tests are not reliable for many reasons. As you have seen from the beetles coming back they don't really know what to have you do long term. They tend to have you buy something new each time you come in. That is how they stay in business.

In order for you to take complete control of your pool you need to get your own test kit. It will pay off big time in the end. With you being where you are you will have to get your test kit from Clear Choice Labs. They are in your area and have the good tests you will need to fix your pool.

Let us know when your test kit gets there and we can start "fixing" your pool and getting rid of those beetles!

Only a small amount on advice of pool shop. Does make the pool a little bubbly. Called benzalkonium chloride.

Water test is perfect alk 120 ph 7.6 chlorine 4ppm hardiness 250

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Benzylkonium chloride is what is known as an ADBAC algaecide or a linear quat algaecide. They are cheap (i.e., weak) algaecides that are easily broken down by chlorine. The by-products of chlorine oxidation of linear quats are compounds that can cause significant amounts of foaming in a pool if a source of aeration is present (water falls, spa jets, kids doing cannonballs and belly-flops, etc). Polyquat algaecides are better. Copper based algaecides should be avoided like the plague.

You are getting good advice from Kim as she is one of TFP's most trusted and expert moderators. You would do well to follow her advice about getting your own test kit and taking control of your pool. Many folks down-under have used the Clear Choice Labs test kits and they seem to make a product very comparable to what we have available here in the USA (Taylor Technologies test kits and reagents). Pool store testing and advice is poor at best and their motivation to help you is based solely on their ability to sell you chemicals that, by and large, you do not need. They may be "nice people" and a "local business" and a place you've trusted for years but, at the end of the day, they have to make a profit and their quickest and easiest way to do that is to sell you chemicals.

The one thing you absolutely can not do is mix pool store advice with what we teach here; there are no half-measures when it comes to taking control of your own pool. TFP can help you take control of your pool and spend a lot less time and money owning it. You just need to decide if going the DIY route is something you're willing to do.

Welcome to TFP :wave: and best wishes to you and your pool....

Did a manual test with the kit provided and some strip's I have and they are all consistent with what my chlorinater is saying.
Ph 7.6 Ch between 4-5 ppm alk 130. Pool is crystal clear but for soapy algaecide bubbly and also looks like the surface tension is solid like. Hard to explain but wind doesn't ripple over top looks more like molten liquid. Weird

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Algaecides are not going to help you with your beetle problem. Bugs in pool water are hard to control because many higher organisms like bugs are resistant to chlorine (like humans are). This is why frogs can often happily swim around a pool with no problems (and reproduce too). I noticed when I added borates to my pool that the population of bugs that liked to swim in my water went down drastically, but that's because borates will kill many lower order insects and so there's less "reasons" for bugs to find my pool interesting.

That said, I would not recommend you add borates until you can fully test and control your pool water chemistry yourself. Borates are an optional chemical additive to pool water and TFP always advises people who are interested in them to wait until they are sure they know how to manage their water themselves.

Your first order of business is to figure out how you can get a test kit. Many Australians have had some success finding ways of getting a Taylor K-2006 or a TF-100 (from TFTestKits.net) shipped from the US. It's often fairly expensive but they are happy with the results of finally being able to control their water chemistry themselves. Clear Choice Labs is another local alternative but, as you've discovered, they are out of test kits at the moment. Hopefully a fellow Aussie can chime in and give you some advice on how to proceed.

As for your test results, it's good that they match your expectations BUT people are often amazed at how far off the basic kits and strips are form reality...around here, we call them "guess"-strips because you can wet your finger with pool water, stick it up in the breeze and make a guess as to what the chemistry values are and have about as much accuracy as those strips.

Freegav, Please add what kind of filter you have to your siggy. Also add Australia to your location so it can be seen at a glance. THANKS!

Until you get a good test kit please do NOT add anything other than liquid chlorine to your pool. My guess is the algaecide you have been using is what is causing the film on your water surface and sides of the pool.

I wonder what is up with Clear Choice not have any test kits :( Guess we have been sending too much business their way :roll: Did they say when they would have some more in stock? You can order one from the states but it will cost a little more and you will have to find a shipping company that can get stuff shipped in from the States.

I am over in New Zealand and just went through the process of trying to find a test kit, I ended up buying a Taylor k-2006 from VM Innovations (their eBay site, not their website - their website doesn't ship internationally but their eBay site does). Shipping it pretty steep but seems to be a flat rate...I wish I had ordered a few other test kits from the at the same time!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What was the CH (Calcium Hardness) results?

It is much easier for us to read the results like this:

FC 3
CC-?
PH 7.6
TA 100
CH ?
CYA 30

When you say calcium flakes what do you mean? Floating around or on the sides and bottom of the pool? Can you share a pic of them?

Have you looked at Pool Math yet? It is in the blue oval at the top of the page. Once you get the CH results we can look at your CSI to see what that looks like.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.