Obviously shouldn't have done that

Jun 18, 2013
I have a 30' round above ground pool. When I closed the pool this fall I decided to drain it completely, looking forward to putting in a new vinyl liner next spring. Now I am paying for this mistake. The walls began buckling in. My theory was if I added water that would force the walls back into place. Not so much. I now have walls that have separated from the top rail. My pool is falling apart. Any suggestions on what to do next? I have no idea at this point.

Gonna try to add a couple pics here.

54d93e84b47ceae371ae6e4ddd82a5a9.jpg

98b3d37bc072222046607a853c8b5233.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there still a liner in that pool? If so, I'd fill it half way up, remove only two sections of top rail at a time and try to put the top of the wall back in the top track. It doesn't look rusted or ripped. Your posts I can see look fine. Is this pic the only section of pool that looks this way? Any wind is gonna buckle it and finish it off if not at least semi filled.

Is there still a liner in that pool? If so, I'd fill it half way up, remove only two sections of top rail at a time and try to put the top of the wall back in the top track. It doesn't look rusted or ripped. Your posts I can see look fine. Is this pic the only section of pool that looks this way? Any wind is gonna buckle it and finish it off if not at least semi filled.

Well, walls are buckled/bent all the way around. But it's just separated from the top rail only about half the way around. Liner still looks ok, so far.

Not sure if I can get the walk back in the top track or not ... but I guess it's worth a shot.

Time and effort involved and lesson learned I know, but I certainly wouldn't give up on it. Let us know how it works out. Where is your location? Can you add a signature line to your profile please?

Your liner has shrunk. I don't think refilling at this point is an option, since the walls are already buckling. I would remove the current liner and check the wall for creases. If the metal has not creased there is a good chance it will snap back once the pressure from the liner is released. If you would tell us where you are located that will help us determine the next step. If you are somewhere where it stays fairly warm you may be able to go ahead and set a new liner. If you are in an area that freezes you may need to take down the pool to prevent further damage and put it back up in the spring. If the metal has crease you will need to take it down and try to pound the creases out.

Your liner has shrunk. I don't think refilling at this point is an option, since the walls are already buckling. I would remove the current liner and check the wall for creases. If the metal has not creased there is a good chance it will snap back once the pressure from the liner is released. If you would tell us where you are located that will help us determine the next step. If you are somewhere where it stays fairly warm you may be able to go ahead and set a new liner. If you are in an area that freezes you may need to take down the pool to prevent further damage and put it back up in the spring. If the metal has crease you will need to take it down and try to pound the creases out.

I'm in Indiana. We're in a warm spell at the moment, but will have a deep freeze later this week I believe.

Well, we've decided the best course is to take it down for now, then put it back up with a new liner this spring.

Due to my work schedule, unfortunately I'm having to hire someone to do it for me. Good news, we have a good local installer available.

Expensive lesson ... but one I won't soon forget!

Thanks for the advice. I've read this forum for quite a while & love the amount of knowledge here. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.