Desperately Need Good Advice About Existing Pump and Filter

Nov 15, 2016
Sarasota, FL
Purchased a new home back in August and have had a bit of a rough go of it with the pool. The local Pinch-A-Penny has been next to no help but rather continue to try to sell me products. To start, I was able to diagnose a leak in the pool through the "bucket test method" which I found online. I had the leak detection guy out and he did get it repaired. I asked to him to also have a general look at everything and make some suggestions/recommendations. His findings were

- Pool had been resurfaced fairly recently and was in good condition.
- Filter is undersized for the pool. (He estimates about 12,000 gallons pool size)
- Confirmed the main drain has been plugged and is abandoned. While he says this isn't ideal it is not the end of the world. Would be major to dig up and re-plumb, etc. Recommends getting an automatic pool cleaner/vacuum.

Something I had noticed but he didn't comment on was the issue I am seeing at the pump. I have this very strange thing going on. I noticed it due to the change in the sound the pump makes when it occurs. When I go out and look into the little hair catch basket on the pump I can see the water flowing through there nicely and then all of a sudden there will be a very brief interruption in the flow where the water just stops (1-2 seconds) and then it will start to flow again. (pump makes that different sound when it happens). This is occurring about every 1 to 2 minutes. I believe it must have been doing this ever since we bought the house.

I will attach the pictures I have now and attempt to get more tonight plus any more information that may be required to diagnose this. Maybe a video will be best however not sure I can post here (could do Youtube as a workaround). I would like to get this issue fixed as well as get opinions on the filter. I would like to get the automatic vacuum/cleaner but these are expensive so would like to get my equipment up to par first. Thank you all for any of your time and help. It is very much appreciated.

IMG_3037.jpgIMG_3038.jpgIMG_3035.jpgIMG_3036.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

When the flow "stops", does the filter pressure change (if so from/to what), and/or do you see any air in the pump basket?

The water level looks low. It might be the skimmers sucking in air. The skimmer weirs might be sticking.

Watch the water in the skimmer when the pump is on to see if the skimmer stays full or runs dry.

Ok was able to get a video of the issue and upload to Youtube. Here is the link.

https://youtu.be/Clc-vMVT4Pk

The video shows exactly what I was trying to describe but found that to be a bit complicated. As the description in Youtube shows I did run this demonstration without the filter cartridge installed. I figured that would help to eliminate the filter being the issue. I do have a video of me running the test with cartridge installed just after I cleaned it out but it will show the exact same issue. One thing that is strange is before I cleaned the filter I was reading 15 psi. After cleaning filter it was reading 0 psi. Is 0 psi a good thing? Could that be due to an undersized filter as I have been told I have? Thanks again to all for taking your time and helping me diagnose these issues. Very much appreciated.

On a side note ... I also have gotten a bunch more pictures of my setup. These are too big to let me post here but I have made them available via Dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4r6wub3y1dnblji/01%20Pool%20Pics%20Zip.zip?dl=0

That pump does not have "water flowing though it nicely"... It looks to me like you have a giant suction side air leak.

It is almost like the O-Ring under the pump lid is missing.

Have you inspected the O-Ring?

Jim R.

That pump does not have "water flowing though it nicely"... It looks to me like you have a giant suction side air leak.

It is almost like the O-Ring under the pump lid is missing.

Have you inspected the O-Ring?

Jim R.

Yes I have inspected the O-Ring and it appears to be in good condition however I may not be the most qualified to make that call. There is a picture of this but it won't let me post directly here because I have "reached my quota". A link to all the photos on Dropbox is posted above. For only the lid and O-ring you can see here: Dropbox - IMG_3322.JPG

Have you tried changing the valve right before the pump to the skimmer only? If the MD line was not sealed properly, it could be sucking air.

Not sure what you mean. In the video I go and film directly into the skimmer. I do have pictures of the skimmer before I ran the test in that Dropbox link. I cannot seem to post here because it keeps telling me I am over my quota.

Sorry here are some individual links to the skimmer photos:

Dropbox - IMG_3313.JPG
Dropbox - IMG_3315.JPG
Dropbox - IMG_3320.JPG
Dropbox - IMG_3321.JPG
Dropbox - IMG_3257.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried changing the valve right before the pump to the skimmer only? If the MD line was not sealed properly, it could be sucking air.

No I have not tried changing any valves. I am assuming I would be changing this valve here:
Dropbox - IMG_3325.JPG

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes. Currently it is set to draw from both lines but if the MD is not working and/or the pipe is cracked, it could be drawing in air from that line. Do you know which pipe goes to the skimmer?

Yes. Currently it is set to draw from both lines but if the MD is not working and/or the pipe is cracked, it could be drawing in air from that line. Do you know which pipe goes to the skimmer?

I have not tested that valve yet but will do so as soon as I get home. I was under the impression that the pipe with the SK on it would be skimmer and M.D. would be main drain. I wonder could turning that to only pull from the skimmer could fix the issue even if the M.D. line was not plugged properly as long as the valve is still good?
Df

Total missed that. Turn the handle of the valve so it is over the pipe with "SK" on it. "Closed" pointed towards MD.

Yes, air in the pump basket can travel all the way out of the returns.

Ok so was able to run the test with the Jandy valve only switched to pull from the Skimmer. Still pulling a lot of air into the pump. I didn't notice it doing the brief "stop" that it had been doing. If the main drain is plugged is there any reason to replace with a new Jandy valve or would it be better to just plumb the suction side skimmer pipe directly into the pump? Is there any downside to this? Also I didn't notice anyone comment on the strainer pot lid O-ring from the picture I posted earlier. Does this appear to be OK and in working condition or should I try replacing that first before beginning the replacing of the plumbing on the suction side?

Dropbox - IMG_3322.JPG

It looks as though the valve could be taken apart to be inspected. I would do that first just to see if it is in good condition.

It is hard to tell if the pump lid gasket is in good condition or not from just a picture. Look for any cracks in the gasket. Also check the drain plugs, they can leak too. If you have any pool lube, you can use that on all the gaskets for a better seal.

I also can't tell based upon the picture if the O-Ring is good or not. I was just glad it was even there... :p

It does look awful dry.. If me, I'd take it out and inspect it, and then lube it before putting it back together.

Thanks for posting the pic.

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.