Installing Intex 26 x 52 On a Budget

Sep 7, 2016
Inola, OK
Last spring, I purchased a used 14 x 42 AG and set it up in my back yard, no ground prep, just up and filled with water. I grew up in a home with an in-ground pool, and I found myself very frustrated with trying to keep the AG pool clean. Then my life changed when I bought a PoolBlaster Max in a HUGE PILE of other AG-related pool stuff at an estate auction. I finished out the summer with a clean, easy to maintain pool and a happy daughter. At the end of the summer, a friend was preparing to move and decided to sell her 26' x 52" Intex (used only one season), together with upgraded ladder, SW system and misc accessories. I bought it all. Lo and behold, another auction, more pool stuff. I am now the owner of the pool, a Pool Rover Jr. vac for AG pools, 2 more SWG, 2 paper filter systems, and a sand filter. Lots of other cool stuff, too, a fountain, a magnetic light, an extra ladder, some umbrellas.

I have purchased a 27' Gorilla Pad and a new ground cover tarp. I have talked to an electrician about getting an outlet installed on the outer corner of my patio. I will have to hire someone to do the ground preparation, and I've talked to a fellow who builds driveways and ponds, he can handle it.

I am a single mother, I pay as I go. I have 5-6 months to continue to acquire everything I need before the expense of hiring the electrician and the dirt work. So....what else must I buy? What should I buy? Do I need to buy the foam insulating panels if I have the Gorilla Pad? What do you think about the flexible edging around the outside of the pool, with a border of landscape pavers, and filled with rubber mulch or river rock inside the space? How deep would that need to be?

And speaking of pavers, are they necessary under the pool legs? In Oklahoma, clay-based soil. Once I get this thing up, I intend to leave it up.

I appreciate any advice.

Insulation under the pool is personal preference for a soft smooth pool floor, not a necessity.
Not sure about the edging, haven't tackled that one yet on mine. I've read that the rubber mulch isn't that great because it can stick to wet stuff and end up in the pool.
Pavers under the legs are a must have in almost all soil types.

Janna,

Here's a thread on my pool setup, also in OK. If you're having someone do the ground prep, you won't need the sandbox, but you might get some ideas for the ground cover and border.

Whatever you do, take lots of pics and post them here. We love pics!

Dimension at the ground for Intex 16' Ultra frame pool.

Hi and welcome :handwave:

Try and get the groundworks done early. If you let the contractor know you are reasonably flexible around dates, but it has to be completed by a certain date, he can then schedule the works to suit himself. He is more likely to be a little more flexible on price it you tell him that

Also let him know there has to be zero fall across the actual pool, but all the ground around the pool should gently slope away from it, so it does not end up standing in a pool of water. oh and never ever hand over the final payment until you have checked the work and you are happy with the result.

jeffchaps build post is really good so I second reading that.

Weedmat for under whichever mulch you put down. It stops the weeds and you also use less mulch. Personally I like the round pebble look, wide enough that you can put plant pots and or solar lights around the pool. It wont blow away and if its not too small it wont stick to wet feet either. Depending on the size of the pebble you choose you'd prob only need a 1.5 inches at the most. The smaller the size of the rock the less depth you need to cover. If you ring a local quarry you can get it for much cheaper usually that buying at a local store. You can always add the mulch later anyway

Kim is right, a good test kit, so you only add the chemicals you need, when you need them.
:testkit:

Then with the test kit, poolmath and https://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals you can step away from the expensive pool store and run your pool better and cheaper than they ever did

From the sounds of things when you have sorted out what you are keeping you should be able to onsell the extras and recoup some money on craigslist or at auction :party:

I assume from your huge pile of stuff you have a brush and a net for skimming. The only things I can see from your list that you dont have is a heater, be it solar or gas, and an external skimmer box. But the bonus of an above ground pool is that things can be added easily later. You seem to have all the essentials, and some cool pool toys too :cool:

Thank you for the advice on the grand prep! I do have a pile of skimmer nets and brushes, as well as 2 Intex skimmers that attach to the side of the pool. If I found a heater really cheap, I would get one, but in Oklahoma it isn't needed after the first of June, and pool can stall comfortable until mid-September. I appreciate the advice on the mulch type also. There are limestone quarries around here, I never thought of purchasing direct. I think I will keep one extra SWG, and I plan to set up the sand filter system, and keep one paper filter system as a backup. Since this equipment is used, I want to have an extra.
I'm getting excited about installing the pool, I could start ground work in March. I'll post progress pics!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.