Black algae question

Dec 8, 2016
New York
I really need a yes or no answer on this. I cannot seem to find one online, tired different sites like poolxperts.org and wikipedia. Needed advice. I have to drain my pool anyways.

The black algae has taken over my pool. It's growing faster than I can keep up. It's all over my walls and moved to my floor. My chemical levels are completely beyond repair. Over shocking, scrubbing with metal pool brush, and pucks at least once a day, and algaecide are simply not working. I am going to drain my pool this fall anyways.

Is letting the pool completely dry out going to help (yes or no)? While the pool is drained, what can I do to assist in removing it..

If the only option is to handle this stuff while the pool has water is fine, but since I'm going to be draining the pool anyways, I would like to know the steps to do this while it's empty.
Plaster pool, 27000 gallons, Pheonix

Thank you so very much.

Well, if you need a Yes or No answer and you are going to drain anyways, the answer is, Yes!

The longer answer is you probably don't have black algae and you probably will do fine with draining the pool and then giving the walls a wash with chlorine.

Meanwhile, the reading Kimkats has suggested may help you immensely.

The even longer answer is that it may not be algae at all. Or it may be algae but you've never added enough chlorine to kill it because your cya is too high. Or it could be copper stains from the algaecide. Without some good water test results and pics it is difficult to diagnose the problem.

More here, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.