Our Pool

Crystal! WOW! That is one pretty pool!!! hubba, hubba!!

That was one fast build for sure!

I am going to share a set of links I put together for new pool owners. From the sounds of it on your intro thread you may have seen them but........better to have so........

Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Make sure to ask any and all questions you might have no matter how small! We have all been where you are at one point.

Kim:kim:

Thank you Kim! It came out absolutely perfect, we couldn't be happier. It took 5 weeks, well 6 if you count them replacing my grass :)

My pool guy tells me our pool is really easy to maintain - not sure why he'd say that and risk losing his job haha - anyway I'm counting on that because that pool math boggles my mind a little. I'm sure I'll catch on once I get going...hopefully! He is using the chlorine tablets right now and I can't say I've had an issue with it. But definitely looking to save some money. The idea of liquid chlorine or bleach was a shock to me at first but thousands of people can't be wrong!

And yes I've read those links but thank you so much for the help!!

Those tablets are oh so nice and easy but they do have a dark side to them!!! They add things to your our pools that if allowed to build up will cause damage! Most of them add CYA. Once your CYA gets to and over 70 or so (non-swg pools) your chlorine cannot keep up and algae can start growing! Look at the link that talks about the "recommenced levels".

The only way to lower CYA and CH is by draining water. How much you have to drain depends on how high the levels are. If you manage your water using TFP and your own test kit you will truly have a Trouble Free Pool.

Pool Math-there is a learning curve with it! The first time I saw it I was all :shock: BUT I played with it before I even tried to use it. I can give you scenarios and have you plug in the numbers to see what you get and compare them to what I get. One thing to know is do NOT put a , in the number for the gallons. It messes up the totals for some reason.

It IS a lot of info. Take it slow and ask LOTS of questions. We LOVE to help!

Merry Christmas to your pool!! :santa:

Crystal, did you know there are videos of the tests? They are on the same site you bought that awesome test kit from AND I also have some tips to help you with a couple of them. Let me know when you get the test kit and we will go over it together.

When you are running around pick up a white plastic plate and a small notebook. The plate is for the PH test to help you match the colors. The notebook is to keep a journal of your test results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow, that came out beautifully! I really like the umbrella sitting area.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

That's an absolutely beautiful pool, congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that oleander behind the pool?

That does look like oleander. Oleander isn't good up in these here parts. I'm not sure what the lowest freeze temp is that they can take but we went lower than that this winter. D E D. We tried one despite folks telling us it won't live. They were right. :)

Hi! Yes that is oleander. They completely turned brown after the hard freeze we had in Houston and I thought for sure we had lost them (after over 5 years). However, we trimmed the tops and now they are sprouting leaves again! I've been told the trick is to make sure the roots are well covered (which ours are in mulch). I'll try to find pictures to post...

oh and yes the leaves are poisonous - but we've never had a problem with that (we don't eat the leaves lol)

- - - Updated - - -

the first image is January after the freeze when we had them cut down - the second image was taken mid-march. so we're getting some green back and hopefully flowers soon!!! fingers crossed!

Jan17.jpg
Mar17.jpg

Update - oleanders are back and thriving! :D

[url="http://[URL"]http://[URL
=http://s38.photobucket.com/user/crystalzeglin/media/IMG_6994_zpsdxub21bw.jpg.html]
60.jpg
[/URL][/URL]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.