How to treat if pool is covered-up for 2 weeks of construction

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to All,

Hope everyoned had a great Thanksgiving.

We are having a new roof installed, but bc of the rain today and tomorrow, it's delayed till Wed. Wed & Thur look good, but Fri-Tues [no more predictions beyond 10-day forecast) has more rain.

Since we have a pool and 1200 sqft of travertine, they are covering the spa, pool and travertine. This will be done Wed am. Since there will be delays bc of rain, I do not want to remove the weights and covers off the spa, pool, etc. Since I used the TFP method of 8% bleach and 32% acid when needed, I'm not going to have access to added chemicals. Therefore, I was wondering on alternative methods. Also, I cannot toss in the Shark as well for cleaning.

Obviously if covered and no daylight/UV, does this enhance potential algae growth? With it being "winter season" and cooler waters, the usage and bleach applications are less. I was thinking of brushing well Tues, and running the shark for an extended period as well and clean skimmers & pump basket. Test Wed am, and add bleach to achieve a 5-7 FC and 7.2 on pH. I have pucks for when I need to add CYA [and get a break form adding CL :p], so I could always add this to CL-intake at Equip-Pad. I could also get a water sample when I remove pump cover plate.

Let me know what you guys think? This is prob not anything new for the North folks, but we are really not even having a winter here in SE Texas...I'm ready though for some colder weather...

Thank you and pls advise,
tstex

Yes, lower ph to 7.2 but raise FC to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. Being covered and with lower water temps the FC usage will be quite a bit lower. Also, pH will rise slower to when the pool is covered.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.