I feel judged...

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
...by my utility companies. Their app is pretty cool - giving me hour-by-hour detail of my electricity consumption, but I may have been better off not knowing!

I took a hit for heating the pool up recently. I either need to swim in colder water, get more efficient equipment, or convince all of my neighbors to get pools to level the playing field.

y3mcP_0VGfKVPKv591KDuNFnDG1ibUBuUdJoMtUQCgUw7TGKQlzOYI8-6y8OVl0MYiYeI7LONi7lC6PbaNUvGrm2lMu1swJzQ6K4Nbx_3NjmHc6XYDDY2q7rRL-9ddX2Gsy9StY1Ywl3KXImyrWLJySKGzqLy6RBUr53h3Lt1RpAY0

And just realize that owning a pool is not going to lower your carbon [emoji188]. Especially relative to your non-pool owning neighbors. Or just delete that app!
Sometimes we get TMI.

I recently discovered the same thing with my electric co. They have it down to 15 min increments. I can see when the pump kicks on. :( It's funny to see that jump and drop just for a simple pump!! Guess it might be time to get a two speed.

Guess it might be time to get a two speed.

Whaaaaaaatttt??

Single-speed pump = Bad, mother-nature hating humanoid pool owner

2-Speed Pump = Environmentally "conscious" human pool owner on "the right path"....

Variable-speed Pump = Happy Karma, Gaia-loving, greenie with a clear conscience and making the world a happier and healthier place to live in....

Given all that, I guess you could still run a single-speed pump if you really want to be like that :pth:

:laughblue:

If you want to hug some trees swap all your lighting to LED especially the outdoor flood lights you will be amazed how much that will lower you electric consumption. And if you really want to embrace the variable speed gods get new appliances with VS motors. Fridges and washing machines are much cheaper to run with VS motors.

If you want to hug some trees swap all your lighting to LED especially the outdoor flood lights you will be amazed how much that will lower you electric consumption. And if you really want to embrace the variable speed gods get new appliances with VS motors. Fridges and washing machines are much cheaper to run with VS motors.

Yes. I'm in the process of swapping. All outdoor lighting is LED. I have over 26 indoor ceiling cans that previously had incandescent bulbs (75W to 100W bulbs). When we first bought the home, the electric bill was very high. I've replaced a lot of the can lights with these -

TORCHSTAR 18W 6inch LED Retrofit Recessed Lighting Fixture, ENERGY STAR Certified 18W (120W Equivalent) LED Ceiling Light, UL-classified Dimmable LED Retrofit Downlight kit - 2700K Warm White TORCHSTAR 18W 6inch LED Retrofit Recessed Lighting Fixture, ENERGY STAR Certified 18W (120W Equivalent) LED Ceiling Light, UL-classified Dimmable LED Retrofit Downlight kit - 2700K Warm White: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

They made a huge difference in my electric bill. Replacing on/off switches with dimmers helps too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I have used some of the "bulb" type LEDs as well in the recess cans. I like the adapter style ones better because they can put out higher lumens with a more well-defined cone angle and they look "nicer" in my opinion. Either way works for saving $$$. I like to use the warmer 2700K models indoors and leave the whiter 5000K bulbs for outdoor lighting.

Sadly, I have these very beautiful drop lights over my kitchen bar that are 12VDC GU6.35 bi-pins (35W) halogens. The transformer up in the ceiling mounts is an older style that causes the 12VDC LEDs to flicker. So it's the one set of lights that I can't convert just with a bulb swap; I'd need to get up to the ceiling mounts and replace the transformer if at all possible....

I can't bring myself to take the reasonable advice to just delete the app and look the other way, but if I weren't a "data junkie", I wouldn't be on this site in the first place!

I think I need to consider a modern pump. Other things start to happen when I have the pump kick-on at the 6 o'clock hour, (furnace kicking on, lights, fans, TV), but the pump is clearly an issue.

y3mgLdD2DLl1zuikSvyTZS3ckAh8XeBnS-hMzMkLbMj_g5qyOxIOSRrIDgeraWhn1qdw5CTiePV_pxWnz_CTczLWPSzy2qrn4oyKkuUU3Xl0Z-BCjgTfUkiWzlU37-tpHOl_t50jHLoG1cTI2VgOHPdfwx5v_SFWDpXMk1ewpWaHlI

I don't use outdoor floodlights very often, so I'll just replace them with LED as the incandescents fail. My front steps have 6 fixtures. The PO had a mix of 75 and 100w bulbs in them. Aside from the insane energy waste, I was worried that if I kept them on too long it would only be a matter of time before a 737 mistook my yard for runway 3L at DTW. I replaced them with 5w RGB's that I can control with cheesy little remotes. I change the color or brightness every few weeks just for the fun of it. I keep them on all night, but I plan to replace the wall switch with a timer.

I have 4 Philips Hue bulbs. I'd like to buy more, but at $60 each, I'll have to build that collection slowly. Each bulb connects via WiFi to a controller on the home network and can display a huge spectrum of color choices. I have several that stay on 24/7 to light the stairway, but they change color and intensity depending on time of day.

One of my next projects is to replace some awful CFL's that are currently in ceiling fixtures controlled by dimmer switches. I'm not a fan of harsh, flickering light!

Yeah, time to ditch the single speed pump!

Since you have an indoor pool, why not look into just replacing your current single speed motor with a 2-speed motor. 2-speed motors are cheap (<$200) and you'll recoup the cost of the motor in less than a few years if your utility rates are high enough. The nice part is you can leave the pump wet-end in place so there's no PVC re-plumbing work to do. The only pitfalls with a 2-speed is just making sure you get enough flow rate at the low speed setting to do everything you need to do (run the heater, SWG?, etc, etc) AND it could require some electrical re-wiring if you don't have a 220V/2-phase line running to your current pump.

I put fuel meters on the boat a few years ago. All my boating friends said the same thing about TMI! I'm ashamed of my CO
emoji188.png
, so I recycle everything I can get my hands on. (if you set your beer down for too long, I'll swipe that can!)

y3mhSNXj7BEJKZ-E2KO_yvrP0PH4DygFKalYy1frmKcQsp7Y9Sp2VwAYKhn-vaJoPlWw3JNvRimkxRMV1jc_ltCOkjFoBetO8nx4C2B8qAl5k--cOqH8y1CgZ1-G0OjKE8YD7NyIR7I67y-KSgW_-0uRuu-xtfVfBgizDeqVDY5CX8

No need to be ashamed of CO2 any longer. Remember from grade school science, plants need 3 things to grow: water, sunlight, and carbon dioxide. The more CO2 you make the more green plants can grow.

:)

26 fans?! I wonder if you turn them all on high at the same time, if you could turn your roof into the world's biggest drone? :D

I'm definitely going to start shopping for a 2 speed pump. Aside from the energy usage, it would be nice to have something more quiet.

CANS...as in recessed light fixtures. Not FANS.

I do wish I had more ceiling fans in my main room....and the drone roof would be awesome!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.