13' x 30" inflatable about 1600 gal hard city water

Hello, let me get this out there first :p. I know this forum is geared more for people that have year round pools, alas, help is still help.

I just purchased a pool (size is in the title), it comes with a pump, as of now I do not know the specs for it. None the less, I know I need to add some type of chem to keep the water from becoming a swamp. I plan on buying a cover and tools needed to keep it clean.

For something this small, could I get by with one of those floating chlorine dispersing devices?

Any and ALL information for keeping this pool in tip top shape, I am a sponge and want to suck up all the knowledge I can.

Thank you.

Good morning and welcome! If my math is correct on the Poolmath calculator, your pool is just under 3,000 gallons correct? So what this means is you can easily follow the TFP Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools page. You utilize a simple test kit and add just simple chemicals that are designed to make overall pool maintenance easier for you. If water chemistry happens to go south, simply drain, clean, and refill. But I would review that page first and let us know if you still have any questions about the chemistry or anything else. Have a great day.

Also please update your location with a state / country it will give us a better idea on your climate and conditions

Ike

p.s. on the seasonal pool guide it is important that you do not use any dichlor or trichlor based dry chlorine products (powders or pucks) as they will raise your CYA level causing your Free Chlorine ratio to be too low.

Good morning and welcome! If my math is correct on the Poolmath calculator, your pool is just under 3,000 gallons correct?

Just wanted to put it in writing, my pool is just under 1600 gallons.

I read through the guide for my size of pools and maybe I missed it, but what do you use to change the ph level? Is Cyanuric Acid what you use the raise the ph level? Also aside from cyaniric acid, and chlorine, could I use cloroz algae eliminate? :( looking at target online...

I am not trying to be difficult, chemistry is not something I understand, I am willing to learn...just might take me a while. Also I wanted to add that I looked that that poolmath calculator, I will be honest and say I became very confused.

The issue with floating chlorine dispensers is that they also put CYA in your pool. CYA is a stabilizer and at the right levels it's keeps the chlorine in your pool while the sun beats down on it. BUUUT CYA is also a "hump" for your chlorine to get over, at appropriate levels it means you need a bit more chlorine in your pool than you would if you have no CYA, but the advantage is your chlorine should last longer (see chlorine chart here:Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart). If your CYA gets too high the you are pouring a LOT of extra chlorine in the pool, as you get higher your chlorine levels become unsafe.

CYA also lowers PH which can cause irritation to skin and eyes, and also if you are outside the recommended PH range, your chlorine won't be as efffective.

Generally before you put anything in the pool, look online and see what the reaction will be. Most chemicals have a, "Intended to do this, But also does this other thing" so keep that in mind.

Generally for this pool what you want to do is 1. stop using tabs right now.. and take your water to a pool store for testing (DONT BUY ANYTHIGN THEY TELL YOU) then come back with your results, and we'll help. If your CYA is too high you'll have to drain and fill, if it's okay then mostly what you need is bleach to maintain your pool for the summer. Just make sure kiddos dont pee in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.