13” fingers vs 12” fingers for EC40 Hayward DE Filter

Jun 3, 2007
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I previously just rinsed my finger nest off and would store until next year. After about 10 years use, I noticed the inside side of fingers were darker than outside. This is first year I soaked finger nest in Dawn overnight. When rinsing of, I saw some brightening of outside, but inside of fingers were pretty much the same dark color. I will try soaking in Muratic Acid. I have an air breather with acid filters. I plan on pour acid back into bottles and use in pool to lower ph. Please let me know if you think I am off base.

Now, I bought a new finger nest that was advertised as a replacement nest for Hayward EC40. The only difference I have observed between the two is the finger length (installed). The old ones are 13 inches from white plate to tip versus the new finger nest which is 12 inches from the white plate to tip.

My inclination is that it probably doesn’t make that much difference. I am figuring on adding 3 and 3/4 DE instead of 4 pounds.

My question is do you think this is okay from an operational stand point? Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you!!

I have the EC50. I think the difference between 12 and 13 is negligible. Reducing DE addition by 1/13 seems prudent.

Did you have any issue with your old fingers, or was it just the color you didn't like?

I have the EC50. I think the difference between 12 and 13 is negligible. Reducing DE addition by 1/13 seems prudent.

Did you have any issue with your old fingers, or was it just the color you didn't like?
Yes. For the first time last year I noticed the following issue. After bumping my filter, I observed cloudy water shooting out of the return for almost 45 seconds before the return water was clear. In the past, it would be approximately 15 seconds, give or take 5 seconds.

This had me wondering if I cleaned the fingers well enough for the DE to attach itself to the fingers. That is when I purchased the used nest of fingers. I remember wanting to replace just the finger tubes themselves, but the inside of the 13” fingers had a long piece of plastic to support fingers. I cannot remember what was inside the 12” fingers. In fact there may not be anything inside them because of the way they do not hang down straight. They all seem to curve.

If I decide to proceed forward with just replacing the finger tube themselves, I will remove the 13” plastic support device from inside each individual finger and shorten it by 1 inch to insure the nest hangs inside the filter like the previous nest. Here’s a picture of the old fingers.

Attachments

• 8F34509D-730F-4EC8-9532-B0D284855D61.jpeg
    8F34509D-730F-4EC8-9532-B0D284855D61.jpeg
    647.8 KB · Views: 7
Mine look exactly like that. Same color.

I’ve deep cleaned it 3 times this week but I’m fighting algae too. I can’t SLAM properly at the moment due to not ever being home so the best I can hope for is control and slow improvement.

I’ve cleaned mine with cascade dishwashing detergent and ZEP degreaser. Turned it upside down on a bucket and hosed it off. Then did a cascade soak in an 8 gallon bucket for about 30 minutes before I broke out the muscles and worked the nest like a butter churn. That worked well! Hosed again to rinse then repeated with the ZEP. Wore me slam out but it worked. The water was filthy each time.

I have a new cartridge filter coming next week so it looks like I’m going to be deep cleaning mine again this weekend. I’ll measure it up and post some pics for you when I do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.