Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changing Sand

1. Back To Top    #1

Changing Sand

Hello everyone,

This is my first time on a message board so go easy on me. My stats of my pool are in my signature below. How often do you recommend changing the sand in a sand filter?

Thanks
    db
    IG - 18,500 gal - Plaster
    1.5 HP pump 74 gpm Sand Filter
    Pop-up Self Cleaning System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Changing Sand

Opinions vary, there is no specific recommendation other than when "converting" from baquacil to chlorine. How old is your sand? Are you having clarity/filtration issues?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by dbilski
    Hello everyone,

This is my first time on a message board so go easy on me. My stats of my pool are in my signature below. How often do you recommend changing the sand in a sand filter?

Thanks
    db

Welcome to TFP! We're easy on everybody, but you are doing perfectly. Usually, something else will go wrong requiring disassembly of the filter before you need to worry about changing the sand. It does become a little less efficient at filtering over time, but not so much as most people can tell.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

You're doing great - you've got your sig set up before posting the first time

Stick with us and your pool will soon be, not only less expensive to maintain but truly trouble free 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to TFP.

On the sand thing, we VERY CAREFULLY used a big shop vac with a smaller hose attachment, as ours was truly contaminated this spring with a huge layer of mold after we had a very big green bloom last fall and apparently did not get the dead algae out of the filter properly before closing. The layer of dead stuff formed an algae "leather" layer that was hard as rock in there. We sucked it out with the shop vac, then - using mfg directions for the filter - carefully added new sand very slowly to avoid damage to the laterals. Good as new.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!