Pentair Mastertemp 400 (System Error: HLS error)

kenzo42

Jan 11, 2016
Los angeles, ca
Hi Everyone,
I turned on my heater for the first time in 2 years and it's giving me a "System Error" red light. Looking at the underside of the circuit board, HLS led is lit.
The heater won't turn on (stays in "System Error"). There is no noise or ignition or gurgling. However, once I jumped the HLS connectors, it started right up and the heat pool light turned yellow.
Is this as simple as changing out the HLS? In another thread I read, it was the bypass valve that gave an HLS error. Thanks.

The High Limit Switch prevents the Heat Exchanger outlet temperature from exceeding 135°F (±8°F).

The High Limit Switch is located in the lowermost well of the Manifold Adapter under the Manifold Switch Cover. Mounted below the AGS Switch, it is black to differentiate it from the AGS Switch, which is marked with a red dot.

The HLS is often caused by lack of sufficient water flow through the heat exchanger. This can be due to several things:

• Thermal regulator not opening.
  • External bypass open.
  • Internal bypass broken.
  • Pump too small or on too low rpm.
  • Clogged filter.
  • Scale in heat exchanger.
The High Limit Switch is p/n 42001-0063S

Start by checking the thermal regulator. As a test remove the thermal regulator and see if the heater runs.

Hi Everyone,
I turned on my heater for the first time in 2 years and it's giving me a "System Error" red light. Looking at the underside of the circuit board, HLS led is lit.
The heater won't turn on (stays in "System Error"). There is no noise or ignition or gurgling. However, once I jumped the HLS connectors, it started right up and the heat pool light turned yellow.
Is this as simple as changing out the HLS? In another thread I read, it was the bypass valve that gave an HLS error. Thanks.
If the HLS error occurred BEFORE the heater fired, it is likely bad.

Reactions: kenzo42
Test HLS with a multimeter. It should be closed when heater is off. If it is open then replace it.

The High Limit Switch is p/n 42001-0063S

Yes, error was before it fired. It won't heat at all unless HLS is jumpered.
Best thing to do is to replace both the HL switch and the AGS switch. They are both in the same water and when one goes the other usually isn't far behind.
This page on Amazon will show both parts. Be sure to put the correct part in the correct port.

I replaced the HLS and it's fixed and making warm water. Thanks everyone.
When I was troubleshooting the heater, I spun the pressure switch every which way and have no recollection where it was originally set. Can anything be damaged if this is set incorrectly? It's an inground pool.

I replaced the HLS and it's fixed and making warm water. Thanks everyone.
When I was troubleshooting the heater, I spun the pressure switch every which way and have no recollection where it was originally set. Can anything be damaged if this is set incorrectly? It's an inground pool.
Too tight and the worst is that the heater won't fire. Inconvenient but no damage. Too loose and heater could fire with too little flow, or none at all in the right circumstances. This picture is how they come from the factory and how yours was most likely set.
51qlgtEzhTL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.