Just had new pool start up

Thanks. I added about 30oz of CYA last night using a 16 oz cup, I have to pick up a scale today to be more accurate used the (sock in the skimmer, pump running), also read you want to gradually bring CYA up. So how long until it will show up in the test?

PH was 7.8 last night, I added acid per Pool Math.
FC was still at .5 I added Chlorine per pool math.
TA was 140

Tested this morning:
PH= 7.2
FC .5
TA=130

Added Chlorine, no acid.

I assume you mean FC (free chlorine) not CH (calcium hardness) Keep that in the 1-3 range until your CYA is dissolved. It should show up on the test the day after it is all dissolved.

one note on measuring CYA - if you use Pool Math, it gives you the amount to add in both weight and volume - so you can use a measuring cup all day - plus, in all honesty, you do not have to be crazy precise anyway

I also wanted to reemphasize the earlier comment suggesting the speed stir - they are the best accessory I have purchased - makes the testing faster, easier and more accurate - +10 to that previously posted suggestion

for CYA addition, I put it in nylon knee-highs and put it in the skimmer - that way the kids don't get into it - and the nylons are like $4 for 10 pair (20 "socks") and let it dissolve quickly

finally, I will echo what everyone has been saying - relax and don't worry - everyone starts here not knowing what to do and worried - it will be fine - and depend on the advice here which will be consistent and lead to success - not everything the pool store tells you is wrong, but you will get further faster if you stick with the plan from the people here

The CYA will show up on the test 24 hours after it is dissolved from the sock.

Here is a handy page on pool chemicals, what they do and how to put them in the pool.
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Thanks, that's probably why it did not show up 8 hours later, lol!

- - - Updated - - -

I assume you mean FC (free chlorine) not CH (calcium hardness) Keep that in the 1-3 range until your CYA is dissolved. It should show up on the test the day after it is all dissolved.

yes sorry!

Added 29 oz of cya thurs night, tested this morning and it appears i am still at zero. Is it true can take a week to show up in the test?

I have been fight low FC as it been in the 90s here in soca and my pool has full sun all day.

Test results today
FC-.5
Ph-7.8
Ta-120
Cya-0

Used pool math with a FC taget of 3 and added chlorine, 28oz. Will add 7.7 oz of acid per pool math to target ph at 7.6.

Pool math is telling me to add 29 more oz of cya? Where did the 29 oz i added 2 days ago go?

Do i again add the 29oz of cya?

So, should i just test chlorine and add it 2 per day to keep a target of FC @ 3-4 until my cya shows up?

Thanks

At the bottom of PoolMath is a section called Effects of Adding Chems, enter your gallons at the top, umber of Oz and choose cya/stabilizer and it will tell you how many ppm it adds. It should add 20 ppm. The test is really for 30 ppm and up. I would add another 29oz and test 24-48 hours after it is dissolved. And chlorinate your pool based on 20ppm, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Just did another cya test, nothing. So this business of it taking a week to so up is false?

If i add another 29oz based on pool math will put cya at 40. Is there a chance that first 29 oz is gonna show up, it is still in the water right. Did not want to overshoot.

Also will a measuring cup 1cup 8 oz work for the measuring the granular cya?

Thank you! I am checking FC 2x per day and adding whatever pool math tells me to keep FC around 2-3ppm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, the 1st 29 and the 2nd 29 should show up. It is still in there. The CYA test doesn't really start reading reliably until 30ppm so it will read better at 40ppm. You probably want to be at 50 ppm anyway. Yes, a measuring cup is good.

There's only one way to lose it in a fresh fill situation. That's by putting a sock in the skimmer and then forgetting (within the next few days) and backwashing your filter which may be holding some undissolved CYA within the first few days after adding it.

You're eventually going to want to be in the 80 ppm range so I wouldn't worry about overshooting. Just make sure you are maintaining the correct FC level for the projected CYA level and resist the temptation to overdose on the chlorine.

Thanks, i am trying to keep FC at 3.5

Tests from this morning:
FC-2
Ph-7.6
Ta-120 (is this too high?)
Cya- did not test as i added anothert 16 oz.

Which set of recommended levels should, plaster or SWG. I am not using salt for 30 days, the big differance seems to be the TA And CH levels

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.