New Northeastern Pa Build

Our whole building process over 10 years has been that. We don’t have endless money and never do anything that the money isn’t there. So that meant moving into a home not finished all the way and chipping at it. Every year it’s been something. Basement was 4 years. And my room isn’t done yet down there. That won’t be for many more to come either cause my wife never has asked for anything in 17 years except a pool. So. I like the journey though. I’m not a destination guy. My mind gets bored easy when I don’t have something on my plate. Lol

here are the paver pics:

IMG_8816 by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_8818 by Jim, on Flickr
the kids with louis and steph putting in last blocks. i thought it was a nice pic. the kids love when they r here. he said we have to get them up the cabin one weekend.

IMG_8841_HDR by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_8844_HDR by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_8847_HDR by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_8848_HDR by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_8850_HDR by Jim, on Flickr

Thanks again TFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pool house!
IMG_8851 by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_8852 by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_0925 by Jim, on Flickr

this was the smaller fireplace that louis brother joe built for us when we moved into the house. we had brick left over so he threw something together on the corner and used the fireplace to hold up the one corner of the roof.
IMG_8856_HDR by Jim, on Flickr

There is my picture! Look at those smiles! Putting in the last bricks! Sooo cute!!!

Jim that whole area looks so pretty! I love everything about it!

"he just threw something together" :crazy: that man has some mad skills!!!! LOVE IT! My husband walked by and said WOW! when he saw that fireplace!

Thanks for sharing this with us!

Kim:kim:

Lol Not cause I know him, but he is the best mason that prob has come out of our area. Contractors always still call for him to come out for them. He is 75 but in great shape. He picks and chooses. He is good though. Last of those true old Italian masons.

The kids had a ball this summer with all of us. They r swimming now with my wife. I don't feel good. Think I got a sinus infection.

That really looks awesome! Congrats...

The wife and kids look so excited!!

Cliff,

Not my wife. Lol. Not me either. That's my buddy and his girl who has been doing all my hardscaping with me. The kids love them.

Im the little guy in some of the older paver pics. Lol

kim,

im all over the pot. Works great. I have such chronic sinuses. I already went through 2 bouts of steroids and now I'm on antibiotics. I've had a cough for 3 weeks now.

footers went in yesterday. block showed up today out of nowhere. i think my mason called to get it in. he knows the owner of the place we buy from. i thought it was thursday when i ordered. but they got right on it. stripped forms and got all setup for tomorrow. lines are drawn already too so they can just mix and start to lay.

IMG_8861 by Jim, on Flickr

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not me. I’m out of this. I’ll jump in on the weekend to labor when we get to the brick ledge then the block are 6 inch. A lot lighter! Lol.

Mama didnt raise no dummy! Lol.

If if I was off I would be out there. I’m kidding.

Jim, I thought of something from your other thread (Help).........with you having a girl child on hand.........watch her pony tail holders and hair clips. Most of them have metal in them. Metal=rust marks in the pool if left/forgotten long enough. There are some that do not have any metal so............

Jim, I thought of something from your other thread (Help).........with you having a girl child on hand.........watch her pony tail holders and hair clips. Most of them have metal in them. Metal=rust marks in the pool if left/forgotten long enough. There are some that do not have any metal so............

i don’t let her go in with anything in thier hair. My wife does a metal check. Lol. She is parinoid now too. Lol

that was the first thing I asked her when Kate and her friend were in on Saturday. Kristen had them use plastic clear ones.

Hd to have been organic if gone the next day right? When I added my 51 oz of chlorine cause I was down 2 ppm?

ok so today my dad's best friend and his kid hit the frost walls. they setup yesterday with louis helping to make sure everything was played out properly since he is the one who knows the project being we have no plans. lol this is how we roll. what pool house? we aren't building nothing. if we were there would be plans. duuuhhh.

done.

yes it was only about 250 block but joe is 75. he can move with the best of them. i think louis was impressed too cause he stopped by to make sure everything was right. all is good. sunday louis and myself are going to strap all the conduits to the frost walls and get hem lined up for backfill and prep for pad pour. i am thinking monday and tuesday he will get the machine back in to trench out the sewer drops, backfill and gravel. so we are in good shape.

i talked to my buddy who is framing and said we are all set for the spring or end of winter. i said whenever he feels comfortable framing after new years to hit it so we can start bricking early spring when its still cool out since there is a ton of detail and brick work.

thanks for follow for those that are. i have always loved the building process. i thrive on these kinda projects. i hope no one minds me sharing every detail, but i know i love pics and explanations of things i research that i don't know about even if others know it forward and backwards.

you can see in the 1 pic the opening between the house corner and the pool house corner where the fence wit hate will run. you can also see how there will be a raised bed for planting that runs along the porch wall and curves around to the 2 windows and fireplace pop out. that just happened to work out that everything will be nice a squared off.

the other pic you can see the multitiered brick ledge so we can lower the elevation of the slope off me into my neighbor so i don't flood his yard with water in heavy rain. i will still have the higher ground but won't be as bad. also helped with my grade off the back corner into the woods by the pad.

oh and that cleanup for the sewer, ya 1 inch from the finished brick. lol totally didn't plan it that way but man did we get lucky that we didn't have to dig it out and move it.

you can also see the inner ledge that the poor will sit on the inner 6 inches of the 12 in ch block. this will lock in the pour wit the block so nothing moves. this is the whole point of doing frost walls vs just a pad. the frost walls lock the pour in place along with giving more weight support. brick ledge is 6 inches cause my brick on my home are jumbos so you need 1 inch air gap so 5 inches to set the brick and have wiggle room for something being out of square. a lot of masons let brick hang 1 inch off the brick ledge if need be. joe never ever wants to be hanging. he would rather have extra space. that;s why there are solids on the jack for the rear wall and part of the sidewall. gives him is 6 inches for brick but still gives lou and myself the space to sit the pour on to lock in the pub to the walls.

just for those who don't know this and was wondering.

IMG_8862 by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_8864 by Jim, on Flickr
IMG_8865 by Jim, on Flickr

Looking very good...a lot of work done in one day!

hey man! ya way ahead of what i thought from when we talked! hopefully lou keeps this pace. i know he said he doesn't want to fight the weather. if i get myself home early enough each night we can prop have it all framed and rebar tied in to pour next weekend. wishful thinking and all!

I love watching and reading about this kind of stuff. I have no idea of the how and whys of any of what is being done. I love learning so THANKS!

That clean out............talk about placement! If you had tried to do it there is not way it would have worked out LOL

Nice of you to try to not flood your neighbor! I am sure they like that plan!

I love watching and reading about this kind of stuff. I have no idea of the how and whys of any of what is being done. I love learning so THANKS!

That clean out............talk about placement! If you had tried to do it there is not way it would have worked out LOL

Nice of you to try to not flood your neighbor! I am sure they like that plan!

The cleanout was suppose to be about 4 feet out from the building but then I made it bigger. Lol. So now it’s closer but better close vs floating out in my grass somewhere.

Got it to hit Lowe’s tonight for all the schedule 40 for plumbing and conduits for everything else. Water line and gas lines are going in schedule 40 vs regular conduit.

So thats sunday project. Hopefully Monday he backfills.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.