Pentair i5 low voltage breaker

Hey Jim,
I've got a few questions but first, for terminology sake, with the intellitouch there are 2 boards... there's a main motherboard and a personality board (i5 for you) that plugs into the main motherboard. The relays/transformer/sensors/rs485 etc all connect to the personality board.

The relay breaker is the center breaker and where the transformer connects to the personality board you'll see the center two pins are marked 18VAC... that's the transformer coil that powers the relays. If you have a multimeter, I'd give the transformer a quick check - unplug that 6 pin transformer connector from the personality board and check for 18 volts ac at the two center leads.

As for the low voltage breaker...
1. Do the valves and the intellitouch controller still work? (if the motherboard isn't totally fried I would expect they would still work... electronics are on the 12vac breaker, and the valves are on the 24)
2. When does the relay breaker trip?... right when you turn the system on, or only when any (or a particular) relay is actuated?
3. Does it trip if the transformer is not connected to the personality board (this should be unlikely, but would indicate a transformer problem)
4. Does it still trip if you disconnect all the relay signal wires from the personality board (label them first!)
5. Has any component been recently changed or was the system running fine, then just started tripping?

My guess is something on the main motherboard is messed up so it's drawing too much current to close the relays.

i forgot to add... there are 3 socketed chips on the mainboard... they are marked ULN2803A (darlington transistor arrays). i haven't traced the schematic but i think these drive the relays... i've seen a board where one got smoked

i forgot to add... there are 3 socketed chips on the mainboard... they are marked ULN2803A (darlington transistor arrays). i haven't traced the schematic but i think these drive the relays... i've seen a board where one got smoked
I am bringing this thread back from last month as I bought a i5S+3 board on ebay for cheap which had the same issue with the relay breaker tripping. There was a short on the 18V rail on the board and I tracked it back to one of the ULN2803A driver chips. I removed all three chips, the short went away then I probed the chips and one has a short from pin 9 GND to pin 10 Com (18V). You can buy new driver chips for less than a dollar from Mouser Electronics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.