Just getting started

It seems puzzling that you can't pass OCLT.

From my own experience though.....I've found algae hiding in any crack and crevice I could find. I ended up buying a kitchen brush to brush those cracks. Places like where the skimmer frame meets my vinyl, cracks where my steps meet the vinyl liner, behind the return eyes. You name it. I have the kids get in with that little kitchen brush and try to brush those cracks. Recently, I just took out my lights to find crud behind those as well.

Day 5
Last night 9:15p.m. FC 28 CC 0
10:15p.m. FC 27 CC 0
This morning 5:00a.m. FC 14 CC 0
I'm ready to give up, don't know what else to do?????
FC just will not hold. Pool looks awesome!!!!!

Kelly, Please don't get frustrated and give up, I know you are using a lot of bleach and that is because you have algae in your pool.. you are killing it and that shows by how much your FC level is dropping overnight..

Keep going, you are doing great and it will get better :)

I know to you that your pool looks clear, but it is very cloudy.. the picture below is not to show off but to give you an example of what your water can look like when your done..

these pictures are right after I opened the pool this summer..

AOSTTiGh.jpg

DmdBqp0h.jpg

N5CCcCzh.jpg

I had to put pool on hold, my husband took the lights out and they were nasty and bulbs were bad, but could only get one, so one is put back together. I had to turn pump off. Hopefully tomorrow I can turn pump back on. Do you think I will be starting all over?

ahhh, those lights could be what has been keeping your FC use high.. can you take them out until your done.. your SLAM will slow down but you can still keep going...

mix using your brush
test FC and CC
add amount of bleach walking along side of pool
brush again

once you turn your pump back on just keep going :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got started back up last night. We had a bad storm the the day we shut our pump off (2days ago) and tried to cover the pool,but was to late. By the time the pool got covered it was full of leaves and mulch. So late yesterday I got that all cleaned out and pump back on. So today I started at FC 1 but CC 0. I've been testing every 2 hours and have dropped 3-7 each time, so don't know what tonight will bring. I also up my FC to 35 shock level, I had my daughter in law test it and she came up with a CYA of 90. So I don't know if that was part of it to or if rain can change it, because we had 2 1/2 inches of rain. Any suggestion are appreciated...

welcome back, I thought we might have lost you, I am happy you are starting again and your right, it is looking much better :)

So, a CYA of 90 makes perfect sense why it has been fighting you and why you have been losing so much... With a CYA of 90 your FC would be at 35, great job on seeing that and upping your FC.. it should work much better now and a CC of 0 is a good sign.. it may go up since you are hitting it again but it will be fine..

Nice job :)

we usually do not recommend algaecide unless your closing for the winter and even then we still don't "recommend" them.. never use any algaecide with blue in the name or with any copper in it..

Just keeping your FC in the 7 to 10 range is better.. staying closer to 10 for your CYA is better.. the FC of 1 to 3 is from 50 years ago the big companies are still using....

you can take your FC to SLAM level after your water is below 50 degrees and then close, then open before your water is above 50 degrees.. you can also empty some water out to get your CYA closer or to 30, then adding bleach is much easier and cheaper...

I'm guessing I'm not done.....
9:15p.m. FC 28 CC 0
9:45p.m. FC 37 CC 0
5:00a.m. FC 34 CC 0
or am I done because FC Slam level is FC 35

Don't know why FC was a little high at 9:45p.m. It was in range all day yeasterday, except for restarting it went real high to FC 43 CC 0 and then the next morning after testing and adding it went to FC 37 CC O.
CC has been holding, so I'm glad for that.:eek:

I do really appreciate your time and help. I probably have been fighting this for 5-7 years:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:, and the pool store just says my pools fine:grrrr:

Im really glad I ran in to a stranger at Menards in the pool section and she told me about this site.
Thanks again

When closing you say wait till water is 50 degrees, I have to cover mine sooner, because of all the leaves falling, so can I cover it and treat it as if it was open and when it reaches 50 degrees bring it to Slam level and shut it off after it's been there for 24 hours.

that is a perfect way to do it.. and really you don't have to run the pump much when it is getting in below 60's, maybe 2 to 3 times a week for an hour or 2, just to keep everything mixed :)

My FC count finely held overnight and just drop the one count from FC 35 to FC 34 and CC 0.:party:

Now my question is with a goal of maintaining FC 7-12 (shooting for a FC10) should I test late at night always, and do you think I will have to add everyday and if so how much. I know it depends on how hot and the sun is, but should it hold all day and just drop a little(FC 7) or should I expect it to drop (FC0-6).

I'm just curious to what I should it be expecting !!!!!!

Thanks again!!!:grin:

AWESOME :) Great job.. :party:

First thing I would do is keep it at SLAM level 1 more night then let it go down... You do not have to but it will not hurt anything and it makes sure every little thing is dead and gone :)

Then, let your FC drop to 10, add and test at night that gives your highest concentration of chlorine all night.. once FC at 10 do all your other tests again to see where you are...

do not let it get below 7, below 7 let's algae start to grow.. if it gets to 7 raise your FC to 11 that night.. and see if that keeps it above 7...

I am very happy you made it :) Can you believe how clear your pool is, and it will get better over the next week :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.