Help with SWG

Pool guy came today and only threw in a few chlorine pucks. Got my CYA reagent and could still faintly see the black dot at the 30 line, so time to get that number UP!

29.5k gallon 42'x15' with 8.5 deep end, IG Plaster, DE, VS pump, built 3/24/2016 (plastered twice) ,k-2006 test kit, SWG with spa, kreepy krawly cleaner

I feel victorious that he didn't come and have to DUMP a bunch of stuff at once like he's been doing. I'm going to get the chemicals balanced and then tackle learning the equipment....I can do this! :)

29.5k gallon 42'x15' with 8.5 deep end, IG Plaster, DE, VS pump, built 3/24/2016 (plastered twice) ,k-2006 test kit, SWG with spa, kreepy krawly cleaner

b5aff2e5956abe31a2cc1b66b4c557e2.jpg

Question, is green algae growth on pool rocks OK, or should I try to clean with something?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To clarify, there's no algae in the pool - the water is crystal clear. But there is (and pretty much always has been since it was built), algae on some of the rocks, particularly at the water line.

Not sure yet what that means, but this morning my FC was 3.6 with CYA just under 30ppm

Just looked it up. ..that term is new to me, but I'll test that tonight and let you know

Do you have to keep the pool service for warranty? If not, I would jettison the service and do everything yourself. Every time the service adds chemicals to your pool, he is sabotaging your efforts. Follow the advice here and you will always have a sparkling clean pool. Algae on the rocks is no Bueno and not normal. Bleach and brush and you most likely might need to slam.

There definitely has been a few comments from my PB that the warranty is only good if we've "taken care of" the pool. I've kept a detailed journal from day 1 showing my test results and what chemicals were added. I'm thinking that would count as taking good care of it? But yes, one of my original thoughts was that I'd keep the pool guy for a year as an extra precaution.

one of my original thoughts was that I'd keep the pool guy for a year as an extra precaution.
Using a pool guy and TFP method at the same time won't work and quite frankly is a waste of money. Your pool guy will at best do the bare minimum with some brushing and vacuuming, and throw in a puck, and at worst start adding detrimental products to the pool. All you need is a good test kit and knowledge and experience will quickly follow. You will do 1000x better job maintaining your pool than a service. Nobody knows your pool better than you. Trust this method and yourself.

Already completely convinced I will do a better job on the chemicals. I'm going to watch YouTube videos tomorrow on washing the filter (the housing and the pressure are intimidating to me), and will be pulling the plug shortly thereafter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.