Help with SWG

To get your salt cell to start working after start up on a new pool, when salt levels are raised properly you need the correct lv for you CYA then you need to raise your chlorine lv to help it, liquid chlorine or shock it. Then you put your salt cell into super chlorinate for 24 hours then you should be good.

I live in Texas and salt cells work here how they are suppose to.

Sounds like the guy cleaning your pool isn't adding the proper chemicals. Pool cleaners try to be fast so they tend to cut corners. Since he's adding shock and tabs to your pool (my experience speaking) could mean he doesn't care about your salt cell and will probley stop adding salt. It's quicker and easier for them to throw some shock and tabs in and move on.

Pool cleaners need to be watched and scolded from time to time to get them to do a proper job. Take your notes call and complain to the company that he works for. (Not the pb) Tell them he's not adding the right chems and is adding shock and tabs when you have a salt cell. Ask for them to leave a copy of your water test and what they added chemically.

If he's a guy who just works for him self and not a company then it would be wise to ditch him.

This thread is making me glad I didn't bite on using the PB to service my pool. Seems like your getting the hang of things. Good Job!!
Thank you, and yes, while the pool guy has taught me a lot (and provided support during those last painful months of construction), his method of maintaining the pool (dump it and forget it), was most definitely not keeping it the clear and sparkly I am hoping for!

22k gallon, IG Plaster, cartridge, VS pump, built 3/24/2016 (plastered twice) ,k-2006 test kit, SWG with spa, kreepy krawly cleaner

Yes! I also noticed this weekend that my salt was getting low - really doubt they EVER check that!

22k gallon, IG Plaster, cartridge, VS pump, built 3/24/2016 (plastered twice) ,k-2006 test kit, SWG with spa, kreepy krawly cleaner

Rookie mistake: 4pm FC was 6.5. 11pm FC (taken after everyone left my pool) was 5.0. This morning, my FC was 6.0. Thinking " this doesn't make sense??", but then realized my nighttime measurement was in the shallow end by the spa, where everyone spent most of their time towards the end of the evening, and I doubt it had much time to circulate everything well. Thinking it held fairly well, but I'm going to do better testing tonight ;-)

To get your salt cell to start working after start up on a new pool, when salt levels are raised properly you need the correct lv for you CYA then you need to raise your chlorine lv to help it, liquid chlorine or shock it. Then you put your salt cell into super chlorinate for 24 hours then you should be good.

You are MUCH better off using liquid chlorine to get your FC level where it needs to be to start things off. Do not use "shock" unless you know what else it adds to the water (cya) and you need it.

You might need to help your SWG out every once in a while with chlorine. So times would be right before and after a large swimmer load or lots of "stuff" from a storm in the pool.

It is not a good idea to set your SWG to "super chlorinate" for any amount of time let alone for 24 hours. It will wear out you cell much faster. If you FC needs a boost it is much better to just use liquid chlorine. Faster and cheaper (in the long run).

Kim:cat:

Thank you! Yes, the more I research, the more I realize that my main problem thus far has been the lack of cya. I'm really hoping once I get into the proper range I can start to back down on my current run %.

You are MUCH better off using liquid chlorine to get your FC level where it needs to be to start things off. Do not use "shock" unless you know what else it adds to the water (cya) and you need it.

You might need to help your SWG out every once in a while with chlorine. So times would be right before and after a large swimmer load or lots of "stuff" from a storm in the pool.

It is not a good idea to set your SWG to "super chlorinate" for any amount of time let alone for 24 hours. It will wear out you cell much faster. If you FC needs a boost it is much better to just use liquid chlorine. Faster and cheaper (in the long run).

I have totally found this to be true. Even setting the cell to a higher percent when the normal is closer to 50% does not add enough, quickly enough to get the PPM to where it needs to be with out risking the PPM getting too low.

Last night, we had a party with about 15 kids in our 12k pool. It was wild but all did really well. I tested the water before the party, it was 4 PPM for FC which is my target. 4 hours later, after the party, it was 2 PPM. I added 5 PPM of liquid chlorine to ensure a good kill off. The SWG would have a hard time getting the baseline back to 4 PPM much less adding some extra to combat all the extra load.

In the above case, since the PPM went to 2, it is actually too low based on the minimum. In the future, I will add at least a few PPM before the party.

So I ended the relationship with the pool guy this morning after a debate about proper TA levels, that algae on rocks is perfectly normal and that my white flakes are because I use the pool "too much". He told me that what I'm trying to do is "bunk" and that I'm over analytical. Nice.

I'll likely be needing some equipment advice really soon! :)

White flakes because you are using the pool too much?????????? Well I never!! heard such "stuff" before. Don't let the gate hit you on the way out!

Now the algae on the rocks.........you need to get into a habit of having a spray bottle for 50/50 bleach water and a stiff brush to scrub them every once in a while.

Let us know when you are ready to move on the equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
e744b267f01f9f7a0d05e8e4ee8f8122.jpg

So here we go. ..first question, how do I know when it's time to clean the filters?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.