Confused about R-7065/CYA Standard Test

May 7, 2016
Atlanta, GA
We got the R-7065 test in the mail today. I was excited to get it because I wanted to ensure we have been doing the CYA test correctly. Now that we have done it we are confused. My husband and I both did the test separately. In fact, I did not tell him it was water set to 50. He thought he was testing our pool water. Both of us came up with 40 as our result. When we poured it to the 50 line and looked at it, we could still see the dot.

We were under the impression it was when the dot disappears. Is that not the case? Is it when it starts to get blurry/obscured?

We truly had no problem seeing it at 50 so now we have no clue what our CYA is.

Any advice is appreciated!

Of course, the resolution on the test is plus or minus 10 ppm. That said, I typically get a test result of around 40-45 ppm.....can't explain it but I am pretty good at that test and I cannot consistently get a perfect 50.

Easy enough to tell what your CYA is, though. Assume your pool water will behave just like the standard.

If your pool water tests at 30, I think you are safe to say you have 35 or so. If your pool water tests at 70, I think you can assume you have close to 80.

Another way you could do it is to do the standard and add it into the view tube to 50....don't look at the dot, just add enough to get to 50. Now you know that Taylor says that's what your dot should look like.

It sure isn't perfect but I know of no other way to deal with it.

Another way you could do it is to do the standard and add it into the view tube to 50....don't look at the dot, just add enough to get to 50. Now you know that Taylor says that's what your dot should look like.

that's pretty much what I did...once I did that, I updated my results from 40 to 50 and treat it as such!
All is good!

Thanks guys! That's what we will start doing! On a separate note, you really do need to wait a full week after adding CYA to test. I read someone said they were able to test after a day or two. Our result DEFINITELY looks different a week after adding verses two days after adding!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.