12 days of Slam

Hi,

The pool looks a bit more blue to me today except in the deep end where there seems to be a greenish cloud in the middle. I can see the pattern of the shallow end if I look really closely!
It has been cool and cloudy for the past two days and that has really helped with keeping the chlorine at slam level! (also helped with my comfort level while scrubbing!)

8:15.JPG8:16.JPG
Yesterday Today

8:15 stairs.JPG8:16 stairs.JPG

Brenda

You should be progressing more. I really think you should try some cellulose. A quick search on here should give you the info. My theory is it catches finer stuff whether dead or alive and gets it out of the way. If you could at least get it cleared you can at see some progress and see if your missing anything in the deep end. if you decide to go this route watch your pressure it may climb fast.

are you using skimmer socks? The would help catch stuff as well. I use hairnets but they work well.

have you checked your cya recently? How many times a day are you testing? The pump is running 24/7?

how about cc’s?

I can faintly see the pattern on the bottom in the second picture and it’s definitely more blue. That’s a win in my book yeah🎉🎉🎉 progress.

Last edited:
Hi Chrissykr!

My CYA was 50 a couple days ago and the cc was .5 on Friday.

I try to test hourly and the filter has been running 24/7 since the beginning of July.

No skimmer sock- but I will certainly check it out! I'll try almost anything at this point!

Thank you!

Off to read about cellulose!

Brenda

So, I can use fiber clear with my cartridge filters? I'm reading a lot about people with sand filters.....
Yes, I saw a thread on here and one of the experts said to use it with the cartridge filter. So I went and looked at my bag of Fiber Clear and it said you could use it. I have used Fiber Clear For several years. This year since switching to the SWG I haven’t used it because the water is so clear.

I really think you should consider it. It filters really well. I use it when I slam as well.

I have read a bit more about fiber clear and Yes, you're right! I can use it with the cartridge filter! As soon as I'm finished with work I'm heading out to buy some!
-I can see the bottom of the shallow end from a standing position today-not crystal clear yet, but I can definitely see it! Hopefully adding the Fiber clear will turn this around finally!

Thank you!!

Brenda

Hi,

I added the fiber clear yesterday afternoon. Today the water is definitely more blue and I can see the bottom of the shallow end and the slope to the deep end- so that's a huge improvement! The water is still very cloudy and has a greenish tint still over the deep end. I hope this pool is turning the corner finally!

8:17.JPG8:18 pool.JPG 8:16 stairs.JPG8:18.JPG
Yesterday Today Sunday Today

Brenda

Your doing great! Has your pressure risen at all? The deep end will be the last to see blue. Keep filtering that crud out🎉🎉🎉

How is the chlorine going are you holding chlorine, feeling any slime? Clearing the pool is just one part of the process. Let’s get you to the occult and finish this so you can enjoy all your hard work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Keep an eye on your pressure with the cellulose. It will hold steady for a while and then spike. I had cellulose in for about 10 minutes without the needle budging, and then suddenly it rose by 1 PSI every 30 seconds. Thankfully I had an assistant keeping an eye on it when I was on the other side of the pool.

My SLAM seemed to stall forever. The turning point for me was when I started cleaning the filter daily whether it needed it or not. The pressure wasn't rising but the backwash was GROSS! And the water cleared quickly after that.

Hi!

The pressure has been holding steady at around 20. I'm going to clean the filters today.

We've been trading out filters with the new set we bought, but I'm guessing I don't want to do that right now as I want the cellulose in the filter.

Brenda

Hi Mike,

The pressure with the new filters starts off around 12-15. The pressure with these ones wasn't getting above 30. (35 is the stop mark)

Today when I pulled out the cartridges with the fiber clear the pressure was around 30.

Look at this filter! It cleaned off surprisingly well!
filter 8:19.JPG

Hi,

Today the pool was a pretty blue color! Still cloudy and I don't think it gained any extra clarity overnight. But the color is certainly changing!

I swapped out the fiber clear filters with the clean newer filters.

Does anyone know if I need to add more fiber clear to the filter now that I've cleaned them? Is it a once and done kind of thing or do I have to add more each time I clean the filter? I think it's really helping my pool!

8:18.JPG8:19 stairs.JPG
Yesterday Today
8:18 pool.JPG8:19.JPG
The picture make's it look more blue yesterday, but it's definitely more blue today- we had just had a torrential rain and thunderstorm and the light was weird outside!

Brenda

Hi,

Today the pool was a pretty blue color! Still cloudy and I don't think it gained any extra clarity overnight. But the color is certainly changing!

I swapped out the fiber clear filters with the clean newer filters.

Does anyone know if I need to add more fiber clear to the filter now that I've cleaned them? Is it a once and done kind of thing or do I have to add more each time I clean the filter? I think it's really helping my pool!

View attachment 158867View attachment 158868
Yesterday Today
View attachment 158869View attachment 158870
The picture make's it look more blue yesterday, but it's definitely more blue today- we had just had a torrential rain and thunderstorm and the light was weird outside!

Brenda
Yes, the Fiber Clear needs to added each time you change the filters. A lot of gunk yuck. How is the chlorine going? Any slime?

Hi,

The pool loses 1-4 ppm below slam level when the sun is beating down on it during the day (every hour-ish). But holds steady for several hours otherwise. I'm not noticing any slime. I brush twice a day.
The square footage of my filter is 420 and I added 8 cups of fiber clear (the bag said 8 cups for 400 )
The flow on the returns is still good at a pressure of 30-no noticeable difference.

I'm going out soon to change the filters again and will add more fiber clear then. (I don't want to gunk up the new filters).

Brenda

How many cartridges does the filter take?

I'm not sure I'd be worried about using the fiber with the new filters. The fiber may clean off the filters easier than the finer dirt that's in the water. How'd the pool get so dirty, was it uncovered/unused for a long period of time?

When reading through your thread yesterday I was convinced something was wrong with the filter but from your responses & picture everything seems ok. The filter is certainly capturing the dirt but I can't imagine why it's taking this long.

How many cartridges does the filter take?

I'm not sure I'd be worried about using the fiber with the new filters. The fiber may clean off the filters easier than the finer dirt that's in the water. How'd the pool get so dirty, was it uncovered/unused for a long period of time?

When reading through your thread yesterday I was convinced something was wrong with the filter but from your responses & picture everything seems ok. The filter is certainly capturing the dirt but I can't imagine why it's taking this long.

I couldn’t figure it out either. That’s why I suggested the Cellulose, I thought if we could get some of the algae both dead and alive out it would help move things along.

Do you have an idea of how much you are losing overnight?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.