12 days of Slam

Hmm.... your logs look pretty good to me. Slightly below your SLAM level, but not too far under and you are testing very often.

Can you post a pic from today and see if we can see any improvement? Are you sure there are no leaves, dirt, etc in the bottom that is using up chlorine? Do you have a robot, polaris or other type of cleaner you are using?

How is your filter when you clean it? Are you sure it is working okay?

Barring that I have nothing. I know you, like most people, would be frustrated and tempted to try pool store magic. Before you try those I would be tempted to just pretend your CYA was 50 and try slamming at that rate for a few days.

Thanks JJ Tex. I will try to go with the higher CYA levels for a couple days- It can't hurt at this point!

I'll get a picture next time I'm out, but I swear it looks different every time I'm out there due to the light!

The filter has been pretty dirty every day when we clean it. We just put anew filters in yesterday and I haven't taken them out yet-we will soon and I'll let you know!

Brenda

You will be surprised by how much debree is in the pool when you can't see it. I put the robot vacuum in and took it out every 30 minutes and it was full of leaf, egg corn, ect. Clarifier will just make it worse, I tried to do that as well last year and it didn't work out for me. Stay the course.

Hi,

It's been a busy week and there wasn't much difference in the pool so I haven't been updating.
We finally got our new filter cartridges in yesterday (so clean and shiny!). We changed them out yesterday afternoon thinking THIS has to make a difference. So far, nothing. I'm getting really impatient and frustrated and about ready to go buy clarifier- we just want to swim before we have to close the pool! (Talk me out of it!)
We're finishing up our 4th week of SLAM. I test every 1-3 hours and consistently have to add chlorine every time ( a few cups) while the sun is out. It holds slam level when the sun isn't directly on the pool and does OK over night, only losing 1-2 ppm.

CC was 1 yesterday. The filter has been running 24/7 for 27 days $$$$$!

Will this pool ever clear up? (I know it will eventually) Is it normal for SLAM to take this long?

Brenda
Is draining and refilling an option for you? The whole process took less than a day for me using the tarp method. It was easier than I expected

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi,

Thank you for the advice. It sure would be a faster fix and we would love to be swimming right now!
Yes. It's a lot of time and effort, but I just can't see myself draining and refilling the pool at this point. If I can't turn this pool around we might consider it for next year. I am really worried that draining might damage my pool or cause some other problem.
Do you think that it won't clear?

Brenda

It can be tricky to drain a vinyl lined pool... you can't go below ~2' in the shallow end lest the liner shift. If you wanted to drain to that level and refill quickly it would be a faster SLAM process on the remaining water once refilled.

We've helped owners clean up black swamps with wildlife living in them.....so we know you can do it.

We'll help you along which ever way you decide....

Maddie

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement Maddie!

We're not planning on draining the pool this summer. I'm going to continue the SLAM and expect the best!
I just detail scrubbed all of the nooks and crannies that I can reach (again). I'm hoping with the new filters and maintaining a higher SLAM level for a few days will turn this thing around!
The water is clear around the edges about 1-2 feet down, but the middle is cloudy.

Brenda

Thanks for the encouragement Maddie!

We're not planning on draining the pool this summer. I'm going to continue the SLAM and expect the best!
I just detail scrubbed all of the nooks and crannies that I can reach (again). I'm hoping with the new filters and maintaining a higher SLAM level for a few days will turn this thing around!
The water is clear around the edges about 1-2 feet down, but the middle is cloudy.

Brenda

I'm sure you know this but with a Vinyl pool you should only drain about 1/3 of the pool and refill and definitely not drain below return lines.

Its your call. I prefer to say no, because it can mask how much chlorine gets lost and uses the cell hours up. Others prefer to say yes only cause its "free" chlorine.

Definitely *no* during OCLT, right!

Maddie :flower:

Hi all,

Today marks one full month since we installed the new pump and began slamming our pool.
We put in new filters three days ago and I have upped my hourly chlorine to above the recommended dosing for 36 hours now. Nothing.

I am beyond frustrated. What more can I do beyond throwing literal dollar bills in the pool. (I don't want to drain/refill).

Brenda

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.