12,000gals in Texas

I am starting to work on a new pool project for my small backyard. Pool will be a bit under 12k gals. The builder has recommended an IC20 for the SCG. I will also have an infloor cleaning system. Do you think this is the right choice or should i step up to an IC40? The pool will be powered by pentair using the screen logics system.

On another hand i am also worried about heat in the summer with the unfloor cleaing system and only being 12kgals im afraid the pool my get unenjoyable warm. My backyard faces north with the house on the Southside.

I will upload the full details once i sign the contract.

Deeper pools do stay a tad cooler in the hottest months. Alternatively, some heat pumps will run in reverse and act as coolers, and simple fountains can cool pools down pretty well too.

Getting a bigger SWG allows you to use it less, which can extend its lifespan.

Infloor cleaners are way too costly for a small pool and somewhat problematic when a good robot for about $1,000 tops will do the job much better.

Maddie :flower:

S,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your "How many Gals are there in Texas?" questions.... :shark:

I am not a fan of in-floor systems but would like to know if this system was your idea or the pool builder's idea? I would suggest that you talk with other pool owners, near you, that have in-floor systems and get their feedback before deciding on installing one in your pool...

Many years ago, when the only option for pool cleaners was either a pressure or suction side cleaner, it made some sense to look at in-floor cleaning systems.. But, just like the old, black, rotary dial phones and phone booths, water powered cleaners, that require you to run your pump to clean your pool, are yesterday's technology... Just like your cell phone has replaced the land line, Robots are replacing water powered cleaners.. They do a better job and do not require you to run your pool pump, just to clean your pool.

The IC20 is big enough for your pool, but the cost to step up to the IC40 is not all that much when you look at the overall cost of the pool...

You will love your new saltwater pool!!! It is the easiest type of pool to maintain. What pump are you getting? I hope a VS pump as they make the most sense when you have a SWCG... (Just make sure you do not get the SVRS version of any pump)

You will also love your EasyTouch and ScreenLogic.. Just make sure you get a "real" EasyTouch, and not one of the "Lite" models... (If they have an "L" in the P/N, such as PL4 or PSL4, you do not want them.)

ScreenLogic2 makes using the EasyTouch so easy, even I can do it... :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jim / Yippee
thanks for the input. Yes a VC pump Intelliflo 3HP is what is listed. I have not seen the contract yet so don't have any part numbers. once i get this i will be posting the info. the in-floor system was somewhat my idea. I have seen them and know a few people that have them and they love them. One reason i wanted to find out more info was because i am not a fan of the robots and how they have to be moved. I have children and a wife that tends to not take great care of thing and i can see this getting broken every easily. the in-floor system is a line Item on the budget info and is listed just over $2,00.00 for a Paramount PVR system. In my last pool I had a Kreepy Krauly. Loved the sound it made but hated how it worked and how it always got it the way. My sister has something similar to the Pentair Racer, her pool is never very clean and that little bugger sprays the windows all the time. This is a other thing I am not wanting to happen with my build. The pool will be located really close to my house and windows. by backyard is only 23'x70'

The PB says the IC40 is over kill and will make it hard to control the chem levels. I am not really buying this and haven't seen the cost

On another note, I have two options for filtration DE 60 or cartage 520. I leaning more on towards the 520 Cartridge system.

Having 2 small children and a demanding wife I don't see myself having a lot of time to maintain the pool and i don't want to pay someone to do it. I have done it before and I know i can do it again. This is one of the reasons why i chose the salt pool, yes still requires maintenance but not as often. For the heat issue I asked the PB to leave enough room on the pad to place a Glacier Pool Cooler if I feel i need it at a later time. I have a friend that has one and in the hottest days of summer his pool is almost to chilly.

this is how the budget info came a cross to me
91' Perimeter Pool & Spa (375 sq. ft. total)
24" Raised Spa w/ Tile Spillway & 8 Therapy Jets
Pentair DE 60 or 520 Cartridge Filtration System
Pentair Intelliflo 3.0 hp. Hi Efficiency Multi Speed Pump
Pentair Whisperflo 1.5 hp. Booster Pump
Pentair Mastertemp 400,000 BTU Heater
Pentair Screen Logic Control Sytem (Software Interface)
Pentair Racer Automatic Pool Cleaner
Powerclean In-Line Chlorine Feeder System
(2) LED Pool Lights / (1) LED Spa Light
2" Travertine or Lueders Limestone Coping
6" Tile Waterline
(50') of 24" Raised Stone Retaining Wall
(1) 36" & (2) 18" Sheer Waterfalls
(1) LED Bubbler Fountain (At Sun Ledge)
520 sf. of Travertine Paver Pool Flatwork
Pebble Sheen Aggregate Interior Finish
Sun Ledge, Entry Steps, Bench Seats (per plan)
Utility runs and Hook Ups
Mini Excavation w/ Double Bobcat Shuttle
Site Preparation and Rough Grading of Pool Area
Start Up Chemicals, Water Balancing, & Technical Instruction
Lifetime Structural Warranty

(Line Items)
Paramount In Floor Cleaning System
Intellichlor Salt Purification System
(3) Low Voltage Wall Lights
Additional GFCI - 110 v Duplex

s,

With the EasyTouch and ScreenLogic, the IC40 will be perfect.. it is not overkill.. In theory, you will run it at a lower output meaning it will just last longer. Just the same as getting a bigger gas tank on your car...

I have the CCP-520 cartridge filter and only clean my filter twice a year. I could probably go a whole year between cleanings, but my OCD won't let me.. :p

If you want an in-floor system, then I say get one... We often see them being pushed on new buyers as "required" and just wanted to make sure that was not the case..

Just to make sure we are both on the same page.. A Pentair Racer and a Robot cleaner are two entirely separate types of cleaners.. The Racer is a pressure side cleaner but a Robot is a standalone unit that runs off of low voltage DC. There is no way for them to "spray" anything..

If you get the Saltwater system, you do not need the tab-feeder

If you get in-floor system, you do not need the Racer or booster pump..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Since the in-floor and salt are other options in this budget the PB put the what is needed in the top section. I only assume they will remove the Racer. The booster pump for what i was told is so that we can run the water features and the spa at the same time. The PB said that they normally leave the Tab feeder in case we ever decide to move away from salt. like that is going to happen lol. Thanks for the Info Ill keep y'all posted on the final outcome.

Just consider that an in floor cleaner will be a bugaboo to fix if it has a problem. A robot gets pulled out of the pool easily and repaired or replaced. It doesn't require a pump to run it, just an outlet. It can't spray water on the pool deck or your windows. Its cleaning power is far superior to any other cleaner. Robots take far less energy to run than other cleaners.

We've had folks complain about their in floor systems having blind areas that aren't cleaned, or they aren't as powerful as imagined they'd be.

These robots are *amazing*.....and I'm all for simple is best. But we *love* our robot. Not only does it clean the floor, it also saves you from having to brush the walls routinely. A good robot climbs the walls all the way up to the waterline or tile line.

When the robot isn't cleaning, its quite easy to ignore it in the pool or just pull it out and lay it on its side next to the pool until you're done swimming. Then toss it back in.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.