Leak or Evaporation

alfa01

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 19, 2015
Van Nuys, CA
Hello everyone!

I added a raised spa a year ago. Last week as it got really hot in here during the day I noticed that my spa loses 1.5 inch from 8:00pm -7:00am (pump off) vs. pool losing 0.250 inch. Temperatures go down to 60 at night. I did a bucket test on the pool and it is alright (0.250 inch overnight for bucket and pool) but the spa kind of worries me. I calculated the water lose in gallons and turns out both the spa and the pool are losing the same amount of water but how could a spa go down 1.5 inch.? I assume if I do a bucket test on the spa the bucket wont evaporate 1.5 inch vs. spa. My spa spillovers to the pool. My concern is if I have a leak or not. No visual leakage anywhere.

I have 3 check valves. Two are right before the pumps (Jandy) and one is on the spa by pass (transparent and not Jandy, has to be cut off in order to replace). Can you really tell by looking at it if it is malfunctioning.?

If you had a malfunctioning check valve, the water from the spa would leak back into the pool until the level of the water and spa are equal. Then when the pump starts up, the spa fills up to the correct level. The process repeats every time the pump is off for a period of time. No water loss is happening. So, is the spa leaking back into the pool when the pump is off?

If your check valve is the type with the flapper, sometimes you can see the flap is worn. You can replace that part. If you have another style where it has two unions, one on each end, you have to replace the entire body just be unscrewing the unions and pull the old one out and insert new one. But you say yours has to be cut out. So in that case if that is the bad one, get one that has unions so you can replace it if it goes bad again.

I'm really not sure if spa water goes to the pool because I did a bucket test on the pool and overnight pool went down 0.250 inch as well as the bucket and at the same time spa went down 1.5 inch. I assume from this that spa water doesn't go to the pool.
s-l300.jpg

I have a valve between my spa and pool. When it is removed (for the winter), the water from the pool and spa are connected so that they equal out. I keep this connection plugged during swim season.

If you do have a leak, it might be underground which would be more noticeable when the pump is running. You could try a bucket test with the pump running.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.