Pool Chlorine Issue

BuckeyeChris' point is that the algae is growing on the surface of the pool (walls and floor) so draining and refilling will still leave the algae in the pool. And you will still have to kill the algae after the pool is refilled.

The way to kill algae in a pool is to follow the SLAM process consistently and completely. It works in hundreds of pools every year.

Test FC several times per day and dose it back to shock level for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]
Brush as often as you can, once or twice a day is preferred

Here is the process to review and make sure you are following it. SLAM Process

I feel I have followed the process to the tee and I keep losing 3ppm for 5 days straight during overnight. 0 cc and water is sparkling.

When I drained and filled I removed my light to clean behind. Its was a gooey mess. I was surprised since it's dark back there. I cleaned it best I could as it's hard to get to in and empty 9.5' deep pool. I squirted out as much goo as I could. If you have a light it might be a good idea to see what's behind it. Even if you just remove it and set it on the deck for a few days it would let more chlorinated water get to it.

I agree with your concerns about testing consistency as it seems odd to me to that you would consistently be consuming that much chlorine with nothing visible. (I don't have as much experience as most of the posters here, but logically???) Is your water still overnight or are you still running 24/7? If you are not running 24/7 is your pump on or off when you test each time?

Pump on 24/7, I test with it on 24/7.

As for the light, I had it hanging out since I started the SLAM process. So the chlorinated water was always getting into the socket.

I didn't yet. Still waiting on if I will fix it or need to buy new filter. My filter has leaks in backwash, the parts that I may need are discontinued :( and if the cost is almost the same as new filter, may as well buy new filter.

In any case, I did an OCLT from different location today. Near the skimmer (deepend) but from the right side of it. Shows 25 to 24 drop. But that could be 1.3 or .95 drop. As each drop is 1, and when I got to 23, it was very subtle pink. After dropping 24th drop it was 100% clear.

does that mean I'm good? Or, should I do one more OCLT to be safe? Also, it was cloudy the past 24 hours so that may have contributed.

CC = 0
Water clarity never changed. Was always clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure about quarter test as my vision isn't the greatest to see that far, but I'm sure it should be clear.

- - - Updated - - -

And the water would distort the quarter anyway to not see if it's heads or tails clearly unless I turn off the filter.

I think you are good to go! Maybe keep FC 1 or 2 PPM above target level for your CYA as extra insurance and be sure to brush weekly and keep an eye on things. Try another OCLT in a couple of days at a lower FC and see how it does. Nice work sticking with it! :thumleft:

Did you try INYO Pools for your filter parts? I hear they are good at hunting down old stuff. They also have some how to videos on multiport valves, gaskets and repairs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll be sure to check it out! Thanks for all your help! And keeping FC 1-2 above target level is exactly what I had in mind!

Is it normal to have dark lines of sand between the grooves of the liner across the pool floor on occasion? I sense it is dead algae or dead organics that you vacuum? Or, do TFP owners never have to vacuum if FC is maintained at appropriate levels at all times after successful SLAM?

Hi,

So I started dropping the chlorine and in a day and a half I lost FC from 27 down to 13. Is this normal? 14 FC. I'm concerned when I go into maintenance it won't last a day before it goes below minimum.

also, I can only test and adjust ALK, PH below 10 FC? Is that correct? CYA seems to be holding around 55-60.

I should also mention I had to fill about 1-2 hours of water via garden hose as it evaporated, plus chlorine probably dehydrated some water and the back washing I did. Which could be the reason chlorine dropped so much. Also the weather was about 85-90 farenheight with super strong sun last day and a half

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.