Super green pool & problems with pool store suggestions

How did you add the cal-hypo? If added through the skimmer, the calcium can sit in the filter and cause an increase in psi. The good news is that the calcium layer can trap some metals.

If broadcast in the pool, it can take a while to dissolve and register as FC. Also, if broadcast, make sure you brush up any residue as it is slow to dissolve and can bleach your liner.

I broadcasted the cal-hypo along the sides of the pool and brushed the sides and bottom vigorously after the application.

The FC was all the way back down to 1-2 this morning. I added 9 more bags of the cal-hypo and have not been out to test since we are having a heavy thunderstorm.

I have 3lbs of cal-hypo left then I will be switching to bleach.

Also, the water this morning was bright blue for the first time since opening!! Still not clear but we're getting there.

The FC was all the way back down to 1-2 this morning. I added 9 more bags of the cal-hypo and have not been out to test since we are having a heavy thunderstorm.

I have 3lbs of cal-hypo left then I will be switching to bleach.

Also, the water this morning was bright blue for the first time since opening!! Still not clear but we're getting there.
It's like so many things in life...

Toast: Almost there almost there almost there black.
Bacon: Almost there almost there almost there burnt.
Pool: Green green green green blue. Cloudy cloudy cloudy cloudy clear.

Pool: Green green green green blue. Cloudy cloudy cloudy cloudy clear.

Haha well here's to hoping that doesn't turn into Pool: Green green green green blue. Cloudy cloudy cloudy cloudy green.

Today is day 4 of slamming and things seem to be stabilizing. I used up the rest of the cal-hypo we had and stocked up on bleach at walmart yesterday. The FC has been a lot easier to keep up and I haven't been having to add as much to maintain 12.

Should I keep brushing the sides every day or let the water clear up so I can vacuum the debris off the bottom? When I brush it it stays cloudy/kicks up stuff on the bottom so vacuuming isn't really an option.

Here's a progress pic from yesterday after a rainstorm.

View attachment 49561

Love this thread! How's the pool doing?

Thanks! Glad you're liking it.

The pool is looking a bit better, but still mostly cloudy. I've only been able to work on it later in the evenings since work has been keeping me busy. It has been pretty easy to maintain FC between 16-18, and I've continued to brush it daily.

We were hoping to have it ready by this weekend since its going to be super hot here, but I guess we'll have to wait another week or so.

Hey guys,

Today is day 9 of slamming and the water is still as cloudy as it was on the 4th day. I have retested the CYA and have adjusted it to 50 and maintained shock level accordingly. I just tested and and came up with FC of 24. I have continued to brush daily. The FC is barely dropping despite full all day sunny weather.

Is there something else that could be causing this cloudiness? I'll continue to follow the SLAM guide, but just thought I'd check in to see if anyone has any insights.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you been taking pics each day? THAT will help you and us see if there has been ANY progress. Your eyes cannot see the difference day to day......we have seen it many times........the pics tell the story the eyes cannot see. Take the pictures looking down onto the steps.

Kim:cat:

Have you been taking pics each day?

I did take a picture of the ladder steps last week. Here is that one compared to one I took today. Definitely appears to be some progress, however the first picture was right after we had a rain storm and I had brushed the sides and bottom of the pool, so I'm not sure this is the best comparison.

View attachment 50047

View attachment 50048

Re: Super green pool & problems with pool store suggestions

Can you take that ladder out and scrub under the rungs and all the nooks and crannies?

- - - Updated - - -

And also along the pool wall where the plastic ends on the ladder rest against it?

Re: Super green pool & problems with pool store suggestions

Can you take that ladder out and scrub under the rungs and all the nooks and crannies?

I may be able to take it off, though I haven't taken it off before. It gets taken off and stored when we close for winter and put back on when we have it reopened in the spring. Will update if it looks like I can remove it.

There's usually only like a bolty-thing you have to loosen on each handrail where they go into the deck.

Yep looks like 16mm bolts, I think I can get it off. I'm about to go try.

The water is actually clear enough right now that I can see to the bottom of the shallow end. I can see some dark areas where there is a build up of dead/alive algae. Would it be advisable to vacuum this stuff to waste to speed up the process rather than continuing to brush and let the filter slowly do the work?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.