Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa Seat and walls very rough like sandpaper

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa Seat and walls very rough like sandpaper

Have an inground pool with attached spa. When i removed the cover to open pool i noticed that the entire spa is very rough like sandpaper. Pool is 2 years old i i run a salt generator. What is th roughness and how do i get rid of it ?
    21 X 42 freeform gunite pool w/ spa
    white plaster finish
    Jandy VS ProFlow Pump
    3 returns, 2 skimmers
    pentair DE filter
    Aquapure 1400 SWG
    Raypac 399,000 BTU Heater
    Zodiac Nature 2 Pool sanitizer (haven't used yet)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Spa Seat and walls very rough like sandpaper

Without a full set of test results it's really impossible to tell but I would venture it's scale deposit from improper water balance. The higher temperatures in the spa make scale more likely to form. Your very low CYA and high TA last year and the resulting pH spikes are a contributing factor also. Hopefully you got your CYA up to around 80 ppm and your TA down to 70 ppm like we suggested last year!

3. Back To Top    #3

when i opened the pool the ph was high and the chlorine level was low but evrything else seemed fine. How do i get the scale deposits off the walls ?
    white plaster finish
    Jandy VS ProFlow Pump
    3 returns, 2 skimmers
    pentair DE filter
    Aquapure 1400 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by GZelano
    when i opened the pool the ph was high and the chlorine level was low but evrything else seemed fine. How do i get the scale deposits off the walls ?
    "Fine" is not a test result number and tells us nothing. We need to see all the numbers. The only test numbers I have seen you post were in this thread last year
    post49710.html#p49710
    and they were NOT balanced for a SWG and were an invitation to scaling.
    First thing is to post a full set of test results and we can take it from there but I wlll tell you that in many cases the only thing you can do is acid wash. I assume it's a plaster spa?

You might also want to take some time to reread this pool school article:
    pool-school/read_before_you_post

and this thread:
    water-balance-tips-for-a-swg-t3663.html

Like I said, I hope you raised your CYA and lowered you TA last year when we advised you to. If not then that is your first step. (or your second if you do not have a good test kit like we describe in pool school that uses the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Getting the kit would be your first step! )

5. Back To Top    #5

ph-7.5
    cl-2
    t/a-70
    cya-30
    ch-220

Plaster pool and spa - pool seems to be smooth but spa isn't. Spa was smooth when we closed pool in october. When i opened the pool it looked like little white flakes stuck to the spa walls.
    white plaster finish
    Jandy VS ProFlow Pump
    3 returns, 2 skimmers
    pentair DE filter
    Aquapure 1400 SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

I have used a fine grit (400-600) wet sandpaper to remove scale. It is slow going but works quite well without taking too much off.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by GZelano
    ph-7.5
    cl-2
    t/a-70
    cya-30
    ch-220

Plaster pool and spa - pool seems to be smooth but spa isn't. Spa was smooth when we closed pool in october. When i opened the pool it looked like little white flakes stuck to the spa walls.
    It was little white flakes. It's one of the forms scaling takes.

well you did get the TA down but your CYA is WAY too low for a SWG and is the main reason that your pH was spiking enough to create the scaling conditions Get your CYA up to 80 ppm for the next step and read the links I posted above! We want to get your water balanced so this does not continue to happen before we try and fix what already has!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ph - 7.6
    CL - 2
    T/A - 80
    CYA - 60
    Calcium - 200
    Salinity - 3320

Also just added the Borates today. Will try to order test strips and measure when they get here. Do you think i need to raise the Calcium level to 300 for gunite ? Any other suggestions ?
    white plaster finish
    Jandy VS ProFlow Pump
    3 returns, 2 skimmers
    pentair DE filter
    Aquapure 1400 SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

Your chlorine level is a little low for your CYA level, even with a SWG. FC should always be at least 3 with a SWG when CYA is 60.

I would raise CH to at least 250, no need for 300.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School