Taming the green beast

Yes, ambient light does affect the reading of the test. We specify that the test should be done in full sun, with your back to the sun and tube held at waist level when reading.

You are making great strides. Just be careful not to mentally get ahead of the process. He last parts can often take the most patience. Remember to wait for all three tests to be passed before declaring success. Clear water means crystal clear.

Great job so far!

Had a big setback on Friday. Came home from work to find the FC at 1. :cry:
The water was noticibly greener. I headed out HD to get some quickrete for new vinyl lined basketball court, but the wife talked me down. 6gal of bleach and 6 hours of vacuuming on Saturday, I think we are getting back on track.
OCLT from last night shows it still used 7.5 ppm overnight. So that isn't great. FC was 18.5 this morning, I put in 3 gal anyway to see if I can make it through the day. Any other suggestions on this? How do you keep slam level for 12 hours while at work?

All you can do is test FC and raise it back to shock level as often as possible. Adding a lot of FC above shock level just isn't all that helpful. It wastes bleach because it dissipates at a faster rate and increases risk of bleaching out the liner. If you can squeeze in 2 additions in the morning that would help the progress. Otherwise, just do the best you can. The process still works and you are still killing algae as long as FC is above minimum. It just might take a little longer.

Is there ANY one that could slip over and add chlorine at mid day? They would not have to test. Just have the jug out for them to pour in. (I would not have anyone in my area so understand if it is not possible)

Kim:cat:

Things are lookin up!
You can see the bottom now in the shallow end (admittedly, with some effort...).

Numbers from last night:
FC 21
CC 1
PH 6.8
TA 160
CYA 40

That PH seems to be the wrong way for a shock reading. I'll leave it alone for the time being.
Sun is out full blast today, so its going to be rough on the FC. I know it is sacrilege around here, but I've been keeping a trichlor floater in there to help keep the numbers up during the day...and it has been helping a lot. I have room on the CYA, as I'll be going salt as soon as this SLAM is over.

Oh hey - I fixed the fence too.

Without further ado:
MJhYRYpph65dGBdmJraLMyUNEEcDoOqEuuZU3_9R3-ZDqsidYbd9-_WZcIpWn7iHBlDAsYm2qhfEpIFoGy0HpMxcST81JhKY8B4xPhSKzcwf9-FkUNluZU2Ca7cWkuSjnSL6AOxZ89SUpCooiDjyLpPqw0HYFz6GShDNvoZIW_3j_1NHETIm2IuPgjzHkcp40pyj6nsvtqnMP2ofXBLz1kMzhEkcLOZmvIsAD8w2jcYEi2leHxOUpQ7qOaOYVcYBceA8UVEuF0V6N5RJyIk19RYIJIWquDv6CItmxhcG6-8M7ORvoeeoeS8dWhXACaZGjtjz05e6MR_RAqQV5JrH5Rer35A5WHMFjlJLNwxVPBeGuRR1vuTIC40uh5DAcALnKIdl68fFzeBZtc-kiTUZyYhfzWHhSYpxg9FNPGk8eLLWbSlIW38siGePWkxjVzdQ4J3Ivp0-NMDUnSyH5n17yjaTSe_q1QCBNRPp_21q-dzHrvsBkjdR4ZZ-vu3JwrsIhWQiaJV6S604GxIKtme7B5r9BPoURxZ80c3Qf80wp-2T_Jrwr-e9peCOTk23gJmd76T_iw7Rnmah6kzerPEid_5KmUKI1xuz=w1181-h665-no

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That PH seems to be the wrong way for a shock reading. I'll leave it alone for the time being.
pH is adjusted before a SLAM because the pH test is not reliable with FC above 10. Pay no mind to pH (don't even test for it) during a SLAM. As soon as you pass, and FC subsequently drops below 10, then you can resume your pH testing.

pH is adjusted before a SLAM because the pH test is not reliable with FC above 10. Pay no mind to pH (don't even test for it) during a SLAM. As soon as you pass, and FC subsequently drops below 10, then you can resume your pH testing.

Yeah, I just thought it was odd that the PH had been reading high all along, now its suddenly low. Whatever, worry about it later.

So the last 2 CC readings have been 0.5...Any day now I am going to come home from work to nice clear water.

Sometimes the last one, clear water, can take some time. I'd recommend not setting a time frame of several days, in your mind. I'd rather hear you say, "I'm solemnly swear to SLAM until the water is crystal clear" (assuming you still pass the other two tests at that time as well). Looking great, and hopefully it will be only a few days, but let the water determine when the SLAM ends.

In the interest of a quick update, the water looked really great last night. Did a little more vaccuming, then I decided to take the lights out of the niches just to see what might be hiding in there.
It was terrifying. Green clouds and long snakes of green slime. I panicked a little, and poured in a gallon of bleach (or maybe more....) all around the fixtures, then went to cleaning the niches out. Glad I decided to do this while I was still at shock level, but, now the water is a little cloudy again. FC was still 30 this morning, so I probably killed it.

Great job. There's always a reason, sometimes finding it just takes some time. I see crystal clear water in your future!

So, I think the slam is done. The water is nice and clear. Looks better than any pool I've been in. Time to let the FC drop and start dumping in some salt this weekend.

But I have this issue, which I now realize is very difficult to see in the photo. And the photo makes the water seem cloudy, which it isn't at all...hmmm.....
Anyway, the primary slope changes in the deep end accumulate this light brownish sediment. I vacuum it up, careful as can be so as to not stir it up, then the next day its back in exactly the same spots. I haven't resorted to a vac-to-waste yet, maybe I should. I have been putting some DE in the (sand) filter, so it could be DE or dead algae. What do you all think? If it IS algae, I don't want to end the slam yet.

AGmpavLZXXnnxw5s7FGLFqHMofYAjUkbkt5CUoPqLhrqVBcAeaWpNfb2iVJmfz-Ly6z58gePG2ZuVpakCU1mUOUCSPGu8V7iVVjlX4JPxCDYDjojvFTwczmP2LDxWNnslbjvJMRBqDQlxVpPalfJTTPbJt_TtHAuRGRsV9aV37pZAroxdFX_-hH1PK0RkQOqC2_vBwu4CMqO_atO_2uEtUcWteQ-FOxNZOR-g5TTkIYQOLxWnABl-82vkxCgKu3neNObjbd_kkHkhOLwurdcTp90QJ3x_38DFnLFxLaxRHO3CDgXu7t14b3SlcwXrUUEVMx68LNfNZmqKXfDKUuyvDTrMIrm80LEhBtI2Y33amrDjtEt9H8DajmCM4ItPlmfjB6w5HggP1fYymx7GKMIn5RCYKMrvlJQZiovTsAgPW5phnia7pmYWAgp2T8gYolfBaEYZlMJ-ZrLimditbHvZ9C2DWOIkcZj_I9u1EfyWNw3BzLoiavG__2DGWu9QcjgOk9H4S-aapiWZsWEOlXfrMm5Dv6rTycF5q774jckWLkCHOAlyRUjn0HQm55YZyxZ_iHliO2bh55BgqEm6I_u3T7bB4p_Bgkn=w1582-h890-no

gqVXFqEylWZEmd4zg6w316P4XO-2y9OBV4aYIdI9b3ru26IkX-bHwTCzBB2eye7YYpDYTzTmxzMxgWVrA-XMgQp1VZBEKZNE4lh1DatpR0zHLP5duI8reKf3EpSpFloaj4p8d75mwflRJSclbQShH3JQlf7UXDvtyaaUa6V_pevW4hbCyAFPUkvyH8-cbi3-9LsLUNXP2IHbMaAtcy5eHOuOdo11qSuBOd1QTxDAnH0VMnlfWu8JRb0Jkce24sv3wwXIWqCkRzv0yCWGEhu_iF63JZblNFXRZdKPSlXL8XPaUbSN0mHfUHf9ww6AVAK9ROBelt6JX_gu8pcE4qlyxGipWb1wJm9xVGr9UII8AyJrs9700IlRi2N9CBezQjRA7RgLq3pyO0Gp6_l5IIq2q2hTnLXkFSKTA7tw0fqR3mwOyp5zwQSX4HFSymM_UYo6o0lmB9p_04nQrGWjzcMWUmdieRBOV__WzLkOMoJ63bNDCPC5UR93EKED2lIPpOqbGf7nsABLsn-dX-RqRw-4Q5k8brmniiGrMbn36fyeSegYLWlCLQVsuFCuEA4ttqm3Rq0XtXJmV3Hto4b1uZPWz2K3ZeJasLnP=w1582-h890-no

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.