Pool Issues - New Owner

bal31

Feb 10, 2016
Collierville, TN
I am using the TFP method, and things are looking great. However, I have a leak somewhere. I am losing about 2 inches of water/week. I also have some air bubbles coming from one of my returns. Additionally, I went to turn the Polaris cleaner on this morning, the pump comes on but the cleaner does not move. Any help would be appreciated. I considered calling a local pool company to come take a look, but thought I would try here first. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

If you are seeing air bubbles that should mean that you have a suction side leak, i.e. somewhere between the pool (skimmer, main drain) and the pump. If the leak were between the pump and the pool, aka pressure side leak, you would only lose water. Do you find that you lose more water when the pump is off? Try this article, generally leaks are above ground and accessible. I hope your's is. Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

I can't help in the Polaris much, but if air made it to the Polaris that could stop it from operating. Good luck.

The air coming out if your returns means air is getting pulled into the lines somewhere. Since you have a leak, my guess is that this air is coming from the skimmer when the water level lowers. Do the bubbles stop when you top of the water level? I may be wrong but I'm guessing this is not the source of your leak but rather a symptom of it.

As for the source of the leak, have you tried isolating different possible sources? Do you see moisture around any of the equipment or plumbing? If your automatic cleaner doesn't move it's probably not getting enough pressure/suction so I would start looking at things on the pressure side between the pump and the returns. It's your filter pressure reading normal?

A small amount of air bubbles from one return, usually the closest to the pump, is what saltwater chlorine generators do when they are making chlorine. Do you have one?

The pool does is not salt water.

the pressure gauge looks to be shot. It needs replacing, but I am not sure if the gauge can be replace, or if it requires more than that.

I do not usually turn the pump off. I do not have timer, so I usually just let it run all the time. I will do some more investigating. I read where the gasket needs to be coated in silicon lube. Maybe that can be part of it.

Here are some nice gauges for 13 bucks, TFTestkits.net. The gauge should just unscrew and screw in the new one. But, that won't be the source of a suction leak. Suction leak is between the pool and the pump, see link fro Pool Tool above.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.