Green pool upon opening and still green on day 6....

Best thing to do when you need to know exactly how much of something to add..... go to the Poolmath calculator (link below in my sig). We all use it. Just enter your pool size (gallons) at the top, then enter each column for the "NOW" and "TARGET" or GOAL. Once you do that, the calculator tells you how much of a product to add. When it comes to bleach (FC) though, make sure you manually enter the "weight" (percentage) of bleach you are using. That calculator is invaluable to us at TFP.

Once you add stabilizer, simply consider it at your programmed target. You can check CYA about 2-3 days later. For acid, test (validate) in about 20-30 minutes with pump running and it should be fine. You can have the stabilizer socking in a sock and add acid at the same time.

It's how we add the granular stabilizer:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, simply place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and suspend it near a return jet. Probably best not to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface though. You can squeeze the sock occasionally to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level, although the test readings may take anywhere from 24 hours to a few days to fully register. Confirm CYA in about one week before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

- - - Updated - - -

You should always have some stabilizer in the water. It protects your FC from the sun and also protects swimmers and the pool surfaces from the bleach. I don't recall what your current CYA is, but for example, if your current CYA is 30, then the SLAM FC level would be 12. You can see them all on the Chlorine/CYA Chart link below in my sig.

What does this mean "You can have the stabilizer socking in a sock and add acid at the same time."? I thought I should wait until FC is at 5-10 before proceeding to stabilizer.
No. It is fine to add stabilizer, chlorine, Muriatic Acid, Baking Soda, etc. all within fifteen minutes of each other.

Pour liquids in front of a return (for dilution), stabilizer in a sock in the skimmer, and other powder broadcast and brushed. Pump running.

I think this is my last question for now. I have a saltwater pool SLAM says I need to get it to 70, not 30. Can I assume you thought I had a Non-SWG pool? Also, salt is registering low and has for awhile....turn chlorinator off and don't add any salt until SLAM is complete?

For now, you can treat your pool like a non-SWG pool on the chart to save on the amount of bleach you need since most of the time people turn-off their SWG during a SLAM and just use regular bleach. Once you pass the SLAM, then you can increase CYA and FC as appropriate for your SWG pool.

I think you need to have the volume of the pool entered, then put in the percent number found on the bleach (if it doesn't have one don't buy it, it is likely very weak) then put in the current value of bleach concentration and the desired concentration, I usually click on another box just to be sure it updated right and it should tell you how much to add in ounces.

Socking the CYA means to buy a little thin mesh filter for your skimmer and you pour your stabilizer (CYA) into that. As it dissolves it moves into the pump, filter and back into the pool. I have heard of some literally using an old sock or nylons for that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Oh, and I think perhaps you might have been asking about the stabilizer because of my post yesterday (checking for ammonia) right? So if you've already done that test, then you are fine to add stabilizer. If you are just now starting that whole process, then definitely do the 10-min test (first) I noted yesterday to be safe. Does that make sense?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh, in that case just read the directions. It's a bit thick I believe, so you may need to pre-soak it just a bit. I don't recall. But it works very fast, so you won't need the sock method for the liquid. Just look for the liquid/ounces amount on the poolmath calculator so you know how much to put in.

kc_pool - I don't see where you posted the results of the ammonia test. That is very important at this point, if you still have ammonia and the bug that causes it, in your pool, adding stabilizer will only make it worse.
Hopefully you have completed that test procedure by now.

- - - Updated - - -

Here it is again in case you missed it. (Thanks Texas for having this around)

Results! Alright. Here's what I want you to do (with pump running):
1 - Lower pH to about 7.2-7.5 with muriatic acid. Do that first.
2 - Add regular bleach and go for an FC target of 10 PPM; Test again in 10 minutes! If the FC is 5-10 after 10 minutes, then go ahead and do item #3 below. If your FC disappeared to almost nothing, you have ammonia and need to keep adding bleach and testing EVERY 10 min until it holds to 5ppm or more after 10 minutes.
3 - After confirming there is no ammonia as noted in item 2 above, add stabilizer for a CYA target of 30 ppm
4 - Increase FC to 12 ppm and perform everything according to the SLAM page (link below).

From here on, until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria, focus on FC primarily for the first 2-3 days, then you can start checking CC, and maybe confirm CYA in about 3-4 days.

Good luck!

I haven't started anything yet. Going to vacuum and run test results again today since these were all done late yesterday and couldn't get started until today because I had to go get the chemicals. I assume ammonia test is basically step 2 on what Texas Splash told me...make sure I can maintain 5-10 FC after 10 minutes before proceeding to step 3/stabilizer.

Yep, step 2 is the ammonia test. Step 1 was to get the Ph in the ballpark before going after the chlorine which will make the Ph go up on the tests during the slam process but you don't want to try to correct it then.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Socking the CYA means to buy a little thin mesh filter for your skimmer and you pour your stabilizer (CYA) into that. As it dissolves it moves into the pump, filter and back into the pool. I have heard of some literally using an old sock or nylons for that.

When we talk about putting the CYA powder in a sock, we mean a real sock. You do not want the powder to be able to fall out of the mesh. You want it to dissolve into the water. You can hang it in the sock in front of the return or put it in the skimmer using care to not block the water flow. You can also squeeze the sock to help speed up the dissolving.

Kim :cat:

You stated you bought liquid stabilizer, so the sock doesn't apply. Just follow the directions on the bottle to dispense the liquid stabilizer into the water. I would do that right away. Yo need that stabilizer to protect the FC (bleach) that is trying to kill the algae.

- - - Updated - - -

Just so you know, according to the Poolmath Calculator, it takes 176 ounces of liquid stabilizer to raise your CYA from 0 to 30 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.