Brand new to pools not chemistry :)

Hi 54,

That looks like a GREAT! property you have there. Here in hot, flat Houston, people would pay dearly for a view like yours. Keep up the good work on your pool. I would wish you luck, but seems like you are a fast learner and all the TFP experts already have you covered.

Looks very nice!

What awesome progress! You are beating that algae monster back for sure! You will see a little better each day.

Can you do something for me? Put what kind of filter you have in your siggy please. It is helpful to be able to see it at a glance.

Km:cat:

Hi 54,

That looks like a GREAT! property you have there. Here in hot, flat Houston, people would pay dearly for a view like yours. Keep up the good work on your pool. I would wish you luck, but seems like you are a fast learner and all the TFP experts already have you covered.

Looks very nice!

We like the house alot, and the view is pretty good. One day I'll try to use a chainsaw and make it better :). I have been working on the house non stop since we moved in and when I get done with that I can finally start to enjoy the place not just think about my next plan and what options I want.

Kim I thought it was in there I'll check it and update as needed.

Jared

Been a long day but got alot done. Cleaned up the pool house area, got alot of algae out, and found that I have a haviland discharge hose (or some approximation, might be a vacuum hose) that works perfectly. Guess the last guys had no clue, this forum has been invaluable already. I'll have to support soon that saved me alot of time and headache. I think I'll still put a connect up somewhere and pipe it with the 1 inch pvc I put together but man that is nice. My wife brushed earlier and it took 4 back flushes to clean the filter. Bringing the cl back up and calling it a night. I'll have to slow down during the work week as I wont really have time to brush twice but I'll maintain shock level best I can. Anyone know anything about the letro autofiller? Looks to be capped I'll post a pic later, may remove the cap and see what happens based on feedback or curiosity. Based on some videos I'll wait to check it out when the pool is clean :).

My coworkers husband works at a hardware/pool store and he was confused as to why I wanted the test kit but it is already working out for me. I sent her a picture a little bit ago and she was pretty surprised at the progress I have made.

I think I like the sensitivity of using 50% pool water as a rule at my house, it gives me a middle of the scale reading. I'll do that until the levels are ready to be maintained then I'll go back to 9 mL. Time to go dump 2 gallons of bleach. I also had to add some water back, I'll check my CYA tomorrow evening.

Jared

Cl 20
CYA 40

Today, got off early kid isn't well. He napped I vacuumed.

Service area with newly found hose.

Gonna be hard to deep clean in there no drain, any suggestions?

Need to grab some conectors to bring 2 inch to 1 inch pvc and can hard pipe down the hill.

Jared

Is the room with the pump and filter on an outside wall? You could look at finding the lowest spot along the floor of an outside wall and drill a hole along the floor through the outside wall, run some PVC through, caulk in place then a grate on each end to provide a spot for the water to drain. If the floor in that room slopes down toward the doorway, that might be tough.

Is the room with the pump and filter on an outside wall? You could look at finding the lowest spot along the floor of an outside wall and drill a hole along the floor through the outside wall, run some PVC through, caulk in place then a grate on each end to provide a spot for the water to drain. If the floor in that room slopes down toward the doorway, that might be tough.

Check out post 9 pic 3 right below the pool pump. That is an exterior wall, I dont think putting a drain in that room would work out. However if you look at the service area pics I posted above you will see a 1 inch PVC that just does nothing. I dont know if it went to the heater or if they tried to drain off that and didnt like it. In any event I think the best I can do is 5 or so harbor freight tarps with a few 2x4s to make a dam. Shouldnt be to labor intensive as filter cleaning is only once per season, but I think doing this one is a pretty big priority so I can have a starting point for annual maintenance. Can you tell I work at a manufacturing plant yet?

Texas thanks for the compliment, its a pretty good setup, I plan on running the shop vac through it when I get done I think so it can get dusty again :).

On an unrelated note I had thoughts of flock earlier today but I am going to stay the course you guys have got me this far :cool:.

Jared

If you do not want to make a dam you could use a shop vac to take the sand out and deep clean it in the wheel barrow you dump it into out of the shop vac then put it back in. Less chance of messing up the room to me BUT I am not there and am not the one doing the work. I just throw ideas out to see what sticks! LOL

Kim:cat:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can anyone comment on the length of time it will take me to get this thing cleared up? Am I looking at 2 weeks or perhaps a little less? An educated guess would be great right now. I will start recording in my notebook now just so I'll have some data, I know I am not really close enough yet.

Jared

It looks like you got your test kit on Apr 24th, so that's about when you really started the SLAM. Your pool was definitely very green. It's easy to say that a pool like yours could easily take a couple weeks, maybe a bit more. A lot hinges on the consistency of the FC level, filter cleaning, brushing, etc. But hang in there. The bleach will do what's supposed to.

We had one as short as a week and one as long as a month BUT the major difference was how they Maintained the FC. The week one hit it every other hour..........the month one hit it about 2 times a day. I will let you use that as a sort of guide.

Kim:cat:

Thanks for the info guys. So it looks like I'll be 3 weeks or there a bouts. Realistically I can only adjust FC a few times a day M-F so that will be my limiting factor. I can see it clearing a little near the top but still a ways to go. I officially started on 04/30/16, just wanted to get an idea of what kind of work was in my future. I would like to get away from daily vacuuming and brushing ASAP haha.

Jared

Might be getting close to time for a filter cleaning. Psi on recirculate was around 15 when I started now it is around 17. When I went out it was at 20 with jets not really going. I back flushed a while to get 17.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I decided to do this so I could learn how the pool should function before I actually take over ownership of the final product. I'll know how to clear it up and how each component should look and not based on a little trial and error and alot of reading/youtube.

I was slack yesterday. We have extremely heavy rain so I didn't want to go work in that. I didnt really mess with chlorine levels untl around 9 last night, it got pretty low. I then got up around 430 and put in some good sweeping effort and got back on the sweeping. There is even more dead algae than I have ever seen, pool seemed very gray and turbid. I think progress is being made. I'll probably keep getting up really early to adjust chlorine and sweep. It's hard to see color change at night, I'll do the best I can.

11 more bleach bottles went to recycle. Total is currently 20.

Concerning the sandfilter I thought about grabbing additional sand and swapping it out to a 55 gallon trashcan to clean. However I'll have to check how much sand I need that could become pricey. They dont sell my model anymore but it looks like it is probably 300 lbs, based on a quick search that'd be doable. I could then always have some ready to go at all times. That may be my best course of action.

A little more of the same. When vacuuming last night the filter wasn't filling up as fast as it had in the past so progress is being made even though I can't see it. I started taking pics of the steps so I could have an easily view-able reference point.

Additional question. My deck drain has alot of dirt and debris in it. It's not removable and I was wondering if anyone had a good way to push all that stuff out? Maybe a plumbing snake?

Jared

There are 4 inch drain pipes that allow the water to come out but I was specifcally talking about the surround drain, on the deck. They dont flow very fast and I can't come up with a way to clean them out without removing them. I may try a plumber. It isn't blocked exaclty just not functioning great. Works ok for pool splashes I suspect but when it rains really hard it takes a while to clear the water. I may buy the bladder to see if there is anything I can do with it.

I have an endoscopic camera that I will run in the drain and see how it looks.

Jared

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.