Brand new to pools not chemistry :)

CH-20
TA-50

Based on thst in pool math I'll need 110 lbs cacl2, around 10 lbs baking soda, and 60 lbs boric acid, salt is currently reading 2900 which is in range for the swg instructions. I saw something on salt concentration here somewhere I'll find that.

Adding all this will take a few additions I suspect. I can't see any reason to add anything independently of one another please let me know if I am over simplifying. Unless otherwise directed I'll add all that check the pH and adjust. Check all levels and call it a day.

I'd add the boric acid after CYA, cacl2, and bicarbonate.

Thanks
Jared

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have gathered all the necessary provisions. A coworker helped me gather all the stuff needed so as soon as I am cleared up I'll be able to add the chemicals mentioned above. I am pretty clear, slightly cloudy so I think I'll start determining CC nightly at this point. I'll also take FC in the morning so I can see if I am approaching completion. I am still in need of a new bulb but wanted to ensure the light fixture was still operational before I plunked down for a nice LED bulb. I'll post data tomorrow morning and daily until I am ready to finish everything up. After reading on here about how people have spent thousands on chemicals with poor results I feel fortunate to have gotten this done with very little problems.

This was during the rain, still a few leaves and such to remove but I just saw that is what the large net is for haha.

I will be repairing the turbo cell cleaner unit there are alot of trees around.

Thanks
Jared

That CH seems abnormally low. How many drops did it take to produce the color change? With a 10 mL sample, results are usually multiples of 25 so that drew my attention as well.

EDIT:

Also, I wouldn't mess with the TA yet either. With the SWG running, low TA is a good thing. See how your pH acts once you get into maintenance mode after the SLAM before touching the TA level.

That CH seems abnormally low. How many drops did it take to produce the color change? With a 10 mL sample, results are usually multiples of 25 so that drew my attention as well.

EDIT:

Also, I wouldn't mess with the TA yet either. With the SWG running, low TA is a good thing. See how your pH acts once you get into maintenance mode after the SLAM before touching the TA level.

Based on the instructions I used 25 mL pool water and it took 2 drops based on my math. I cant recall exactly right now. The titration went smoothly and since my pool is probably 50-70% city tap water and their annual reported indicated approximately 30 ppm CH I didn't feel as if that was to far off reality. I'll perform again tonight and use 10 mL of water to save on reagents as you mentioned.

Edit:

I think I took an initial CH reading initially that I forgot to post and it was around 40 if I recall correctly. I wrote it down in a note book at home.

Thanks
Jared

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

I can't remember if I have shown you this ^^^ just in case here it is.

Just think about this............you could SEE the leaves! how neat is that???????? LOL

Kim:cat:

Yep it cleared up pretty good. Plaster is actually in pretty good condition, a few patches to be made but for 15 years old I am pretty happy.

I ended up getting my chemicals for the pool store dun dun duunnnnnnnnnnnnn. For the amounts needed they actually provided the best value. I also work with a lady whose husband works at a pool store, I got a slight discount making it even more competitive. All in the chemicals costed in total around $300 this includes testing kit cost not sure if that is good or bad seems pretty decent to me.

The pool light doesnt work but I have a GFCI to replace so I am still hopeful. When I opened it to see if it had power at the wires a couple drops of water came out of the box so I'll have to watch that, not really sure how that could even happen. I suspect I got some on it at some point. I grabbed some readings and left them out in the building, I'll put them up tomorrow along with the daily set. I know the

CH=30

so I feel pretty confident in that and the 110 lbs CaCl2 I'll be using. I am not sure how clear "clear" should be so I am going to look around on the forum. I can see the drains now but it seems a touch cloudy in the deep end, but there is alot more water there. Will post pics tomorrow.

Jared

Clear means crystal clear to pass the SLAM requirement. On the CaCl2, I recommend adding it in several increments and testing in between just to make sure you don't overshoot. The only method to reduce it is a partial drain (just like with CYA). That, and I just OD'd mine somehow. Not too bad but if I'd would of practiced what I preach, it wouldn't have happened.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Clear means crystal clear to pass the SLAM requirement. On the CaCl2, I recommend adding it in several increments and testing in between just to make sure you don't overshoot. The only method to reduce it is a partial drain (just like with CYA). That, and I just OD'd mine somehow. Not too bad but if I'd would of practiced what I preach, it wouldn't have happened.

I actually planned on dumping 50 lbs in letting it dissolve, then doing around 30 and letting it dissolve and checking it. If I am good to start chemicals by Saturday, I have a birthday party to attend, I will open a bag and leave then come back add more and check at bedtime. Will probably also add CYA in that same manner 4 or so pounds at a time took a while to dissolve that last time. I ended up having to manually press it a fair amount to speed it up. 15 to 20 minutes of me messing with it because I wanted it done faster.

Thanks
Jared

Test for tonight

FC=15
TC=15
CC=0

Looks like I am pretty good. I'll go ahead and check it around 530 tomorrow AM before I head out and see how it looks. I am going to hold it until Saturday regardless of the result. Went and grabbed a new GFCI, it is broken had to order one dang. I did a little vacuuming, my wife has been missing a few spots I will never tell her :thumleft:.

Other than that all is pretty quiet here cant wait to see how it goes tomorrow. I found the tile that broke off in the water haha so getting that out has been fun and those sticks in the deep end man they are difficult.

Thanks
Jared

3a84f3f2faddf291be70483aa985d571.jpg

df53f3b356a2f9d6bdf55fc156dc5262.jpg

looking better. good enough?

passed oclt two nights in a row.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was marveling at your pool progress again and started to wonder about the volume. My pool is 29K gallons (measured from the CAD drawings and verified when I filled it by truckload) and is 924 sq ft (lagoon L 31'x40') with an 8 ft deep end. I could be wrong, but your pool looks like it might be smaller than mine. I know that volume number was given to you by the realtor, but you might want to try a pool calculator to verify. It'll be a useful number when you start dialing in the pool math. I'm probably wrong, 'cause photos can be deceiving. But it would be useful to verify before messing up the balance with the wrong amount of chemicals.

Of course it is pouring rain when I finally get home to do some more working/picture taking. I did a quick step off with my umbrella and got 37x17 9 ft deep end I think the shallow end is 4 ft but I could be wrong. Based on that the calculator said 31k gallons. There was however this:

Those were the people that had the pool added so I suspect it is accurate.

If it stops raining I'll get my headlight and go out and grab a night shot that should be very telling. I'll need to add some more bleach anyway.

Jared

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.