New Home Owner - Green Pool

History has shown that it is important to not fall BELOW shock level when performing a slam. If you have to go over a bit because you will not be around to test, that's okay. Just don't go overboard with the FC. Your fiberglass pool should be fine.

So I went to the pool store to get my water tested because I don't like doing science without numbers. I realize pool stores are not known for their accuracy, but ball park is better than nothing right?

FC: 3
TC: 3
CH: 325
CYA: 60
TA: 30 (he did this one twice, and checked the computer system - it was 100 two or three weeks ago)
pH: 7.4
Copper: 0
Iron: 0
Total dissolved solids: 2500
Phosphates: 100

When I got home I added 2 gallons of bleach which should have raised my FC to around 21

The only thing I "might" possibly accept as reliable from the pool store test is pH and metals. CH and TA are questionable. Never their CYA as they test indoors which contradicts Taylor instructions. FC is a guess as well. TA ... what could have happened (in their mind) to explain such a change from 100 to 30? That's a good example of inconsistency. Nevertheless, we know it's tough to do nothing and wait. When you get your test kit in the mail, you will be amazed at the difference between their numbers and yours. For now, simply adding about a gallon of bleach daily should hold you over until the kit arrives.

Do I see a 188 or an 881 in that pool?
Umm... That's really weird... I see it in the picture too but I've never seen it in the pool and it's not in the other pictures either. I'll have to take a closer look when the water clears up.

You are nailing it! How did the vacuuming go? NICE job!!

Kim
The vacuuming went fine. The in-line leaf trap doesn't seal very well so there's a small air leak sometimes. It's annoying but if I spin it so that part of the lid is underwater the line doesn't fill with air and I still get plenty of suction to clean the pool. I havent messed with it very much to see if I can fix it yet, but it's been like that for a while.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, the way things are going I may not have to SLAM for very long to finish up the process.

I am definitely loving the TFP process. I am a very science minded person so having a formula and procedure to follow to maintain the water is fantastic.

Since we can't really discuss much of the science before my test kit shows up I will share some of the back story on how we got to today with the pool. We have never taken care of a pool before so after buying the house in November it's been a huge learning curve figuring it all out.

At first, Leslie's helped a lot with explaining how our equipment works, such as how to clean the filter and what some of our attachments are for, but I was never fully comfortable with their water chemistry advice. The only place we've really been "pool stored" is the chlorine. Leslie's told us the chlorine granules were the highest quality chlorine they had and that liquid chlorine was not as good for the pool. They explained that the liquid chlorine adds salt to the pool and the granules don't add anything bad. I havent had time to research that yet so I took their advice.

The previous owners used a pool service to maintain the pool. When we took over ownership of the house we also took over maintenance of the pool. They had the pool at shock levels of chlorine for the sale so I don't think we added anything to the water for a couple months. After that we added the granular chlorine (which I now know has CYA in it). We only had "guess strips" and the pool store for water testing so we were really just guessing how much chlorine to add (which probably wasn't enough). The water is just now getting to the point where it might be warm enough to swim in on occasion so I actually think it's fortunate we had the algae problem now because that's what led me to TFP.

In my research about solving the algae problem most of the sites I found were either from this site, pointed to this site, or said the same thing as this site. Between that and the logical science based approach I feel much more comfortable following the formulas outlined here than the guess and check mystery potion method of the pool stores.

Thanks everyone, this site is awesome!

Unreal what some science and real world testing can do for something huh? LOL

If you would to you can become a site support to help us keep the lights on for you and others that have not found us yet. You will get more photo storage and a discount of the test kit. Here is the link:

CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!!

Thanks for the kind words! THAT is why we do what we do!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.