Hayward AQR15 Aqua Rite

Just an update:
Since my new T15 cell was making excessive scale, Hayward went ahead and changed it out. Since then I have been able to maintain 4 to 5 ppm in my pool running the new cell at about 32% for eight hours. Also, so far the scale is no longer a issue. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Test result this morning:
C -5
CC - 0
PH -7.3
TA- 90
CH- 425
Salt- 3200
CYA -65
Borates - 15
Temp - 86

Been adding around 30 ounces of MA each day with my waterfalls going for aeration trying to lower TA further.

I do have a question, if I run my two waterfalls and fountain in my wading pool, how long should it take to raise my pH? I will try to attach a video to show you how much water moment we're talking about. I would like to get more aggressive to get my TA down below 80 so I can add more borates, I actually would like to get it down below 70. I have been letting pH rise naturally and lowering with acid but I would like to get more aggressive with the aeration, just don't know what to expect as far as timewise. It will go from 7.2 to about 7.6 in a day by itself.

https://vimeo.com/176874777

Ha! True that! 90 seems to be the sticking point for me, I got it that low once before but struggled getting lower, so I am going to run those water features hopefully or I can slam it with acid. I want to bump up the borates just a bit, but want to wait till I get that TA down a bit further. It's kind of strange, even though the TA is down to 90 the acid demand remains about the same but the TA seems to stabilize. Never a dull moment.... Lol

My experience is that the lowering of TA happens mostly when the pH is in the low 7's. Between 7.0 and 7.3. Starting your aeration with 7.2 won't do much. You need to drop the pH to around 7 and aerate for a few hours. Check the pH, and drop it back down to 7 again. Repeat the process several times and you will see the TA drop. Once you are near the target, just aerate a bit longer to bring the pH back up to its target. The may put your CSI in a low state, but it's only there while you are actively lowering the TA. Once done you rebalance.

Chiefwej, I thought anything below 7.2 could damage equipment? It's going to 7.0 OK to do?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agreed on all of the above. Take it to 7.0 if you want to get it done. But also fair to mention you're not saving acid whether you lower TA slow or fast. It will take you virtually the same total amount of acid. All you can do is make additions in the future less frequent, which is a valuable convenience depending on your circumstances, such as week-long work travel. The acid for the most part offsets incoming TA (mostly fill water and curing plaster), sometimes offset by rainfall, then draining. I had to work through this decision, and several experts said just let it happen unless it's urgent to spread out your maintenance.

Fastest: TA lowering procedure
Medium: Add acid weekly but go lower, i.e. 7.0/7.2
Slowest: Add acid twice a week and stay at 7.5 to 7.8

I ran the water features all day yesterday and kept my pH around 7.2, maybe slightly lower, and was able to lower it to 80. I will try to do the same today and see if I can continue to get it down. If I can be aggressive and get it I think I'll go all the way to 60. I would like to get it down as far as possible since my fill water has a TA of around 350. We have been getting a fair amount of rain, but that won't continue.

A pH of 7.0 will not damage your pool equipment. In fact 7.0 is defined as pH neutral. We generally maintain the pH in our pools on the base side to protect plaster and for swimmer comfort. A short period with a neutral pH won't harm anything.

Checked my TA today, got a reading of 70, unbelievable. Keeping the PH at 7.2 constantly has really dropped the TA. I will aureate back up to 7.6 again hopefully to get to that 60 measurement. It is eating the acid, but that is A OK with me.

OK, I'm finally there with a TA of 60. It took daily acid doses but I'm finally there. So now my question is I just let it be and see were my pH settles out?

Current numbers as of a few minutes ago:
C - 5
TC - 5.5
Ph - 7.4
CH - 425
TA - 60
CYA - 65
Salt - 3200
Borates - ~15
Temp - 86
Current CSI = -.43
CSI if ph- 7.6 = -.26
CSI if ph - 7.8 = -.09

I think if everything else stays the same and I allow pH to hopefully settle out at 7.8 or less, hopefully it's golden?

I'm not sure what you mean about raised beam....are you talking about how high are my water features off the water? If so I would say you're talking ~5 feet from water to top, water prob actually falls ~4'.

I am on my way home now, when I get home in a bit I will actually measure it and give you exact dimensions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.